Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Trump is an evil fool.
    Well that sums up your law and prophets I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
      Well that sums up your law and prophets I suppose.
      Huh!?!?!?!

How do you consider the Covid-19 pandemic in terms of 'law and prophets?'
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I never understood why, specifically, bars were reopening. People drink and lose their sense of the need to distance. They talk loud and force more particles from their mouth when they lean over to "whisper" in your ear that they love you...
        Bill I am so very glad we agree.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Widely available and inexpensive, Dexamethasone significantly improves outcomes in critical cases, reducing deaths by about 1/3 I hear on BBC news.
          We had quite a few prescriptions dispensed for dexamethasone earlier in the year. Due to my location many people (epidemiologists included) suspect that our region caught it early in the year. Pneumonia with unknown etiology was pretty strongly present in a significant number of people I serve. And a significant number suddenly lost their lives. The official causes are not known However the vast majority went....Well they caught a bad cold that suddenly turned into untreatable pneumonia, and they just died.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            We had quite a few prescriptions dispensed for dexamethasone earlier in the year. Due to my location many people (epidemiologists included) suspect that our region caught it early in the year. Pneumonia with unknown etiology was pretty strongly present in a significant number of people I serve. And a significant number suddenly lost their lives. The official causes are not known However the vast majority went....Well they caught a bad cold that suddenly turned into untreatable pneumonia, and they just died.
            Across the country uncounted COVID-19 casualties.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The case is as presented and documented that surge and high rate of infections in June is based on the surge of severe cases and hospitalizations, and not high numbers of testing.
              You obviously didn't read the sources I've linked to if you think this answers anything I've referenced.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Huh!?!?!?!

How do you consider the Covid-19 pandemic in terms of 'law and prophets?'
                When I see a man hating and calling his enemies evil, while at the same time expressing the law of the Lord, the hypocrisy becomes notable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                  When I see a man hating and calling his enemies evil, while at the same time expressing the law of the Lord, the hypocrisy becomes notable.
                  Still not clear, nor relevant except for your religious perspective.

Note: The Jews called their enemies evil and Godless, and wagged war in tribal context. Archaeology demonstrates that it is basically tribal human nature. hypocrisy noted.

I would not use term 'evil' concerning Donald Trump, but it is descriptive of those that supported him for selfish religious motive to subvert the secular nature, and the separation of church and state.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-04-2020, 10:37 AM.

Frank

Comment

• New study by the Henry Ford Health Clinic finds that Hydroxychloroquine significantly decreases China flu mortality. CNN expresses its shock and dismay at this "surprising" (but not really since it just confirms what we already knew) study.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...media-shocked/
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-04-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      New study by the Henry Ford Health Clinic finds that Hydroxychloroquine significantly decreases China flu mortality. CNN expresses its shock and dismay at this "surprising" (but not really since it just confirms what we already knew) study.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...media-shocked/
                      Conservativetreehouse.com

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                        Conservativetreehouse.com

You're on a roll with this genetic fallacy thing, aren't you?

How about a response that actually addresses the study instead of dismissing the messenger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          You're on a roll with this genetic fallacy thing, aren't you?

How about a response that actually addresses the study instead of dismissing the messenger?
                          Says the resident ad hom guy?

Comment

• I previously predicted the second peak in the course of the pandemic, but as far as the USA goes it was more severe and prolonged than other countries. I did not propose specifically a cause just followed the trends in other countries. The following is an article that demonstrates a possible likely the primary cause:

Source: https://abc11.com/health/duke-researchers-help-discover-mutation-that-spreads-coronavirus-faster/6295577/

Duke researchers help discover gene mutation that spreads the coronavirus faster

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Researchers at Duke University's School of Medicine helped discover a new strain of coronavirus.

Dr. David Montefiori, a professor of surgery who also serves as Director of the Laboratory for AIDS Vaccine Research and Development, explained it was caused by a gene mutation.

"We're looking at the genetic sequence of the virus, and in particular we're looking at the sequence of the spike protein. This is a protein that's on the surface of a virus, that the virus uses to attach to a cell, and to get into a cell," explained Dr. Montefiori.

Scientists from around the world sequence isolates from infected people and deposit those sequences into a central database which was originally designed for the flu virus.

"Once those sequences are deposited into the database, scientists have access to those sequences to analyze them. And my colleague at Los Alamos National Laboratory Dr. Bette Korber, who is an expert at analyzing sequences and we have been collaborating together for many years on HIV, she immediately started analyzing the spike sequences in that database that were coming in from around the world. And we were both interested in whether or not mutations might arise that showed evidence of spreading in the human population - that many people would show evidence of being infected with a virus that carries a mutation in it."

Dr. Montefiori explained how fast the mutation spread.

"(Dr. Korber) noticed this mutation that we call D614G in the spike protein that was found in about six people in very early March. So it became a mutation of interest because of showing some evidence of spreading, suggesting that it might have a fitness advantage. And within weeks, it was found in more and more people. As more and more sequences came into the database, more and more of those sequences had this mutation. And it just kept spreading. By the end of April, it was now the dominant strain of the virus globally," said Dr. Montefiori.

While researchers do not believe this strain is more dangerous than the original strain, there is still cause for concern.

"It appears to spread faster. And that's probably why the virus liked the mutation and why it's so dominant because it provided an advantage to the virus to spread easier. And that's what a virus wants to do to survive. It wants to be able to transmit," said Dr. Montefiori.

Dr. Montefiori did not believe this mutation is the reason why the United States has so many more cases, hospitalizations, and deaths than any other country.

"For example you look at Italy - this is the dominant form of the virus in Italy, it was the dominant form almost from the very beginning, and things were very bad over there. And they have it under control. And the same is true for other parts of the world," Dr. Montefiori explained.

He added that treatments for COVID-19 typically target other parts of the virus, so the mutation should not have any impact.

The focus is now on determining whether the mutation could affect a potential vaccine, which was based on the original strain found in Wuhan, China.

RELATED: Duke health official questions effectiveness of COVID-19 antibody testing

"We have data that - very encouraging data - that this mutation is not going to have an effect on immunotherapeutics and the vaccines. But it's preliminary data," said Dr. Montefiori, who first shared this information with ABC11.

Researchers will continue to run experiments before submitting the findings for publication.

Dr. Montefiori explained the discovery of the mutation reinforces the need to vigilantly wear face masks and social distancing guidelines.

© Copyright Original Source

This brings up the interesting controversial genetic patterned mutations that are in a way genetically based for the survival of the virus. The parallel pattern of the infection in many different countries means that the different infections had an increase in infections that are independent. It may indicate that it is the virus is responding to the immunity mutate uniformly in population to population.

Patterned mutation is how flues and cold viruses mutate in response to the immunity developed by the host in this case us. The type of patterned mutation is flues and colds is variations on projections on the virus that infect the host

This does not explain the greater infection and fatality rate in the USA in June than other countries particularly in the June surge. It is possible that a lack of proactive, aggressive and consistent actions to reduce the impact of the pandemic may contribute.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-04-2020, 12:34 PM.

Frank

Comment

I appreciate the irony.

Comment

Every kind of fallacy you can think of pretty much. In another thread the results of one study proves that not only all other studies are wrong but that the government has an agenda. One study, which probably isn't even peer reviewed. Confirmation bias, much?

He's a moron. As a fact rather than an ad hominem.

Comment