Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You obviously didn't read the sources I've linked to if you think this answers anything I've referenced.
    You provided disjoint references supposedly an argument for or against tracking. You provided a cut and past reference concerning How a case of COVD-19 case is defined, which is not related to the argument for or against tracking.

You drew a conclusion of an inflated infection rate., which is bogus. The infection rate is more complex than your simplistic generalization. This cite: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-cases gives the figures of different measures of cases and fatalities and how they describe the infection rate, which is managed by Oxford University.

As I cited the primary hallmark of the infection rate is the severe cases, hospitalizations and fatalities due to COVID-19. and the purpose of tracking is to prevent further infection related to the the severe cases, hospitalizations and fatalities.

Again the current surge in cases in June and now July is documented by the severe cases, hospitalizations, and fatalities, and not simply counts of positive cases.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Source: https://www.foxnews.com/world/8000-chinese-nationals-came-into-us-after-trump-travel-ban-coronavirus

Up to 8,000 Chinese nationals came into US after Trump banned travel due to coronavirus: AP

More than 600 flights brought in travelers from these areas after Trump announced his travel ban in late January and it was enacted Feb. 2.
      By Caitlin McFall | Fox News

Up to 8,000 Chinese nationals came into US after Trump banned travel due to coronavirus: AP
      More than 600 flights brought in travelers from these areas after Trump announced his travel ban in late January and it was enacted Feb. 2.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• I previous brought up the question of possible regional herd immunity, and genetic resistance and protection against the coronaviruses in the Orient and Africa related to the strain that causes COVID-19. The following article describes an aspect of our Neanderthal genetics that makes Westerners more susceptible to COVID-19.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html

DNA Linked to Covid-19 Was Inherited From Neanderthals, Study Finds
        The stretch of six genes seems to increase the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus.

A researcher excavating a Neanderthal skeleton last year.

By Carl Zimmer
        July 4, 2020

A stretch of DNA linked to Covid-19 was passed down from Neanderthals 60,000 years ago, according to a new study.

Scientists don’t yet know why this particular segment increases the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus. But the new findings, which were posted online on Friday and have not yet been published in a scientific journal, show how some clues to modern health stem from ancient history.

“This interbreeding effect that happened 60,000 years ago is still having an impact today,” said Joshua Akey, a geneticist at Princeton University who was not involved in the new study.

This piece of the genome, which spans six genes on Chromosome 3, has had a puzzling journey through human history, the study found. The variant is now common in Bangladesh, where 63 percent of people carry at least one copy. Across all of South Asia, almost one-third of people have inherited the segment.

Elsewhere, however, the segment is far less common. Only 8 percent of Europeans carry it, and just 4 percent have it in East Asia. It is almost completely absent in Africa.

It’s not clear what evolutionary pattern produced this distribution over the past 60,000 years. “That’s the $10,000 question,” said Hugo Zeberg, a geneticist at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden who was one of the authors of the new study.

One possibility is that the Neanderthal version is harmful and has been getting rarer over all. It’s also possible that the segment improved people’s health in South Asia, perhaps providing a strong immune response to viruses in the region.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-05-2020, 07:26 AM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Source: https://www.foxnews.com/world/8000-chinese-nationals-came-into-us-after-trump-travel-ban-coronavirus

So, the airlines can't follow directions. Let's blame them for letting it in.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            So, the airlines can't follow directions. Let's blame them for letting it in.
            No, Trump just put a large holed sieve over flights from China so that the exceptions still went through. The reality is that Trump did not put an absolute ban on flights from China without exceptions, actually only limited safeguards of those arriving.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-05-2020, 05:04 PM.

Frank

Comment

No, Trump just put a large holed sieve over flights from China so that the exceptions still went through. The reality is that Trump did not put an absolute ban on flights from China without exceptions, actually only limited safeguards of those arriving.
              The exceptions were supposed to be for American citizens of Chinese origin. You just can't tell citizens of this country that they can not come into the country.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The exceptions were supposed to be for American citizens of Chinese origin. You just can't tell citizens of this country that they can not come into the country.
                Well, the Chinese citizens and other citizens of the USA turned into a very big hole in the effort to make an effort to stop the COVID-19 pandemic in the USA.

They were not the only ones that got in, because flights with Chinese and Europeans came in by many different routes.

Frank

Comment

• Los Angelenos thumb their nose at Garcetti, his anti-fourth of July mandate, and covid...

I live here. It sounded like a war zone all night long, from about 6PM to 12AM when I went to bed. These aren't Republicans. These are leftists just tried of the lockdown BS. You're in trouble when you have the left rebelling.
                  Last edited by seanD; 07-05-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Well, the Chinese citizens and other citizens of the USA turned into a very big hole in the effort to make an effort to stop the COVID-19 pandemic in the USA.

They were not the only ones that got in, because flights with Chinese and Europeans came in by many different routes.
                    And I blame the airlines. They were made aware of the rules and didn't enforce them. Contrast that to the Air New Zealand incident from this past week to see how an airline that follows orders behaves.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They could have been quarantined - or better still, tested.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        They could have been quarantined - or better still, tested.
                        Or the airlines could have told them that they were not allowed in.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Research into state health regulations by Fog City Midge shows that new guidance for the definition of COVID-19 positive infections is likely the biggest background cause in a dramatic upswing in positive test results.

[...]

This revelation would explain exactly why those who construct the reporting systems are pushing so hard for contact tracing. According to the new guidance anyone who comes into contact with a person who tests positive is now also considered positive.

Nice convenient way to inflate the infection rate.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...g-definitions/
                          This has to be the most preposterous claim I have seen in a LONG time. I have seen absolutely NO such guidance from ANY quarter, and it makes zero sense. "Confirmed" has always meant "confirmed by test," not by association.

Where do conspiracy nuts come UP with this stuff...?
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You're on a roll with this genetic fallacy thing, aren't you?

How about a response that actually addresses the study instead of dismissing the messenger?
                            I find this response odd, given the number of times I have quoted a source (e.g., politico, snopes, WashPo, etc.) only to have you post an almost identical response: the publication cited followed by one of the various laughing emojis.

I agree that dismissing something because of its source is the very definition of "the genetic fallacy," and you seem to engage in it regularly.

Good for the goose? Good for the gander?
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              This has to be the most preposterous claim I have seen in a LONG time. I have seen absolutely NO such guidance from ANY quarter, and it makes zero sense. "Confirmed" has always meant "confirmed by test," not by association.

Where do conspiracy nuts come UP with this stuff...?
                              Using the term "conspiracy nut" is not a good rebuttal, and usually has the reverse effect of what you intend. When folks dismiss something or someone out of hand as a "conspiracy nut," that gives off the stench that they can't refute the argument so they resort to that tactic because it's so quick and easy. A more convincing argument would be to address the pdf and prove where that interpretation is wrong.

Comment

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/world/8000-chinese-nationals-came-into-us-after-trump-travel-ban-coronavirus

I believe the total number of people who came to the U.S. from China after the so-called "travel ban" was approximately 40,000. The ban had so many loopholes it was largely pointless.

Comment