Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Good for you then. How that was a given when there was a video you had not watched and a text you had not read is anyones guess, especially since the "style" in a video would be different from the "style" of a written text. And it would have been easy for him to leave no doubt about the statement by not putting quotation marks around something that was not a direct quote.
    If you're really interested in why I picked up on the fact that he was not giving a direct quote, read post #1796. It becomes pretty easy to identify this style of paraphrasing once you've been around on the internet long enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Over 124,000 new cases worldwide in the last 48 hours.

In the US, almost 34,000 new cases in the last 48 hours.

The doubling period for the US is ~ 4 days,

The doubling period for deaths in the US is just a little more than 2 days.

At this rate, the US mortality will get worse, not better, even though we are doing more testing. We now stand at 1.7%, up from 1.5% last week.

Germany, the anomalous gold standard last week at <.4% has risen to .85% as mortality catches up with a rigorous testing protocol.

S. Korea, whose aggressive testing and isolation protocols have enabled them to control the spread is now showing a mortality of 1.5% as more than half their surge cases have finished the course of the disease. Whereas at one point many believed it would harbinger a better mortality because aggressive testing was allowing them to show mortalities well below 1%, around .6% or less.

Consider the difference between a president that drags his feet and a government that will not cooperate with itself and what happened in S.Korea. With a dense population and a massive exposure to a large element of the population with a super spreading event, when they had thousands of cases when we had <100, they now stand at <10,000 cases, adding maybe 100 per day, we are completely and totally out of control.

The logarithmic growth curves of nearly every major country - other than the US - show a flattening in their growth rates. Even Utaly.

But not the US, The US is still a nearly straight line in the logarithmic view, implying continued EXPONENTIAL growth.

One man holds the majority of the responsibility for this. And the people that even now cheer him on in ignorance and - due to the fact he literally is putting the brakes on aid to needy areas of the country over perceived slights by governors - in moral depravity.
      This should be the key issue being discussed. The US numbers are out of control and it’s frightening. Even in Australia, with pretty strict measures in place, we have doubled in the last week and I don’t believe there’s room for complacency because the rate it’s growing is crazy. We will hit one million infections in a few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        At this rate, the US mortality will get worse, not better...
        Of course we don't know if the rate will hold. As Dr. Fauci recently said, "I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection when it’s such a moving target, that you could so easily be wrong."

But good job keeping up with the fearmongering. You wouldn't anybody to start feeling little bit optimistic, would you?

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        One man holds the majority of the responsibility for this.
        Yep. This guy:

chinese-president-xi-jinping-waving-getty-640x480.jpg
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You're not reading my mind, prig, you're falsely accusing me of meaning one thing when I clearly and explicitly said another.
          Yeah, that's basically what "reading your mind" means. And your repeated name calling sure sounds like you're upset...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And I notice you didn't answer this: "Tell me you wouldn't be happy and walking around with a grin on your face if this situation directly contributed to Trump losing the election."

Is it because your response would only validate what I and others have said?
          Nah. It's because I preferred focusing on your weaseling out of the worse/worst discussion, and your clear angst at having your mind read.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            There are probably 100 million liberals on this planet, I don't know what they all think, apparently you do. This is a pandemic. Being scared is quite normal under those circumstances. Talking about exponential contamination in such times is par for the course. Questioning if the authorities are doing the right thing is also fair. In one post you are doubtful of Dr. Fauci but you have nothing but praise for Dr. Birx. Your auto-reflect is to defend Trump at all costs. If one examines not through rose-tainted glass what he has done so far, it's a poor performance as there are many parallels with what the Chinese authorities did - first denials then when the numbers are exploding, a complete turnaround. Hopefully he will get better or else there will be many needless deaths.
            Don't you know, LM? All liberals are the same and they're all out to get Trump and all conservatives and MM knows what they are all thinking. It's a conspiracy, it is! Run for the hills...the liberals are coming, the liberals are coming!
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Trump's recent exchange with a CNN reporter:

REPORTER: I also would like to ask some comments you made on Friday. You were talking about governors and states, you said, "want them to be appreciative."

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I didn't say that.

REPORTER: You said if they don't treat you right, "I don't call." These are direct quotes, sir.

TRUMP: Excuse me. You ready? Take a look a lot what I said. I want them to be appreciative of me, okay? And then you cut it up. It is fake news.

REPORTER: You and your administration.

TRUMP: You just said it again. You know the answer, know the answer is a lie.

REPORTER: I can read you the full comment.

TRUMP: Your statement and your response and your answer is a lie. Here is the story, I said I want you to be appreciative of me and you go on and I go on and you cut it off.

REPORTER: You said, "I want them to be appreciative, I don't want them to say things that are not true. I want them to be appreciative. We have done a great job. I am not talking about me, I am talking about Mike Pence and the task force and the Army Corp. of Engineers. If they don't treat me right, I don't call."

TRUMP: I don't call -- I don't call. I don't call the governor of Washington.

REPORTER: Why in this time --

TRUMP: Mike Pence calls and FEMA calls. Did I ask Mike to do anything negative to the state of Washington? Michigan? I love that state, I love that state. So proud of what's happening with the auto industry coming back to Michigan. No, I don't have to call. I am probably better off not. We don't get along, he's a failed presidential candidate, the governor of Washington. He's a nasty person, so you know who calls? Mike Pence. I get the head of FEMA and the admiral to call.

What you did not say. You started it off and you talked about -- I have to be appreciated. You said because if you don't appreciate, you are not respecting these incredible people, the two admirals, you are not appreciating FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers who build 2,900 beds in three and a half days. You are not appreciating all the work that has been done and these incredible people that are delivering things in numbers that nobody has ever seen.

That's why people are not watching CNN very much anymore. That's why they don't like it and your rating are no good. You, after knowing the truth for days now, you bring up the old lies. Read the rest of your question, the rest of your statement, you didn't put in. You have to put that in. It said in there, FEMA it says Army Corps of Engineers because when they disrespect me, they are disrespecting our government. You know what -- I don't mind if I am disrespected but they can't disrespect the Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA.

Please, go ahead. I want them to appreciate the incredible job we are doing. We are doing a job the likes of which never been done before. There are a couple of people that know that. But for political reasons, let's say they are Democrats, they don't want to give this administration credit. It is okay. I don't have to deal with them but our vice president is dealing with them. That is why CNN is not trusted anymore. They are fake news.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._old_lies.html

Ouch.

Comment

We don't know.
                Actually, with reasonable certainty, we do. We know that not everyone is being tested. We know that means that people with the virus are almost certainly uncounted. We know there are not enough test kits to go around. That means that some deaths due to the coronavirus are most certainly being missed. What we don't know is the scale of the problem. Unless you actually think it is possible/probable that every death in the U.S. due to the coronavirus has been correctly identified as such and counted. If so much as one has not - then the deaths are being under counted.

But here's where the usual MM hairsplitting will come in. There is no way to know any of this for 100% certain, so you can fall back on "we don't know." Except most reasonable people actually do know - as much as anything can be known. No reasonable person would consider the suggestion that every single death due to the coronavirus in the U.S> has been identified and counted since the start of the epidemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedeprig View Post
                  Yeah, that's basically what "reading your mind" means.
                  Less charitably, it's called a lie. You admitted that my statement as posted was correct and then falsely claimed that it must have been a "slip" and that I really meant something different despite the fact that I have been consistent on that point. So, yeah, I'll just call you a liar for the fact that you're continuing to claim I meant something other than what I clearly and explicitly said.

Comment

Of course we don't know if the rate will hold. As Dr. Fauci recently said, "I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection when it’s such a moving target, that you could so easily be wrong."

But good job keeping up with the fearmongering. You wouldn't anybody to start feeling little bit optimistic, would you?

Yep. This guy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43712[/ATTACH]
                    Horse hockey. In the U.S., Mr. Trump is the primary person responsible for the ongoing mess. He was being told by his intelligence people in January and February that the Chinese were probably not giving the straight scoop. If investment brokers could see the writing on the wall and start adjusting investments, there is no excuse for the person in the Oval Office claiming "everything under control" as late as 10 days ago. There is no excuse for the foot dragging on so many fronts in the last two weeks. Orange Man is indeed bad.

Meanwhile, for all the bluster about Democrats "taking advantage of the situation for political gain," the Trump administration is suspending all EPA regulation enforcement "due to the national emergency." That makes sense - let's go ahead and pollute the air more in the face of a virus that primarily attacks the lungs. It seems taking advantage of a crisis is not just a Democratic thing. Trump and the GOP are just as capable of leveraging a crisis.

Comment

Less charitably, it's called a lie. You admitted that my statement as posted was correct and then falsely claimed that it must have been a "slip" and that I really meant something different despite the fact that I have been consistent on that point. So, yeah, I'll just call you a liar for the fact that you're continuing to claim I meant something other than what I clearly and explicitly said.
                      Of I'm used to your less charitable side, MM. It's on display most of the time - as is the juvenile name substitution you enjoy so much. But I kind of like "carpedeprig." Has a nice ring.

Clearly you made a "slip of the fingers," and then leveraged it to get out of a logical corner. It's evident to pretty much anyone following the conversation. Very disingenuous of you. I would have expected more honesty from a "man of god." Tsk...tsk...tsk.

Yours -

Carpe de Prig :duel: <- well that sword fighting emoji is in there somewhere!

Comment

Trump's recent exchange with a CNN reporter:

REPORTER: I also would like to ask some comments you made on Friday. You were talking about governors and states, you said, "want them to be appreciative."

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I didn't say that.

REPORTER: You said if they don't treat you right, "I don't call." These are direct quotes, sir.

TRUMP: Excuse me. You ready? Take a look a lot what I said. I want them to be appreciative of me, okay? And then you cut it up. It is fake news.

REPORTER: You and your administration.

TRUMP: You just said it again. You know the answer, know the answer is a lie.

REPORTER: I can read you the full comment.

TRUMP: Your statement and your response and your answer is a lie. Here is the story, I said I want you to be appreciative of me and you go on and I go on and you cut it off.

REPORTER: You said, "I want them to be appreciative, I don't want them to say things that are not true. I want them to be appreciative. We have done a great job. I am not talking about me, I am talking about Mike Pence and the task force and the Army Corp. of Engineers. If they don't treat me right, I don't call."

TRUMP: I don't call -- I don't call. I don't call the governor of Washington.

REPORTER: Why in this time --

TRUMP: Mike Pence calls and FEMA calls. Did I ask Mike to do anything negative to the state of Washington? Michigan? I love that state, I love that state. So proud of what's happening with the auto industry coming back to Michigan. No, I don't have to call. I am probably better off not. We don't get along, he's a failed presidential candidate, the governor of Washington. He's a nasty person, so you know who calls? Mike Pence. I get the head of FEMA and the admiral to call.

What you did not say. You started it off and you talked about -- I have to be appreciated. You said because if you don't appreciate, you are not respecting these incredible people, the two admirals, you are not appreciating FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers who build 2,900 beds in three and a half days. You are not appreciating all the work that has been done and these incredible people that are delivering things in numbers that nobody has ever seen.

That's why people are not watching CNN very much anymore. That's why they don't like it and your rating are no good. You, after knowing the truth for days now, you bring up the old lies. Read the rest of your question, the rest of your statement, you didn't put in. You have to put that in. It said in there, FEMA it says Army Corps of Engineers because when they disrespect me, they are disrespecting our government. You know what -- I don't mind if I am disrespected but they can't disrespect the Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA.

Please, go ahead. I want them to appreciate the incredible job we are doing. We are doing a job the likes of which never been done before. There are a couple of people that know that. But for political reasons, let's say they are Democrats, they don't want to give this administration credit. It is okay. I don't have to deal with them but our vice president is dealing with them. That is why CNN is not trusted anymore. They are fake news.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._old_lies.html

Ouch.
                        Adding to this, it's actually the first time I've seen the full quote. People falsely claimed that Trump would refuse to send aid to governors that refused to appreciate him, but that's not what he said.

"I want them to be appreciative, I don't want them to say things that are not true. I want them to be appreciative. We have done a great job. I am not talking about me, I am talking about Mike Pence and the task course and the Army Corp. of Engineers. If they don't treat me right, I don't call."

Trump doesn't care about himself, it's the people working for him that he wants to be appreciated and respected (notice he says, "We have done a great job"; he's not taking the credit for himself), and if they disrespect his administration, they don't get the honor of speaking with their President. I don't see the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
                          Clearly you made a "slip of the fingers," and then leveraged it to get out of a logical corner.
                          Clearly you're a bald-faced liar. It's evident to pretty much anyone following the conversation. Very disingenuous of you. But honestly, I don't expect any better from you.

Comment

Adding to this, it's actually the first time I've seen the full quote. People falsely claimed that Trump would refuse to send aid to governors that refused to appreciate him, but that's not what he said.

"I want them to be appreciative, I don't want them to say things that are not true. I want them to be appreciative. We have done a great job. I am not talking about me, I am talking about Mike Pence and the task course and the Army Corp. of Engineers. If they don't treat me right, I don't call."

Trump doesn't care about himself, it's the people working for him that he wants to be appreciated and respected (notice he says, "We have done a great job"; he's not taking the credit for himself), and if they disrespect his administration, they don't get the honor of speaking with their President. I don't see the problem.
                            Directly from Trump: "When they're not appreciative to me, they are not appreciative to the army corps; they are not appreciative to FEMA. It's not right.' You can find the video anywhere. This is a walk-back of his comments. In fairness - in the same video, he also says "it's not about me" earlier on in the video, and then says this in the context of his statement to Pence not to call.

Ultimately, it all depends on which of his contradictory statements you believe reflects the actual Trump. He's good at this. But history has shown that he is vindictive, seeks retribution and vengeance for any slight, bullies, and cannot stand to be criticized. I find the second statement (the one I quoted above) to be the more likely reflection of his actual state of mind.

Comment

Clearly you're a bald-faced liar. It's evident to pretty much anyone following the conversation. Very disingenuous of you. But honestly, I don't expect any better from you.
                              MM! Oh my! How COULD you be so cruel!

Yeah...I think anyone following the conversation will see the wiggling dance you're doing - and the "jello meets nail and tree" exercise you're engaging in. Its pretty evident. Worse instead of worst? Could happen to anyone. Most of us would simply acknowledge it.

Yours sincerely -

Carpe de Prig!
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-29-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                MM! Oh my! How COULD you be so cruel!

Yeah...I think anyone following the conversation will see the wiggling dance you're doing - and the "jello meets nail and tree" exercise you're engaging in. Its pretty evident. Worse instead of worst? Could happen to anyone. Most of us would simply acknowledge it.

Yours sincerely -

Carpe de Prig!
                                So, no mustache or beard!

Comment