Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    I've been saying for a while now that the US is in the middle of a culture war, and has been for a few decades. Ideas/values are supported or opposed not based on the ideas/values themselves, but who they came from.

This helps explain why the people who support the proliferation of firearms are the same who claim to value the lives of the unborn. To be sure, there must be some corresponding "disconnect" on the left side of the fence here, but I just can't think of an example at the moment...
    It's also interesting that most of the people saying "I don't need a mask - God will take care of me!*" do not seem to apply that same philosophy to guns.

*Not to mention, that this statement completely ignores the purpose masks serve: protection of others - not protection of the self.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Or...alternatively...you can take the high road.

The behavior of others should not be the basis for your decision on how YOU want to behave. When you make it so, you give them control over who and what you are. "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" is a philosophy that leaves the whole world blind and gumming their food.
      I understand your point but everything I've seen convinces me that RWNJs mistake politeness and humility for weakness. If they didn't they wouldn't mistake Trump's child-like behavior for being a manly man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Wow. Arrogantly telling someone you are their intellectual better and then telling THEM to be more humble...
        Good thing that you have more humility in your little finger than he has in his entire body.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          That's right. As I've said to you in the past, one rule from the BK Warren and Robert Turkel days was that you are allowed to respond in kind. LPoE seems to think that rudeness and hostility is a virtue so that's how I'm speaking to her. If she cares to pump the brakes on her contempt I'll be glad to do so as well.
          Spare me your wounded puppy routine. You start fights all the time and whine when you’re given a bloody nose. Can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't think you know what irony means. How was my comment "ironic"?
            a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

You calling yourself intellectually superior was intended???
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Point me to where I have done this and I will gladly respond to any message I missed.

And the larger issue I take is not you making a mistake (you're an RWNJ, it's what your kind does), it's the level of contempt and derision you display. You somehow think we're on similar intellectual footing when we're *not* and it's *not close*. Knock it off and learn something.
              Sweety, I display contempt for you because you passive aggressive contempt for myself is as obvious as the nose on your face. Don’t like it, change your attitude, but see... I admit when I make a mistake. That is what humility and intellectual fortitude looks like. Try it sometime, maybe you might learn something!
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-20-2020, 03:29 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't think you know what irony means. How was my comment "ironic"?
                “Be more humble, like me!”

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  “Be more humble, like me!”

"The world would be a far better place if everyone was as smart and humble as I am."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sweety, I display contempt for you because you passive aggressive contempt for myself is as obvious as the nose on your face. Don’t like it, change your attitude, but see... I admit when I make a mistake. That is what humility and intellectual fortitude looks like. Try it sometime, maybe you might learn something!
                    Quote me where I am *passive aggressive* towards you! I've been plenty *aggressive* towards you but certainly not *passive* aggressive.

Sheesh.

And humility is apportioned to ones capabilities. Is Steph Curry accurately pointing out that you can't guard him showing a lack of humility? Or is it simply a fact because he's one of the best who ever played the game?

Comment

... Is Steph Curry accurately pointing out that you can't guard him showing a lack of humility...
                      YES! That's EXACTLY what that is...
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        YES! That's EXACTLY what that is...
                        Let's explore this. If I ask Steph Curry "Do you think I am likely to win in a one-on-one match with you?" how should he answer both humbly and truthfully?

Comment

Quote me where I am *passive aggressive* towards you! I've been plenty *aggressive* towards you but certainly not *passive* aggressive.
                          Is this the part of the game where you try to sound clever, but fail and fail badly?

And humility is apportioned to ones capabilities. Is Steph Curry accurately pointing out that you can't guard him showing a lack of humility? Or is it simply a fact because he's one of the best who ever played the game?
                          Apparently it is, but you’re no Steph Curry and any sports fan knows that sooner or later, a better player comes along. Sports fans also know that even the best lose, even the best make mistakes, the best need to practice, and even after all that, age catches up and the best is no longer the best (just as Jorden). Do you have something else silly to add ‘humble one’?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I understand your point but everything I've seen convinces me that RWNJs mistake politeness and humility for weakness. If they didn't they wouldn't mistake Trump's child-like behavior for being a manly man.
                            Again - what they think of you doesn't change who and what you are. Only you can do that. Blaming them doesn't change the fact that it is you making the decision to sink into the muck with them.

And believe me, I understand. I have sunk into the muck with them more than once. Funny thing is, I have found that I am treated the same way whether I sink into the muck with them or stay true to who I want to be. And I feel MUCH better about myself when I do the latter. Unfortunately...I still am not 100% consistent about that.

My wife says I'm a work in progress...
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Is this the part of the game where you try to sound clever, but fail and fail badly?
                              Feel free to embarrass me. Start out by defining "passive aggressive" and we'll see if that describes me or not :).

Apparently it is, but you’re no Steph Curry and any sports fan knows that sooner or later, a better player comes along. Sports fans also know that even the best lose, even the best make mistakes, the best need to practice, and even after all that, age catches up and the best is no longer the best (just as Jorden). Do you have something else silly to add ‘humble one’?
                              I wasn't aware of Michael's maiden name. Learn something new every day!

Comment

Feel free to embarrass me. Start out by defining "passive aggressive" and we'll see if that describes me or not :).

I wasn't aware of Michael's maiden name. Learn something new every day!
                                So humble!
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment