Page 373 of 407 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4066

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    People aren't doing this to save themselves alone, they're doing it because they value the lives of others as well.
    It's interesting to see how little people in the US value the lives of others, compared to what I'm used to in my country. It's quite a difference in culture.

One of my evangelical friends here in New Zealand commented to me years ago that he thought right-wingers in the US valued human life a lot less than people in the rest of the Western world, and that this explained their positions on quite a lot of things (Death penalty, guns, war, healthcare, poverty etc).
    Last edited by Starlight; 05-20-2020 at 12:15 AM.

2. Amen EvoUK, JimL, Roy amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    We are overvaluing mere survival and undervaluing "living."
    Norrin - I am sheltering in place - I am wearing a mask - I am social distancing - I am unemployed - and I am certainly living. I exercise each day. I go for walks with my wife. I help my neighbors. I watch a bit of TV. I'm reading more than before. I'm fixing things in my house and planting my gardens. My life did not end because a pandemic caused me to change my daily habits.

You have to survive in order to live. And "living" is a choice you make after you have survived.

What I am seeing is this (which I posted before):

Government to 1940's military: We have enemies. We need you to go to that beach and push the enemy back. Thousands of you will die.
    1940's military to Government: We understand. We'll do it!

Government to 2020 citizens: There's a pandemic. We need you to practice social distancing, wear a mask, avoid gathering more than 10, and shelter in place except for urgent needs to minimize loss of life.
    2020 citizens to Government: How DARE you! You are turning this country into a dictatorship!

Yeah...makes a lot of sense to me...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

4. Amen JimL, oxmixmudd, little_monkey amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    It's interesting to see how little people in the US value the lives of others, compared to what I'm used to in my country. It's quite a difference in culture.

One of my evangelical friends here in New Zealand commented to me years ago that he thought right-wingers in the US valued human life a lot less than people in the rest of the Western world, and that this explained their positions on quite a lot of things (Death penalty, guns, war, healthcare, poverty etc).
    One of my conservative friends was just asking me why people in New Zealand think they are the only ones who value life properly. I told him their water swirls in reverse.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Government to 2020 citizens: There's a pandemic. We need you to practice social distancing, wear a mask, avoid gathering more than 10, and shelter in place except for urgent needs to minimize loss of life.
    2020 citizens to Government: How DARE you! You are turning this country into a dictatorship!
    To some extent I could have understood this behavior if it had happened under Obama's tenure, back when the right was doing their tongue in cheek game of pretending Obama was a dictator while winking at their fellows (with a few of the dumber ones, including some on this site, drinking the Kool-Aid of course)...

...but Trump is a Republican. (And plenty of the states taking reasonable lockdown measures are governed by Republicans) There's some serious double-think of "dictatorship! bad!"... "Trump! good!" happening.

7. Amen JimL, oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    To some extent I could have understood this behavior if it had happened under Obama's tenure, back when the right was doing their tongue in cheek game of pretending Obama was a dictator while winking at their fellows (with a few of the dumber ones, including some on this site, drinking the Kool-Aid of course)...

...but Trump is a Republican. (And plenty of the states taking reasonable lockdown measures are governed by Republicans) There's some serious double-think of "dictatorship! bad!"... "Trump! good!" happening.
    Donald "Double Think" Trump. It's in his initials. It's in his Genes. And it is a prerequisite for being able to support him.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Norrin - I am sheltering in place - I am wearing a mask - I am social distancing - I am unemployed - and I am certainly living. I exercise each day. I go for walks with my wife. I help my neighbors. I watch a bit of TV. I'm reading more than before. I'm fixing things in my house and planting my gardens. My life did not end because a pandemic caused me to change my daily habits.

You have to survive in order to live. And "living" is a choice you make after you have survived.

What I am seeing is this (which I posted before):

Government to 1940's military: We have enemies. We need you to go to that beach and push the enemy back. Thousands of you will die.
    1940's military to Government: We understand. We'll do it!

Yeah...makes a lot of sense to me...
    That was the "Greatest Generation". This is ... not that (literally).
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It means you should be a little more careful before throwing around "reading is hard" and such extreme snark towards those who are clearly your intellectual betters. RWNJs are just so unfathomably lazy and want all the credibility and accolades for hard intellectual work but are totally unwilling to lift a finger to accomplish those things.

Do better and be more humble.
    Sayeth the person that tucks his tail between his legs and runs away when proved wrong. At least I have the humility and intellect to admit to being wrong, you?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Sayeth the person that tucks his tail between his legs and runs away when proved wrong. At least I have the humility and intellect to admit to being wrong, you?
    Point me to where I have done this and I will gladly respond to any message I missed.

And the larger issue I take is not you making a mistake (you're an RWNJ, it's what your kind does), it's the level of contempt and derision you display. You somehow think we're on similar intellectual footing when we're *not* and it's *not close*. Knock it off and learn something.

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It means you should be a little more careful before throwing around "reading is hard" and such extreme snark towards those who are clearly your intellectual betters. RWNJs are just so unfathomably lazy and want all the credibility and accolades for hard intellectual work but are totally unwilling to lift a finger to accomplish those things.

Do better and be more humble.
    Wow. Arrogantly telling someone you are their intellectual better and then telling THEM to be more humble...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

13. Amen rogue06, lilpixieofterror amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Wow. Arrogantly telling someone you are their intellectual better and then telling THEM to be more humble...
    That's right. As I've said to you in the past, one rule from the BK Warren and Robert Turkel days was that you are allowed to respond in kind. LPoE seems to think that rudeness and hostility is a virtue so that's how I'm speaking to her. If she cares to pump the brakes on her contempt I'll be glad to do so as well.