Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I'm not "the left" nor do I speak for them. If you want to respond to them...you should do so when "the left" posts. If you want to respond to me - you should address what I actually say instead of building a strawman out of what "the left" apparently said and then responding to that.

By the way - nice job painting with such a ginormous brush, not to mention cutting out the part of my post you couldn't respond to - not that you did very well with this part either...
    You said to MM:

Not to mention that we now have a leader, in the middle of a crisis, who is bragging about the ratings of his coronavirus briefings...

I'm trying to imagine ANY other president acting that way. It boggles the mind. But from the denizens here it will earn another "well done," I'm sure...
    So that bothers you but not when Obama was having a good time on the golf course the summer when Americans were dying of swine flu. You have a twisted moral sense.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      You said to MM:
      I did indeed - I cannot imagine any American president bragging about the ratings for his briefings about an American crisis.

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So that bothers you but not when Obama was having a good time on the golf course the summer when Americans were dying of swine flu. You have a twisted moral sense.
      Back to "but what about Obama." Like I said, I have no problem with anyone managing a crisis taking a break over the course of a year. I didn't with Obama - I won't with Trump. I don't expect leaders to be "super human." I'm not so small that I'm going to let shallow tripe like that become an issue.

But I'll be very curious to see what your response is when Trump takes his inevitable golf trip before this virus is over. Will you decry it as vocally as you do Obama, or will you find a reason to excuse it? THAT will be interesting to see.*

Meanwhile, the man who would "not be golfing and would be working his backside off" has played 2.5 times as much golf as the predecessor he complained so much about concerning that very activity, and so far has spent the equivalent of 334 years of presidential salary doing so. And then they wonder why I am not particularly impressed that he is "donating his salary."

And all of that is tangential and irrelevant to his mismanagement of this crisis. It's a diversion, so we're no longer talking about Trump and his errors.

*ETA: Hey - we don't have to wait! Look what Trump was doing 21 days ago! On March 8th Trump was still saying "we have it under control" despite:
      • 109,800 infections worldwide
      • 518 infections in the U.S.
      • An average U.S. infection growth rate of 32.5% for the past week
      • Warnings from the WHO had been issued five weeks earlier
      • The task force was established on January 31 - but pence was named head on March 11 - 3 days after the golf game.

So...let's see...are you outraged at Trump, golfing when he could have been working on plans to minimize avert the coming crisis? I'm guessing not. You'll have a reason for excusing it.
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        According to polls conducted by ABC, CBS, Fox News, Gallup and Monmouth the majority of Americans disagree with your snark.
        Hey that was a genuine question since firstfloor was stating that Xi did a better job than Trump. I was just wondering if he thought there was anyone doing a poorer job.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          So Trump has been golfing during this present crisis like Obama was during the Swine flu? Where 61 million Americans were infected and 13 thousand died?
          Playing golf is not a factor in dealing with the pandemics. Obama was dealing with a failed vaccination, and followed his science advisors. Trump did not and ridiculed the seriousness of the virus pandemic. He fiddled and ridiculed while the virus spread across America.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• I suspect I already know the answer....but I'm really curious about the reaction to this report. Apparently, a Florida pastor was arrested for hosting a gathering of more people than is allowed under the coronavirus restrictions in place in Florida.

Thoughts?
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              That guy did a much better job of containment than your guy. And because China was the first to see the virus, they were the least prepared of anyone to deal with it.
              "That guy" runs a dictatorship, so it's kind of easy to contain a pandemic that way. He can clamp down against the rights of his citizens and force quarantine a whole population of millions against their will, and execute dissents who don't comply. We don't do that in America (or we're not supposed to at least). You seem awfully apologetic of the China regime and their tyrannical tactics. Are you suggesting America adopt that strategy?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                I notice you cut out that part you couldn't respond to...
                You mean the irrelevant part where you wanted to talk about Trump's and Obama's overall golf habits instead of addressing the fact that Obama was out on the links while the bodies of swine flu victims were filling the morgues? Yeah, I cut that out.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Playing golf is not a factor in dealing with the pandemics. Obama was dealing with a failed vaccination, and followed his science advisors. Trump did not and ridiculed the seriousness of the virus pandemic. He fiddled and ridiculed while the virus spread across America.
                  Right... so Obama out golfing while the bodies piled up. No problem!

But Trump mentions that ratings are up on the China flu briefings, meaning that a lot of Americans are getting their information directly from the task force itself instead of the through the media's distortion filter, and that's supposed to be a bad thing.

Okay then...
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-30-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                    And how about you saying: "Sorry that I mixed up your scenario with those Dr. Birx mentioned in her press conference."
                    Is that what you think I was doing? No wonder you flew off the handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      "That guy" runs a dictatorship, so it's kind of easy to contain a pandemic that way. He can clamp down against the rights of his citizens and force quarantine a whole population of millions against their will, and execute dissents who don't comply. We don't do that in America (or we're not supposed to at least). You seem awfully apologetic of the China regime and their tyrannical tactics. Are you suggesting America adopt that strategy?
                      Like putting bars across doors and windows to imprison people in their own homes...

https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...t-coronavirus/

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        It would not be the Chinese strategy that is advisable, because actually they did a terrible job initially failing to heed the professional advice, and have undercounted the cases and deaths from the virus.

It is South Korea and Japan are the examples of a proactive aggressive approach from the beginning that the USA failed to do.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          You mean the irrelevant part where you wanted to talk about Trump's and Obama's overall golf habits instead of addressing the fact that Obama was out on the links while the bodies of swine flu victims were filling the morgues? Yeah, I cut that out.
                          You mean Carp is going off on tangents while accuse me of doing it? So he’s being a total hypocrite again? We’re what? A few days away from another meltdown where he melts down, runs away, only to come back and start the process all over again?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            It would not be the Chinese strategy that is advisable, because actually they did a terrible job initially failing to heed the professional advice, and have undercounted the cases and deaths from the virus.

It is South Korea and Japan are the examples of a proactive aggressive approach from the beginning that the USA failed to do.
                            How big is SK and Japan?
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              How big is SK and Japan?
                              Doesn't matter, Lilpix. SK began testing a week after their first confirmed case and has tested 5 times as many people per capita as the US who didn't even begin testing until 6 weeks later.

Comment

• This reads like a story from the Babylon Bee, but this is real, not satire:

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner (D) on Sunday urged would-be criminals to remain in their homes and “chill” until the Chinese coronavirus epidemic subsides in the Texas city.

“The best way to help police officers is to not commit a crime,” Turner told reporters during a press conference on his city’s latest efforts to combat the deadly illness. “Until the coronavirus is resolved, criminals, take a break.”

“Stay home and don’t commit any crimes. That way, they will stay safe and out of jail and police officers will stay safe and go home to there families,” the mayor added. “Crooks, criminals, you chill.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...pandemic-over/

Comment