Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    If "right after" = about a week. The WHO declared the pandemic on 3/11. Trump first acknowledged it on 3/17. In a pandemic showing exponential growth, a week is a lifetime. And in that week Trump was still spouting "we have it all under control" and "I take no responsibility" (a.k.a. - "the buck stops there -->").

Sorry, Sparko. Long before the WHO declared the pandemic, there were countries around the world that were taking strong action to test, isolate, and even shut down borders. Our leader had a task force, did nothing to get production moving on critical supplies, spread misinformation (and he's STILL doing it), and did nothing to nationally coordinate logistics.

As an example of "still doing it," Trump has been touting the testing at every news conference, and even claimed last night that we have done the most tests overall (true) as well as per capita (false). As of this morning, we are 43rd per capita. I'm sure that there will be a host of reasons why that is acceptable...
    If he said it a hour after the WHO did, you would be complaining about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Most of the stuff on your list would be unconstitutional.
      Ummm... no. The Constitution and acts of Congress signed into law grant the executive broad powers in the event of a national emergency. Most of the things on the list are currently being done - in a somewhat haphazard fashion with little logistical coordination.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      As far as tracking, that is up to the CDC not Trump and they were doing it at first then they stopped and put their resources into fighting the disease instead of tracking it. They got the testing and equipment going as fast as they could (you seem to forget this is only a month into when it all started in this country) -- and SK is about the size of one of our states and there is no way to do what they did on the scale of a nation the size of the USA. Johns Hopkins published a tracking map based on the CDC's reporting of cases so that has been done too.
      Sparko - the CDC reports to HHS which is led by a cabinet position which falls under the executive branch of our government. In other words - they report (indirectly) to Trump!

Everything on your list that could be done has been done.
      yes...late and in a haphazard fashion.

I am sick and tired of you pissant armchair quarterbacks using this crisis to just attack Trump some more, when the attacks against Trump was one of the factors in this entire country being distracted by the Impeachment fiasco in the first place. We need to stop pointing fingers and work together, and that includes the government itself.
      What you are or are not sick of is largely irrelevant. We have an executive that is endangering the lives of Americans because he cannot get past himself, needs to lie consistently (mostly to make himself look good) and lives in a fantasy world that takes days or weeks to jog him out of before he will make the right choice. In a pandemic - that time means more deaths. His every misstep needs to be broadcast far and wide to ensure he is taken OUT of that position in November and we gain some hope that a more competent occupant will take the reins in January, though that may be WAY too late for this pandemic.

Meanwhile, I just learned that there are regular "governors only" calls among the governors during which they try to implement some of the state-to-state coordination that should be the task of the fed and the executive office. After all - that's why we HAVE a fed. My hope is turning more and more to that group.

And trust me, Sparko - I think I'm on safe ground predicting you will then be the ones attacking the new president for his missteps, since that is exactly what was done to Obama during the financial crisis and simultaneous pandemic in 2008-2009, both of which Obama inherited immediately upon taking office. Trump has had 3+ years to "fix the mess" he claims he inherited. But I understand the delay. It's probably hard to get very far when you've spent 334 years worth of presidential salary playing 2.5 times as much golf as your predecessor.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Prediction: responses will include something akin to "but that predicts the FLU - not a coronavirus!" and "It's The Nation - are you really going to believe that leftist rag?"

AND the draft is 103 pages, who is going to read that?!??!

Comment

If he said it a hour after the WHO did, you would be complaining about that.
          Umm... that's it? You're response is speculation about what I might have said in an alternate scenario put forward as if it were truth?

Weak, Sparko. Very weak. And another example of "attack the messenger because we cannot defeat the message."
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
            The real unsettling number on that site is the death % in the closed cases. It’s currently on 21% and has been steadily creeping up from 11% when I first started checking the site a few weeks ago.
            That is because we are in an exponential growth phase coupled with the fact it takes more time to recover than to die. We saw the same thing when china was in exponential growth. The as they turned the spread, the numbers converged around 4%.

You see the opposite in the naive number when there is aggressive proactive testing. The naive mortality is then artificially low for a while and then moves up to the real value. We see this in S Korea and Germany.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yeah you are more interested in whining and pointing fingers and using the crisis as an excuse to complain about Trump some more. On any team there are those who suggest solutions and those who just tear down every idea and action. You are the latter. You have no solutions, just complaints.
              Oh there are a lot of suggestions being made, Sparko, both here and by the medical experts and by the governors. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the Trump Ego before any of it will be processed and acted on. So there's a lot of fawning, and the required obeisance, and things couched carefully so the boss doesn't blow up - and the result is a piecemeal approach with little central coordination.

The fawning of you and others like you over this man is what I am sick of - but fair is fair - what I am sick of is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

Meanwhile - I'd be happy to give you a list of the "solutions" I am actually helping with here in my community!
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-04-2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                AND the draft is 103 pages, who is going to read that?!??!
                Mr. Trump, of course!

He loves to read!

Comment

• In another news:

Investigators arrested a California train engineer Tuesday after he allegedly derailed a train in a bid to crash into the USNS Mercy, the hospital ship treating non-COVID-19 patients at the Port of Los Angeles to lessen the burden on area hospitals, prosecutors said.

A California Highway Patrol officer caught Moreno as he allegedly tried to escape from the scene, according to the complaint. Moreno allegedly told officers and FBI investigators that he deliberately derailed the train because he was suspicious of the Mercy's intentions and thought it was actually part of a government takeover, the complaint said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/engineer-a...ry?id=69926172

Comment

I saw that. I haven't been able to get any clear idea of what the conspiracy was that he thought was at play, and whether he was doing it from a left-leaning or right-leaning fanatical position. Whichever way it is, I think it's safe to predict the other side will jump ALL over it.

Comment

Umm... that's it? You're response is speculation about what I might have said in an alternate scenario put forward as if it were truth?

Weak, Sparko. Very weak. And another example of "attack the messenger because we cannot defeat the message."
                      oh the irony in that last statement. That's all you have been doing with Trump.

Go on, be the guy who tears down instead of builds up. Seems you are really good at it, so you might as well be good at something, amiright?

Comment

• HOW THE RICH ARE COPING WITH COVID-19

Wealthy people are buying out entire hotels as they flee major cities for more secluded suburban areas, CNN Travel reports.
                        Renting out suites, hotels, and holiday homes in remote areas is the latest way wealthy people are trying to skirt the threat of the coronavirus.
                        Billionaires are chartering superyachts to escape from the outbreak (though not without backlash), while private plane use has seen a spike even as commercial air travel tumbles.
                        Some wealthy people have started renting hotel rooms, inn lodgings, and resort suits, as they flee major cities to less densely populated areas, CNN Travel reports. But the even more affluent are taking it a step further and reserving entire properties for themselves.
                        Blantyre Country Resort, a luxury country house hotel in the Berkshires that typically opens in May, is making itself available now to those seeking to reserve the entire property for a small group or a single family. The cost of a buyout? US$38,000 a day.
                        https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...irus-threat-us

Comment

oh the irony in that last statement. That's all you have been doing with Trump.
                          No - it's not all. My attacks on that messenger are specifically because of his message and his actions, and framed with respect to it. I don't speculate about what he might say or might do - I highlight what he HAS said and HAS done. My impressions are not formed based on what someone reports about him but rather by what he himself says and does.

Your response was pure speculation you cannot possibly substantiate (nor can I refute it) because it's a guess.

Go on, be the guy who tears down instead of builds up. Seems you are really good at it, so you might as well be good at something, amiright?
                          This is your new theme, apparently. Have fun with it. Meanwhile, some of us will be acting locally while simultaneously holding failing and failed leaders to account for the decisions they are (or are not) making that are costing lives. And some of us will be working to replace that failed leadership with something better - rather than just fawning and bowing and scraping to his every word and deed.

Comment

• TAKE THAT, USA...

Coronavirus: North Korea claims to be 'totally free' of virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52146989

Comment

Oh there are a lot of suggestions being made, Sparko, both here and by the medical experts and by the governors. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the Trump Ego before any of it will be processed and acted on. So there's a lot of fawning, and the required obeisance, and things couched carefully so the boss doesn't blow up - and the result is a piecemeal approach with little central coordination.

The fawning of you and others like you over this man is what I am sick of - but fair is fair - what I am sick of is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

Meanwhile - I'd be happy to give you a list of the "solutions" I am actually helping with here in my community!
                              when have I fawned over Trump? I have repeatedly said I don't like the guy, that he is a narcissist. I have even said that I wish he would just stop talking at the press conferences because all he does is ramble on and on repeating himself and saying things that are wrong. But he is deferring to the experts on this. While he might be a jackass on TV, he is letting the people who know what they are doing actually do it. I think the CDC, Fauci, and the others are doing everything they can and responding in an appropriate fashion. When Trump was thinking about lifting the restrictions by Easter, they were the ones who convinced him not to, and he listened.

But your constant blaming Trump for everything and expecting him to have been a prophet and had this thing wiped out single handedly before it even started is unrealistic. You are viewing this with hindsight. At the time, China was telling people it wasn't transmittable between humans, then they played down the severity. It was in the middle of February before the CDC realized it was out in the wild and was spreading like crazy. By that time, Trump had already stopped flights from China and then Europe shortly after. Only later did they realize the shortages of PPE and ventilators and they began working on that, which takes time.

So I see the administration and the CDC as having done as best a job as they could with what they have. The only thing I am upset about is the lying by the CDC about face masks. But I bet if they said that masks were useful but we need to keep them for healthcare workers, they would have been hoarded like TP.

Comment

Ahahahahahaha.

It's great when you have a totalitarian government that can lie with a straight face, huh?

Comment