Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Right. It's all about "Us vs. Them".
    If you say so...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I don't think it's fair to interpret that as giddy excitement. The exclamation points are, I think, just an expression of amazement (e.g., wow, the number of infected went up fast!, or some such).
      Somehow, I doubt that is going to make much difference - but kudos to you for the attempt.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

“Who will you believe, me or your lying eyes!”

Good gaslighting, come back when you decide to act like a Christian and stop with your false witness.
        This is not a false witness pix. This is just you not understanding what I was saying. Now what does it mean that a person will not doubt their understanding of another persons words?

But just to be clear, I'll go through it with you word for word.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd
        You and pix and others have demonstrated ignorance with regards to this pandemic that is difficult to reconcile with your demonstrated intelligence. And that is a difficult thing to observe without wanting to find some way to correct the problem.
        In case you did not notice, The subject here is pix AND others. Not just you, but you and others. So that plural group of more than one person has demonstrated ignorance. This means that posts by you had ignorance in them. And posts by others had ignorance in them. And in case you didn't catch it, you + others is at least 3 people.

You will also notice, I did not specify here exactly which elements of ignorance were discussed by which person. Just that there were multiple elements of ignorance displayed and multiple people displaying them.

now, to the second element you quoted:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        No pixie, your brand of ignorance caused this. The numbers have been out there for anyone to look at. The blame goes to ignorance, exactly the sort of ignorance that has been on public display on this site for years now by you and so many others. I told all of you where this was going 2 months ago. And I wasn't looking at the news. I was looking at the numbers. epidemiology is a science. And exponential curves are mathematics. The basic bits of information needed to figure this out are known by everyone with a high school biology class and High School algebra. That mean most if not all the idiots that have been playing this down for the last 2 or 3 months.

The problem is people believing the lie that the MSM is fake news. And the paranoid paralysis that has gripped the conservative members of our society towards science, even in its most basic form.

Maybe it's time to stop being ignorant boobs and following idiological morons?
        So - again this is NOT talking about specific elements of ignorance and assigning them to you. This is simply a general discussion of the fact that you, and others, have been making posts that are contrary to the facts as evidenced by the numbers. And that I have been correcting that same general ignorance for over 2 months now by appealing to those same numbers. And I am also pointing out that you AND THE OTHERS have had access to sufficient education to make sense of those numbers.

But again, I've not said anything untrue about you. You are indeed part of that same ignorance group. And you specifically have been trying to downplay the significance of this virus per the same lame arguments as others are using. Arguments that crash and burn if you simply look at the numbers and apply a very basic knowledge of biology (epidemiology) and mathematics.

There is nothing false. Nothing wrong. I'm not painting you as any different than you have been.

Now, when I gave my list of ignorant statements, I was also quite clear pix this was NOT just you:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        retending not to know what I (and others) have corrected consistently on these pages over the last two months. Seriously?

Over the last two months there has been post after post claiming, among other things:
        The context is, as I have pointed out pix - you AND OTHERS. This list is simply a list of some of the ignorant things you AND OTHERS have posted.

Do I see where you got confused?

Yes - actually I do. You were taking my comments about you AND OTHERS as if they only applied to you. And in your example response you worded my response as if I should list only what you did.

But I was never talking about what you alone said pix. I was always talking about a general tone of ignorance of which you were a part. And when I made that list, it was a short list of the things that had been posted by you AND OTHERS that was clearly ignorant.

And in the list itself is THIS:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd
        The mortality rate is really very low, maybe even lower than the flu (one person claimed 1/10th that of the flu)
        Now why would I say 'one person claimed ...' if I was talking only about YOU? If that list was supposed to be what you and you alone said?

And indeed, that person was NOT you.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-26-2020, 02:56 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          This is not a false witness pix. This is just you not understanding what I was saying. Now what does it mean that a person will not doubt their understanding of another persons words?

But just to be clear, I'll go through it with you word for word.

In case you did not notice, The subject here is pix AND others. Not just you, but you and others. So that plural group of more than one person has demonstrated ignorance. This means that posts by you had ignorance in them. And posts by others had ignorance in them. And in case you didn't catch it, you + others is at least 3 people.

You will also notice, I did not specify here exactly which elements of ignorance were discussed by which person. Just that there were multiple elements of ignorance displayed and multiple people displaying them.

now, to the second element you quoted:

So - again this is NOT talking about specific elements of ignorance and assigning them to you. This is simply a general discussion of the fact that you, and others, have been making posts that are contrary to the facts as evidenced by the numbers. And that I have been correcting that same general ignorance for over 2 months now by appealing to those same numbers. And I am also pointing out that you AND THE OTHERS have had access to sufficient education to make sense of those numbers.

But again, I've not said anything untrue about you. You are indeed part of that same ignorance group. And you specifically have been trying to downplay the significance of this virus per the same lame arguments as others are using. Arguments that crash and burn if you simply look at the numbers and apply a very basic knowledge of biology (epidemiology) and mathematics.

There is nothing false. Nothing wrong. I'm not painting you as any different than you have been.

Now, when I gave my list of ignorant statements, I was also quote clear pix this was NOT just you:

The context is, as I have pointed out pix - you AND OTHERS. This list is simply a list of some of the ignorant things you AND OTHERS have posted.

Do I see where you got confused?

Yes - actually I do. You were taking my comments about you AND OTHERS as if they only applied to you. And in your example response you worded my response as if I should list only what you did.

But I was never talking about what you alone said pix. I was always talking about a general tone of ignorance of which you were a part. And when I made that list, it was a short list of the things that had been posted by you AND OTHERS that was clearly ignorant.

And in ths list itself is THIS:

Now why would I say 'one person claimed ...' if I was talking only about YOU? If that list was supposed to be what you and you alone said?

And indeed, that person was NOT you.
          Poor sad pathetic man, I asked you to specifically tell me what ignorance I have spread, not what others have spread. Rather admit none, you threw up a list and falsely grouped me into ‘others’ so you can justify your false accusations against me. You directly accused me of spreading false information and produced no evidence that I have. What does the Bible say about giving false testimony, Jim? You grouped me into ‘other’, what have I said that is false? Be specific.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I don't think it's fair to interpret that as giddy excitement. The exclamation points are, I think, just an expression of amazement (e.g., wow, the number of infected went up fast!, or some such).
            I'm interpreting the totality of his statements not just about this situation but his overall opinion of Trump and the constant negativity with which he talks about our President. While he has made some positive statements about Trump recently, they're of the "He did something right for once" backhanded compliment variety.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              If you say so...
              No, you say so.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm interpreting the totality of his statements not just about this situation but his overall opinion of Trump and the constant negativity with which he talks about our President. While he has made some positive statements about Trump recently, they're of the "He did something right for once" backhanded compliment variety.
                I don't dispute that, but taking the last statement of his as a sign of gladness that people are getting infected is a good deal farther of a jump.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Since we've got about four and a half times their population and they've likely peaked already this is hardly a surprise.
                  The society in europe is a lot more social than in the USA too. People live closer together, travel a lot by walking and bike, like to gather together. Usually do shopping every day instead of once a week like we do, for groceries. All which contribute to a higher infection rate than in the USA where we all pretty much isolate ourselves anyway, and drive everywhere, and live mostly spread out. Just look at the difference between New York city and the rest of the USA.

Comment

Your giddy excitement is palpable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43577[/ATTACH]
                    It’s not excitement, it is dumbfounded, gob-smacking, amazement that, at least in the White House, the penny hasn’t dropped yet.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Poor sad pathetic man, I asked you to specifically tell me what ignorance I have spread, not what others have spread. Rather admit none, you threw up a list and falsely grouped me into ‘others’ so you can justify your false accusations against me. You directly accused me of spreading false information and produced no evidence that I have. What does the Bible say about giving false testimony, Jim? You grouped me into ‘other’, what have I said that is false? Be specific.
                      Again, there is little I can do if you fail to follow my end of the conversation. I posted everything in good faith and being as complete and honest as possible. You are just out looking for a fight and there is literally nothing I can do that will keep you from finding one.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Your giddy excitement is palpable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43577[/ATTACH]
                        Amazement is not giddy excitement. I am in fact quite concerned about what is happening, the fact that the progression of this disease is routinely turning out to be worse than expected. And the fact that so many, including yourself, keep trying to play it down as some sort of media hype.

This is not about party, or ideology. You need to get out of your head that I am dealing with this in some petty, partisan way, e.g. that I would be glad to see Trump or the GOP fail in their handling of this. If they fail, we all fail, and millions die. And criticisms I offer of Trump or the GOP (or the Democrats) on this are based on the fact WE NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL CONTAINING THIS VIRUS.

This is not some school yard game. Stop acting like it is.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Again, there is little I can do if you fail to follow my end of the conversation. I posted everything in good faith and being as complete and honest as possible. You are just out looking for a fight and there is literally nothing I can do that will keep you from finding one.
                          I saw you and others bowing before a statue of Satan.

Remember, I didn’t just accuse you, I just said you and others did it, so it’s just fine to accuse you of anything I want and even name you by name, just be sure to tack on ‘and others’ and it becomes okay. Thanks Jim, you’re the best!
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-26-2020, 03:39 PM.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, you say so.
                            MM, your level of juvenile exchange never ceases to amaze me. I'll leave the last word to you. The exchange has long since become pointless.

Comment

And this is a surprise?

Comment

• Granted, we don’t know the situation in Russia, but in a very few hours, the US will be in first place. Someone needs to remind Trump what he said when you had 15 cases, hand him a pistol, and walk silently out of the room.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment