Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 3867

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    MADA
    Make America Dead Again.
    But remember to keep blaming China (not the bat).
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    unbeliever
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post

So it remains a valid question: Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?
    The death rate for the flu stands at .01%. As far as the coronavirus, since it is new disease, the data is incomplete, but as of now its rate is at 2.3%.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by little_monkey View Post
    Ok, let's compare to Canada. They have 8.5K cases as of today. At 9 times their population, the US should have 76K. Instead there are 180K, more than double... failed leadership it is.
    There are only a handful of countries that have a higher per-capita infection rate than the U.S. Of the U.S., Italy, Spain, China, Germany, France, Iran, UK, Switzerland, Turkey, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, South Korea, and Canada (the 15 countries with them most infections at this moment), the U.S. is first in total infections. It is 3rd for most deaths behind only Italy and Spain. It is 10th for infections per million behind Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, and the Netherlands (in that order). We have 563 infections per million. The average for those 15 countries is 112.26. It is 10th for deaths per million behind Italy, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Iran, UK, and Austria (also in that order). We have 11.37 deaths per million. The average for those 15 countries is 5.5.

ETA: it should be noted that the numbers from China are significantly driving down the average for the group, due to its large populations. The China numbers are dubious.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-31-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Probably a healthy move on his part, he's a good guy actually.
    Yes - he is...

There's not a lot he and I agree on, but he is fundamentally a good person.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The death rate for the flu stands at .01%. As far as the coronavirus, since it is new disease, the data is incomplete, but as of now its rate is at 2.3%.
    But it is no doubt going to remain a valid question according to MM. And there is seemingly no need to tell anyone that the numbers would have been different had it not been for the fact that very many people are self isolating.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think you have an extra zero. The commonly cited statistic for the flu is 0.1%. As a novel virus, we don't know the exact number for the coronavirus, but it seems clear it is above 1% and probably below 5%, making it 10-50 times as deadly. The reason we haven't seen as many deaths domestically thus far is a) we are early in the outbreak, and b) this virus is receiving attention and mitigation not received by the flu since 1918. We have not seen this level of social isolation, travel restrictions, and work closures for any flu outbreak. That gives the flu greater latitude to move through the population.

We'd better HOPE we don't see the kind of motion through the population. With the kind of mortality it has, if this virus were to infect the population as widely as the flu, we would be counting worldwide deaths in millions and domestic deaths in at least hundreds of thousands.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Trump was golfing with members of a championship team who had been invited to the White House, so it was a bit different than Obama hitting the links by himself. Here is the link that carpe originally posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ers-in-florida

The links he posted in his response to you are about Trump's overall golfing habits, which is a bait-and-switch on his part because he knows his selective outrage (angry at Trump for mentioning TV ratings; fine with Obama out golfing while thousands were dying from the swine flue) doesn't give him a leg to stand on here.

Oh, wait, he's just trolling us. Yeah, that's it.
    It is not a matter of who and when they play golf. It is matter of who provided the leadership in a pandemic crisis. Obama followed the science advisors proactively, and Trump waited for over six weeks.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just a quick point on China, they have recently allowed the people in Wuhan to collect the ashes of their deceased relatives and there were said to be more than 200,000 urns. I find it hard to believe that only 3000 were due to the corona virus.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nati...death-toll/amp

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    But it is no doubt going to remain a valid question according to MM.
    How wonderful it is to have you speak for me, but as little monkey helpfully pointed out, it remains a valid question, at least for now, "since it is new disease [and] the data is incomplete". We will get a fuller picture in time, but that probably won't happen for many months.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    Just a quick point on China, they have recently allowed the people in Wuhan to collect the ashes of their deceased relatives and there were said to be more than 200,000 urns. I find it hard to believe that only 3000 were due to the corona virus.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/nati...death-toll/amp
    OK - I don't think China is being honest about its numbers - but I also don't think we should be adding to the confusion. Where does the 200,000 number come from? I am not finding it in the article you linked.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-31-2020 at 04:52 PM.