Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I remember the name, but I don't remember the discussions.

My PhD is in napping and watering my plants.
    Good... spares me the trouble to test you on non-Abelian gauge theory or what are ghost particles in the renormalization group theory...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      what? That is stupid. Canadians are much more spread out than the population in the US. And China is much more packed together than we are. Most of the US's cases are centered in high density cities like New York.

There is no way China was reporting true numbers and then they suddenly stopped.
      Not to mention that Canada had their first confirmed case like 3 weeks after the U.S. Of course the numbers are different.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

flu is at .1% not .01% (.01 is .1%) And corona was at 1% and falling. I think the current estimates are at .6%
        Source for this claim? This is the first I am seeing this number, and it does not align with what appears to be happening in the world.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Currently there are 203,608 cumulative cases in the USA and 4476 deaths. That works out to 0.2% mortality at this point in the USA. (of course that is with the mitigating techniques we are using)

World 911,308 cumulative cases, 45,497 deaths. 0.49% mortality.
          Your math is off.

4,476/203,608 = 0.022 or 2.2%

Your worldwide number is 45,497/911,308 = 0.0499 or 4.99%
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I think it's more that folks are skeptical of the reactions to the virus -- the outright draconian measures and loony federal spending sprees being taken on a government level -- than the seriousness of the virus itself. Why should we listen to Gates? He's just a billionaire tech guy who got rich plagiarizing other people's ideas early on. Don't you guys on the left hate billionaires? What's significant about Gates; is he a scientist?
            First - fiscally I lean conservative; socially I lean liberal. So I'm not "you guys on the left." Second, my reason for giving Gates credence is his extensive experience with the Gates Foundation fighting diseases around the world, and his history of data-driven decision making.

Comment

Your math is off.

4,476/203,608 = 0.022 or 2.2%

Your worldwide number is 45,497/911,308 = 0.0499 or 4.99%
              nobody reads my posts ...

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well Trump was already banning flights for close to a month. And I doubt that Pelosi didn't have access to the same info. I don't think any one really knew to easily it was transmitted then.
                Banning flights is minimal action. Important - but nowhere near sufficient. Frankly, given the record this administration has amassed leveraging this crisis to push forward its agenda, I strongly suspect (but cannot prove) that the closure was more aligned with his anti-immigration stance than his concerns about the virus, given that he kept downplaying the virus for a full six weeks AFTER he banned incoming non-citizens from China.

You guys keep pounding the "but he banned travel" drum as if somehow that was all that was necessary to deal with this crisis. Not even close. Congrats to Trump for taking steps to reduce the flow of people. And shame on him for all of the missteps before and since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Now you have your decimal point off by one. 45,497/911,308 = .04992 = 4.99% (5%)

As I said, the best situations are between 1 and 2%. The worst are above 10% (Italy)
                  Guess I should have read the rest of the thread first...

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                    Good... spares me the trouble to test you on non-Abelian gauge theory or what are ghost particles in the renormalization group theory...
                    I can answer that second one. If you hold a seance with a mixture of conservatives and liberals present, the ghosts burst into particles and renormalize the group to be all progressives!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Not to mention that Canada had their first confirmed case like 3 weeks after the U.S. Of course the numbers are different.
                      To both you and Sparko - the comments about Canadian/U.S. differences are incorrect. The U.S. has 84% of its population in urban areas, and Canada has 80% of its population in urban areas. There population is concentrated primarily in the southern portion of their country (for obvious reasons), but we have similar distributions. Their population density for their major cities is roughly aligned with the population density of U.S. cities of the same size. Toronto, for example, has close to the same population density as Chicago.

Also, the first confirmed coronavirus case in Canada dates to 1/27, making it exactly one week behind the U.S. A week ago, the U.S. had 66,132 cases, or 201 cases per million citizens. Today Canada has 9,539 cases, or 253.76 cases per million. Their curve is essentially on the same trajectory as ours, and their leadership is making many of the same mistakes as ours, AFAICT.
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-01-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        nobody reads my posts ...

Safety in numbers...?

Comment

First - fiscally I lean conservative; socially I lean liberal. So I'm not "you guys on the left." Second, my reason for giving Gates credence is his extensive experience with the Gates Foundation fighting diseases around the world, and his history of data-driven decision making.
                          Data-driven decision making. He cites authoritative sources about the subject we're all already privy to because we've all seen and read the same sources. In fact, he points out things government is doing that he approves of, like he's some kind of authority on the subject. He's just a secondhand source, a billionaire tech guy. In fact, considering his arguably unscrupulous ways of initially becoming a billionaire, and considering the history of his "foundation" and his vaccine fetish, gives every indication he's just an opportunist looking to profit from this the same way he did with his first business, and he's clearly positioning himself this way acting like he's someone who's relevant. I just don't understand why he's significant, especially here in this discussion.

Comment

Data-driven decision making. He cites authoritative sources about the subject we're all already privy to because we've all seen and read the same sources. In fact, he points out things government is doing that he approves of, like he's some kind of authority on the subject.
                            While he is not a medical doctor - he is indeed an authority on disease and disease management - and he is adding his voice in support of what is needed. Some of what is needed is being done and he praising it. Some is not and he is calling for it.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            He's just a secondhand source, a billionaire tech guy. In fact, considering his arguably unscrupulous ways of initially becoming a billionaire, and considering the history of his "foundation" and his vaccine fetish, gives every indication he's just an opportunist looking to profit from this the same way he did with his first business, and he's clearly positioning himself this way acting like he's someone who's relevant. I just don't understand why he's significant, especially here in this discussion.
                            I believe this is known as the genetic fallacy. If you have an issue with his points - tackle the points. If you just don't like Gates or don't want to listen to him, then I suggest you move on. You are not making any counter points or adding anything to the conversation except we all now you don't think people should pay attention to Gates. Your dislike is duly noted. I find his points and his rationale compelling. I'd find them compelling if they were coming from Mickey Mouse. I'm more interested in the message and the defense of that message than the man.

Comment

While he is not a medical doctor - he is indeed an authority on disease and disease management - and he is adding his voice in support of what is needed. Some of what is needed is being done and he praising it. Some is not and he is calling for it.

I believe this is known as the genetic fallacy. If you have an issue with his points - tackle the points. If you just don't like Gates or don't want to listen to him, then I suggest you move on. You are not making any counter points or adding anything to the conversation except we all now you don't think people should pay attention to Gates. Your dislike is duly noted. I find his points and his rationale compelling. I'd find them compelling if they were coming from Mickey Mouse. I'm more interested in the message and the defense of that message than the man.
                              He cites sources we here, engaging in this discussion, already know about and have read is what I said. As far as him being any type of authority, he's a secondhand source is what I said. How do you get "you don't think people should pay attention to Gates" from any of my posts? Strawman much? That was weak. You seem more intelligent than that kind cheap BS discussion tactic.

Comment

Strawman much? That was weak. You seem more intelligent than that kind cheap BS discussion tactic.
                                That's par for the course for him.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment