Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It was never a pejorative except in the minds of those determined to be offended and with the Chicoms who don't want anyone remembering how horribly (and often deliberately so) they mishandled it.

Even Asian news services were referring to it that way.
    You are using it as a pejorative in this post rogue.

You can refer to the poor handling of the virus by the chinese government without impuing the entire population and without attaching that criticism to the name of the virus itself.

But I'm done on this topic. People intent on this sort of behavior rarely if ever have any sort of misgivings about whether or not they are doing wrong when they do it and further they typically get their jollies by snubbing their noses at decency. So be it. Tell your story to God when you stand before Him one day and see if He buys into it.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Again, it is not that we can pretend there is not a potential for serious economic consequences. That is just as real as the disaster in terms of human Ives of ignoring the danger the virus presents. The problem is pretending there is only one problem to be solved. These are two problems where the solution to one exaggerates the danger of the other.

There is no simple solution. We need to be smart, we need to care about and be wise wrt each of them, and we need to work together to try to avoid the worst of either.

Your comment about doubting millions will die is simple ignorance. 1% of 150 million is 1.5 million. And the number is that low only if less than half get the disease in this country, and if we do NOT overwhelm the medical system.
      I have actually appreciated your attention to the data. I've been crunching some numbers for the U.S. at the state level. Despite all of the attention on New York, the state with the most infections per capita (so far) is my humble little state of Vermont. It's twelfth in infections per square mile and third in deaths per capita. In terms of infections per square mile, NYC is off the charts. NYC currently has 17,856 confirmed cases (over a quarter of all U.S. cases) in 302.6 square miles for a density of 59 cases per square mile. The state as a whole has 0.57 cases per square mile, so they are clearly strongly concentrated in NYC.

I hope anyone who can escape NYC and self-isolate in another location does so. Lot's of space up here in Vermont!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You are using it as a pejorative in this post rogue.

You can refer to the poor handling of the virus by the chinese government without impuing the entire population and without attaching that criticism to the name of the virus itself.

But I'm done on this topic. People intent on this sort of behavior rarely if ever give a crap about whether or not they are doing wrong when they do it and get their jollies by snubbing their noses at decency. So be it.
        As I said "in the minds of those determined to be offended."

You might notice that I never even mentioned in that post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As I said "in the minds of those determined to be offended."

You might notice that I never even mentioned in that post
          You did indeed use the pejorative appellation you attach to the virus in that post:

Originally posted by rogue06
          and with the Chicoms who don't want ....
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

New York Times to claim he was being "muzzled."

Now the MSM is busy trying to foment strife over recent disagreements and comments despite Fauci repeatedly declaring that there is "no fundamental difference" between Trump and him on how to handle the Chicom coronavirus.
            That is a fantasy rougue. Fauci has routinely had to correct Trump, over and over again. Trump doesn't allow for that and will eventually fire him for it. Fauci has be an honest, truthful voice so far, and based on other responses clearly understands that he is walking a very thin rope trying to actually tell the truth with Donald Trump standing behind him and speaking falsehoods before him.

Trumps responses are on tape rogue, as are fauci's corrections. You can't spin this. Trump has to be corrected nearly every time the two of them are on the podium together.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              I have actually appreciated your attention to the data. I've been crunching some numbers for the U.S. at the state level. Despite all of the attention on New York, the state with the most infections per capita (so far) is my humble little state of Vermont. It's twelfth in infections per square mile and third in deaths per capita. In terms of infections per square mile, NYC is off the charts. NYC currently has 17,856 confirmed cases (over a quarter of all U.S. cases) in 302.6 square miles for a density of 59 cases per square mile. The state as a whole has 0.57 cases per square mile, so they are clearly strongly concentrated in NYC.

I hope anyone who can escape NYC and self-isolate in another location does so. Lot's of space up here in Vermont!
              and if they are infected they are spreading all the way there, every time they stop for food, ask for direction, stop to go to the bathroom or get gas. And they have no where to actually stay once they get there. Do you expect them to sleep in their car? They would have to go to a hotel, exposing the hotel staff, and they would have to venture out to get food and supplies. People aren't going to go to some place distant and self-isolate. Nice concept but if they are scared enough to run, they won't care who they expose.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                As predicted, Fauci has become a target. Right now it is the extreme right, but I predict Trump will pick up the chant either before or slightly after Fox News does, and then it will move more center right and, eventually, Fauci will be fired. Somewhere along that sequence it will become the mantra of many here. I predict a matter of days to a couple weeks at the outside for this to happen.

This is the pattern we have seen for countless people before. Contradict Trump or show him in a bad light in any way, or become visibly more popular/beloved, and that is your fate if you work for the federal government. It doe snot matter what your record was or how you were viewed before - dirt will be slung.
                You guys are easily fooled, aren't you? Anything you think might make President Trump look bad, and you run with it. Dr. Fauci has repeatedly chastised liberals in general and the mainstream media in particular for trying to drive a wedge between he and the President. He says it's not going to work, and people need to get their priorities in order.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That is a fantasy rougue. Fauci has routinely had to correct Trump, over and over again. Trump doesn't allow for that and will eventually fire him for it. Fauci has be an honest, truthful voice so far, and based on other responses clearly understands that he is walking a very thin rope trying to actually tell the truth with Donald Trump standing behind him and speaking falsehoods before him.

Trumps responses are on tape rogue, as are fauci's corrections. You can't spin this. Trump has to be corrected nearly every time the two of them are on the podium together.
                  So you're saying that Fauci is a liar then.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It would depend on it it came to be a pejoratice, as 'china virus' and 'chicom' virus. On these pages they are not associated with the origin but the attempt to pin blame on the Chinese for the epidemic.
                    This is false.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    And that is why attacks on people of asian descent are up. The issue here is Trumps use of it as a pejorative, and the subsequent adoption of the same by his base.
                    Because nobody knew this thing originated in China until Trump said it, am I right?

Screenshot_20200325_154639.jpg

Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-25-2020, 02:55 PM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You did indeed use the pejorative appellation you attach to the virus in that post:
                      It's the Chinese communist government a.k.a. "Chicoms" for short.

But that isn't even what you claimed.

as 'china virus' and 'chicom' virus

Keep your stories straight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        You guys are easily fooled, aren't you? Anything you think might make President Trump look bad, and you run with it.
                        No need to, Trump does it all by himself.

Comment

• 00000000000000ab000-00aaai5.jpg
                          smiley hair-fire.gif

Didja ever notice how the MSM will no longer call it a "sneak attack" but rather a "surprise attack"? You know like a "surprise party"?

Comment

I was listing the general ignorance displayed on this site, not the ignorance YOU displayed on this site. You display of ignorance has been primarily in the play it down arena, but you never tried to say it is 1/10 that of the flu.
                            I asked what I
                            Good numbers, but you are ignoring the implications of them.
                            Not at all because to compare it, we can look at other outbreaks over the past century as well as looking at the details. GP death rate is around 1-1.5%. Spanish Flu was around 10-20%, flu is roughly .02%. So it is more deadly than a seasonal flu (.02% death rate), but not as deadly as past plagues.

It is 2x as communicable as the flu.
                            50% of the population is 150 mullion people. 1% of that is 1.5 million people. That is what happens if we slow the spread but do not find viable treatments that reduce the mortality rate.
                            If it all happens at once because we did not do anything to stop the spread, then we are looking at at least 2 or 3x that number because the mortality without competent hospital care is typically more like 4 or 5%.
                            For older folks, yes, for younger. Not so much. The younger you are, the less likely you are to have serious complications.

So you seat of the pants speculation is irrelevant pix. The data is what counts. My numbers are based on the numbers, the statistics as they are derived from the actual progression of the disease in the world.
                            Wrong on two counts. First, there are countries were there is sufficient testing to know what is really happening with the spread of the disease. S. Korea is one of the best, and it is the numbers from S. Korea I am using. We are seeing the same trend in Germany were they are also doing massing testing. Early numbers that are less that 1%, and then a gradual rise towards that number. Second, we are consistently seeing numbers above 1%, and what is happeing in Italy and other countries where the spread is unchecked makes speculation this 1% number could be in any significant doubt virtually fantasy. .1 or .2% doesn't do what is happening in Italy, in Spain, in NY
                            Have they tested the entire country?
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-25-2020, 02:59 PM.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's the Chinese communist government a.k.a. "Chicoms" for short.

But that isn't even what you claimed.

as 'china virus' and 'chicom' virus

Keep your stories straight.
                              So you are going to play little word games now? I do so often forget how hard it is to get the dishonest to admit their deeds.

You use the term 'Chicom virus' as a pejorative - to try to attach some sort of blame for the virus itself. "chicom" is the pejorative. In case you hadn't noticed, 'virus' is not what makes the term pejorative.

The virus exists because it evolved.

https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-eve...ronavirus.html

And it evolved well enough to spread 2 to 3x as easily as the Flu. It wasn't going to be contained, and neither was Trump going to do anything about it before it became a disaster because the only thing you can do about it is shut down travel and practice social distancing which is a real bummer for the economy. Trump had months to react even with the Chinese failures. And he did one thing during that time: close down travel from China. The equivalent of tossing a glass of water on a bonfire.

Blaming china is a diversion aimed at firing up his base and keeping them from noticing he is the one to blame for what we face right now.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-25-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                I asked what IHave they tested the entire country?
                                No - but they don't have to. they have tested enough people to control the outbreak. That means they know the majority of those carrying the virus, otherwise it would still be spreading exponentially. Do you want me to show you the equations that describe the percent of the population carrying the virus which must be known and quarantined to curb exponential growth?

To stop a disease spread from growing R0 must be BELOW 1. If every person infects between 2 and 3 (say 2.3)., then to reduce R0 to less than 1, you must know and have quarantied at any given time 1 - 1/2.3 of the population carrying the disease. That is 56% of the population. That means that S. Korea has tested enough people to have in quarantine AT LEAST 56% of its infected population. That means that the real low bound for the mortality rate is .56*1.3 or .73%. That's the most you can get. And given they have turned the corner and are seeing continuously diminishing infections, they have clearly uncovered significantly more than 56% of the current infected population, meaning the real mortality is >.73%.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-25-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment