Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Trump is not bad because he’s orange, rather, he is orange because he’s bad.

BAD MAN ORANGE .... the face makeup is a disguise.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-27-2020, 05:01 PM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      well, now I am questioning if their methods are working...

---
      Report: China Stopped Testing for COVID-19. That's Why There Are Zero New Cases.

A report out of Japan by Apple Daily HK says that rosy view from China is a lie.

"Report by @appledaily_hk , Japanese news outlet interviewed Wuhan doctors, and confirmed Wuhan has stopped testing, that is why new case = 0 there. They release people in quarantine early too."
      https://pjmedia.com/trending/report-...new-cases/amp/

And all those test kits they sent to Spain? Only 30% accurate. Spain is dumping them.

Spanish capital ditches ‘unreliable’ Chinese coronavirus test kits

Madrid stops using the kits and health ministry asks for them to be replaced after tests suggest they only have a 30 per cent accuracy level
      Spanish government is reported to have ordered 340,000 of the kits, which the Shenzhen-based manufacturer said had an 80 per cent strike rate
      https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...irus-test-kits
      Those tests that the Spanish stopped using sound like the same test kits that CDC refused (and the MSM went nuts accusing Trump of doing it because, well ... Orange Man Bad) which had a 30% false negative rate. This meant nearly a third of those tested who were infected would be told that they weren't infected which would cause them to go out infecting more people because they thought that they were clean/safe. This of course made them far worse than just useless.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Those tests that the Spanish stopped using sound like the same test kits that CDC refused (and the MSM went nuts accusing Trump of doing it because, well ... Orange Man Bad) which had a 30% false negative rate. This meant nearly a third of those tested who were infected would be told that they weren't infected which would cause them to go out infecting more people because they thought that they were clean/safe. This of course made them far worse than just useless.
        No. The tests the CDC refused were not "kits." I have found nothing to suggest the Chinese government offered the CDC test kits. What the CDC refused was the German protocols that were ready two days before our first documented case and could be used to develop test kits. They were published on the WHO website. Those are the same protocols the Germans have been using effectively since, as have many other countries. I am pretty sure South Korea is using the same protocols. I have heard of no significant problem with false negative, positives, or indeterminate results.The CDC elected to develop its own protocols. After all, nothing from outside this country could ever be as good - right? The decision cost us two weeks - plus the time to recover from the initially flawed kits that were shipped. We lost additional time while the CDC insisted on processing all kits. It wasn't until March 16th that testing was permitted at state-level labs.

The "CDC rejected kits due to false negatives" narrative has yet to be supported by a single source, AFAIK. Yet it continues to be offered up, and the percentage continues to change. Last time it was 50%.

ETA: And the shortages continue - and Trump will STILL not put the Defense Production Act into play.
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-27-2020, 06:02 PM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• That is, he sprays ‘The Donald’ on his face, and glues it to his bald head every morning. He plays the part like an actor, never stopping to reveal his true self. There might not be a real person underneath.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Another lie as is the post before it. I'm done here, Pix. Lie away if you wish. I'm finished attempting to correct your lies and miss-characterizations. I trust the readers (except your circle of cronies, of course) to read my posts and appreciate what I actually think and say.

Last word to you.
            I do owe Carp a sorry because the second interpretation is he was just virtue signaling about how wonderful and awesome he is without having to make an actual sacrifice. My mistake.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I doubt that very few of those on the left are actually happy to see bad economic new (obvious exceptions include Bill Maher and a few others who have publicly wished for a recession if it would hurt Trump), but rather see it as a "silver lining" of sorts.
              Yes, I would be surprised if the "silver lining" would make him even just a little happy.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                know, it's math...
                That is based on many significant assumptions. Meanwhile, experts like Dr. Birx, adviser to the President, says we're likely not heading towards a worst case scenario,

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-predictions/

I'm sorry for an optimistic outlook. I know that doesn't sit well with liberals hoping for a disaster that they can lay at the President's feet.

Comment

No. The tests the CDC refused were not "kits." I have found nothing to suggest the Chinese government offered the CDC test kits. What the CDC refused was the German protocols that were ready two days before our first documented case and could be used to develop test kits. They were published on the WHO website. Those are the same protocols the Germans have been using effectively since, as have many other countries. I am pretty sure South Korea is using the same protocols. I have heard of no significant problem with false negative, positives, or indeterminate results.The CDC elected to develop its own protocols. After all, nothing from outside this country could ever be as good - right? The decision cost us two weeks - plus the time to recover from the initially flawed kits that were shipped. We lost additional time while the CDC insisted on processing all kits. It wasn't until March 16th that testing was permitted at state-level labs.

The "CDC rejected kits due to false negatives" narrative has yet to be supported by a single source, AFAIK. Yet it continues to be offered up, and the percentage continues to change. Last time it was 50%.
                  So I guess that's why Biden declared during his one-on-one debate with Sanders that "Look, the World Health Organization offered the testing kits that they have available and to give it to us now. We refused them. We did not want to buy them. We did not want to get them from them."

Of course poor old Joe doesn't always know what day it is or the year, where he is or even his name and what he's running for, so he's hardly a trustworthy source in spite of CNN fact-checker Holmes Lybrand declaring that "Biden is correct. The U.S., along with other countries, chose not to take test kits from WHO — and instead decided to make their own."

So then maybe we should look at the BBC which reported that "The US declined to use a test approved by the World Health Organization in January."

Likewise Business Insider said "The new details are an embarrassment for the CDC, which had refused to use the World Health Organization's test kits and opted to develop its own, according to a ProPublica investigation."

The reason given has been the high false negative rate. Both MM and I have posted links to various sources to this effect with mine consistently stating it was 30% and his also saying 30 but maybe as high as 50%.

We wanted to develop our own tests, which, as the Washington Post explained is something that is standard procedure and is controlled by the CDC. It's what we did during previous outbreaks including with Ebola, MERS and Zika. The problem was that the ones we developed had flaws in the manufacturing of reagents for test kits and therefore were also faulty.

Still, political opponents and several MSM venues put the blame squarely on Trump and it became a part of the Orange Man Bad drumbeat. Here is a typical example:

Btw, the tests weren't from China but were German versions of them.

ETA: Apparently "refused" might be too strong a word in that it looks like WHO never officially offered them so it's hard to "refuse" something under those conditions.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 03-27-2020, 07:00 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    The death rate in Germany, BTW, continues to climb. It is now up to .67% from yesterday. Up from .62% this morning. They have done aggressive early testing and found many cases that would otherwise have been undetected. That skewed their early numbers low. But they are now on a steep rise, but have some fairly aggressive social distancing requirements. That is in itself scary.
                    Why this continual prompting from you and your ilk to live in fear? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Comment

So I guess that's why Biden declared during his one-on-one debate with Sanders that "Look, the World Health Organization offered the testing kits that they have available and to give it to us now. We refused them. We did not want to buy them. We did not want to get them from them."

Of course poor old Joe doesn't always know what day it is or the year, where he is or even his name and what he's running for, so he's hardly a trustworthy source in spite of CNN fact-checker Holmes Lybrand declaring that "Biden is correct. The U.S., along with other countries, chose not to take test kits from WHO — and instead decided to make their own."

So then maybe we should look at the BBC which reported that "The US declined to use a test approved by the World Health Organization in January."

Likewise Business Insider said "The new details are an embarrassment for the CDC, which had refused to use the World Health Organization's test kits and opted to develop its own, according to a ProPublica investigation."

The reason given has been the high false negative rate. Both MM and I have posted links to various sources to this effect with mine consistently stating it was 30% and his also saying 30 but maybe as high as 50%.

We wanted to develop our own tests, which, as the Washington Post explained is something that is standard procedure and is controlled by the CDC. It's what we did during previous outbreaks including with Ebola, MERSand Zika. The problem was that the ones we developed had flaws in the manufacturing of reagents for test kits and therefore were also faulty.

Still, political opponents and several MSM venues put the blame squarely on Trump and it became a part of the Orange Man Bad drumbeat. Here is a typical example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43638[/ATTACH]

Btw, the tests weren't from China but were German versions of them.

ETA: Apparently "refused" might be too strong a word in that it looks like WHO never officially offered them so it's hard to "refuse" something under those conditions.
                      None of those things are wrong, except for their use of the word "kits." The WHO and the CDC never discussed the WHO supplying kits to the U.S. To my knowledge, the WHO has never sent such kits to the U.S. or many other developed countries that have the resources to produce their own kits. Biden was wrong. What the CDC rejected were the protocols - and those were what was from Germany - and neither those protocols nor the WHO kits have been shown to have 30% or 50% false negatives, AFAIK, despite all of the repeated conspiracy-mongering claims.

Of course, the "Orange Man Bad" drumbeat is not just coming from a few news outlets and some on the left. It is also a drum beaten by many on the right, like yourself, Pix, and MM, who like to use it to dismiss any information that might paint Mr. Trump in a bad light. I guess it's easier to dismiss it to "TDS" and "OMB" than actually look at the facts. One of the few things Pix has said that is true: details matter. More importantly, facts matter. Rogue - you are of the same ilk as Mr. Trump: prone to grasping whatever conspiracy suits your narrative, and not above ignoring the actual facts on the ground.
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-27-2020, 07:08 PM.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

None of those things are wrong, except for their use of the word "kits."
                        Followed immediately by
                        Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        The WHO and the CDC never discussed the WHO supplying kits to the U.S. To my knowledge, the WHO has never sent such kits to the U.S. or many other developed countries that have the resources to produce their own kits. Biden was wrong.

Comment

Followed immediately by

Correct - the U.S. refused the protocols - not the kits. So claims that the U.S. refused kits from the WHO are false, as are claims that either the protocols or kits had 30 to 50% false negatives, whether it is Biden or you making them. The articles and comments you continually cite about the false negatives source from a comment Birx made, which she later clarified were about the Chinese kits, not the German protocols or WHO kits.

But if history is any indication, that won't stop you from injecting the claim in post after post. After all, you wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a desired narrative - right?
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-27-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Correct - the U.S. refused the protocols - not the kits. So claims that the U.S. refused kits from the WHO are false, as are claims that either the protocols or kits had 30 to 50% false negatives, whether it is Biden or you making them. The articles and comments you continually cite about the false negatives source from a comment Birx made, which she later clarified were about the Chinese kits, not the German protocols or WHO kits.

But if history is any indication, that won't stop you from injecting the claim in post after post. After all, you wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a desired narrative - right?
                            Speaking of desired narrative, your claim that

means that you agree with Hartmann when he says that "Trump refused the WHO tests" in spite of near universal agreement that Trump had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Looks like you're the one who "wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a desired narrative - right?" But that is par for the course with you. Trying to blame others for doing what it is you who are doing.
                            Last edited by rogue06; 03-27-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Speaking of desired narrative, your claim that

means that you agree with Hartmann when he says that "Trump refused the WHO tests" in spite of near universal agreement that Trump had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Looks like you're the one who "wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a desired narrative - right?" But that is par for the course with you. Trying to blame others for doing what it is you who are doing.
                              No...I meant that the use of "kits" was wrong in the claims that the CDC rejects the CDC kits. The CDC never rejected kits from anyone - nor sought them out. They never received or used kits from anyone, AFAIK. That decision was made by the CDC, which is a child agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services which is part of the Trump cabinet operating under the executive branch. Trump did not say "reject those protocols" to the CDC, AFAIK - but it is the Trump administration that made that call. Trump may reject "the buck stops here" as a working model, but I do not. The captain of the ship is responsible for the actions of his crew - directly if he took a direct hand, and indirectly if he did not. A coordinating task force operating from the White House would/should have known these protocols were being rejected and looked into it. They also should have brought that to the attention of the president. But that task force was disbanded and its functions rolled up into a group of "worker bees" who had no presidential access. That was done by Bolton - who also reported to Trump.

A dysfunctional team under a dysfunctional leader will do dysfunctional things. And the citizens of this country are paying the price. But feel free to wave that away with another "TDS" or "OMB" assertion. It is, after all, your narrative. That along with "MSM bad!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Why this continual prompting from you and your ilk to live in fear? What are you hoping to accomplish?
                                It’s what happens when you immerse yourself in 24/7 bad news. It causes you to think we’re all doomed.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment