Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The best part is that if Hillary was president and did the exact same things Trump is doing, the media would be telling us how masterfully she's handling the crisis and that there is no reason for alarm. Heck, that's what they said about Obama's lackadaisical response to the swine flu!
    Yup. He waited until after we had something like a thousand dead before being bothered to respond, but he was praised upon high for his response. Of course that was when they were trying to ram Obamacare down our throats so absolutely no criticism of the government's response would be tolerated by the MSM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      If maximum crowd size rules violate the First Amendment then that would mean all the fire code laws that set a maximum number of people in a particular location would be a violation as well.
      I think "particular location" is the key difference here.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Maybe if those suffering from TDS hadn't mocked him when he was trying to take action against the Coronavirus months ago and instead took this seriously we might be in a better state of preparation. Thanks.
        Trump has yet to explain why he disbanded his global health team. According to Trump, "you can never really think is going to happen," but the NSC's team existed precisely because officials recognized the possible threat.

“The testing system for coronavirus in the US is currently failing, a top health official has admitted. "The system is not really geared to what we need right now... let's admit it," said Dr Anthony Fauci from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Authorities in the US have come under fire for carrying out far fewer tests than many other affected countries”.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51860529
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
          Wow, more speculative crap that doesn't help anyone. Political point scoring, from the heartless fool.

Meanwhile your liar in chief continues to not take the situation seriously, the stock market crashed as the world has no confidence in his leadership (go figure), and continues to lie through his crooked teeth:

Trump: “Frankly, the testing has been going very smooth.” He added: “We have heavily tested.”

Reality: to date there have been 11,000 tests (the majority in the last two weeks) - S. Korea tests 10,000 people, per day. It has a population 1/6 that of the US.

We are three months into a crises that was wholly predictable, the US's abysmal failure to ramp up its response, that is.
          So what color is the sky in the world where this is all Trump's fault? Trump was trying to take action back in January and was met by mockery from the left and when they finally started taking it seriously their first reaction was to start trying to figure out a way to blame Trump. You know, like the New York Times calling it Trumpvirus and saying "if you're feeling awful, you know who to blame."

And wistfully hoping how it might be "Trump's Katrina" showing how the major concern was how this might negatively affect his presidency.

And concocting claims thoroughly debunked claims that Trump hamstrung the CDC (something still be pushed on various talking head shows on various cable news programs).

Comment

Maybe if those suffering from TDS hadn't mocked him when he was trying to take action against the Coronavirus months ago and instead took this seriously we might be in a better state of preparation. Thanks.
            Aww, the poor dear tantrum baby leader was mocked, and that's why he failed. Poor wee dear, aww. Cry cry, it's not my fault, wheee wheee. The poor baby buffoon.

He failed, the system he had every ability to fortify for this eventuality, failed. It's not someone else's fault. What is with you 'responsible' types, always trying to have it both ways when the outcome doesn't suit you. There's no whataboutism here, no one gives a Edited by a Moderator about what happened when someone else was in charge, this is happening on your watch.

Little Trump henchman, MM, wasn't taking it seriously a day ago - following the party line, no doubt. Trump, meanwhile, wasn't taking it seriously a week ago, when he claimed, with no evidence (since you weren't testing people), that the number of cases would go down to zero "very soon".
            Last edited by Cerebrum123; 03-13-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• For emergency planning in the UK, we have the Civil Contingencies Secretariat and the CC Committee, popularly known as COBRA. It has had a couple of meetings so far in this epidemic. It means that the responses are well thought out and science based. They cannot do much about panic in other countries, but I think they will set an example of best practice.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                For emergency planning in the UK, we have the Civil Contingencies Secretariat and the CC Committee, popularly known as COBRA. It has had a couple of meetings so far in this epidemic. It means that the responses are well thought out and science based. They cannot do much about panic in other countries, but I think they will set an example of best practice.
                But just what is a best practice in the face of an epidemic, is there one single set of policies which are "right" and others which are "wrong"?

I have been reading the various effective and ineffective responses to epidemics, the one example which sticks in my mind is one in 67 or 68 (a time of great unrest in the city and college campus) and we did nothing, no response and let it run its course with thousands of probably needless fatalities. But could the Johnson administration, along with the health system have instituted any restrictive measures? I don't think they had the political power or an authority which society recognized.

China provided an example of containment, but all descriptions of the Chinese response can be called draconian; public health officials are examining ways to implement effective policies that are doable within the realities of their own country.

In the US, we have looking to gut our Public Health Service (a uniformed federal service like the Army), but it is intertwined throughout our health system (few work exclusively for Public Health Service, they have jobs with hospitals, CDC, FDA etc.). We do not have any one monolithic agency which can respond, we rely on a mix of public and private responses.

Comment

• Joe Biden is out there criticizing the President's response to the China virus and has offered his own action plan for what he would be doing if he was president.

The punchline is that Joe's plan is almost identical to what the Trump administration is already doing.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...dministration/
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Joe Biden is out there criticizing the President's response to the China virus and has offered his own action plan for what he would be doing if he was president.

The punchline is that Joe's plan is almost identical to what the Trump administration is already doing.

I noticed that several of his proposals were for things already being done when I caught some of his speech yesterday.

Comment

Joe Biden is out there criticizing the President's response to the China virus and has offered his own action plan for what he would be doing if he was president.

Didn't O'Biden Bama completely drop the ball with swine flu?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Did he? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...wine-flu-n1h1/

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          I know Joe made some alarming remarks at the time that the White House scrambled to "clarify".

Comment

I noticed that several of his proposals were for things already being done when I caught some of his speech yesterday.
                            "Say, Trump, that's a nice plan you have there. It would be a shame if somebody were to steal it."

Comment

"Say, Trump, that's a nice plan you have there. It would be a shame if somebody were to steal it."
                              CNN is falling all over themselves praising Biden for his speech while still blasting Trump. I guess they figure that the few dozen people still watching the network are too slow witted and uninformed to know that Biden was effectively plagiarizing (something he has a history of doing) from Trump. Then again since they rely on CNN for their news, they are likely right.

Comment

CNN is falling all over themselves praising Biden for his speech while still blasting Trump. I guess they figure that the few dozen people still watching the network are too slow witted and uninformed to know that Biden was effectively plagiarizing (something he has a history of doing) from Trump. Then again since they rely on CNN for their news, they are likely right.
                                Yep, the pundits are calling Biden's speech "Commander in Chief-worthy", which is appropriate since Biden plagiarized it from the Commander in Chief.

Comment