Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I hope you guys are taking this seriously. Social distancing will stop it, we all have to participate, stop going to bars, restaurants, cinema, on buses, trains, planes, etc.
    The people in ITU’s now were infected two weeks ago. The medics are going down too. It is hard to imagine anything worse.
    In most places bars, restaurants, and cinemas are closed with the exception of drive throughs

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Jim, the hate for China is not for the Chinese people generally. In that post I was specifically speaking to the actions of the government, my OP made that clear. And yes I hate that godless totalitarian regime.
      You also have a habit of posting clickbait titles for your threads.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        That the thread "Can we hate China now" was started by a Christian is a fact. And it is simply a fact that the term "china virus" is part of an effort to cast blame on China itself for the existence of this virus. And it is a fact that doing that increases hatred towards a race of people, and that doing so can contribute to the uptick in hateful actions against asians that we are seeing.

Do you support violence against or hatred of Chinese nationals because this virus originates in China? Do you want to be part of actions that will contribute to such violence?

I don't. And I don't understand how a person that calls Jesus Lord would want to participate in the same.
        That isn't fair. He was obviously referring to the nation of China not the race of people. In particular the communist government.

Comment

Jim, the hate for China is not for the Chinese people generally. In that post I was specifically speaking to the actions of the government, my OP made that clear. And yes I hate that godless totalitarian regime.
          Unfortunately hostility against asians over this is on the rise. Maybe the mods would allow a slight change: can we hate what communism has done to china, and now the world?
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Unfortunately hostility against asians over this is on the rise. Maybe the mods would allow a slight change: can we hate what communism has done to china, and now the world?
            It's because there are stupid racists in the world. They know the virus came from China so they think the chinese race is to blame. They think that no matter what the virus is called. It's not like Trump said "Chinese Virus" and then they started thinking this. It was called the Wuhan virus and people were told it was coming from china by the MSM long before then.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              You also have a habit of posting clickbait titles for your threads.
              Who me?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• A good overview:
                https://www.facebook.com/BusinessIns...7978236025281/
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

What a bizarre response. What sort of Church do you attend where what is immoral depends on whether or not a Christian is doing it?
                  So you’re not getting paid to throw up pro China talking points and falsely accuse your brothers and sisters of racism. That sucks, you’re spreading China propaganda for free because they took advantage of your TDS.

And no pix - I am fully aware of the danger the Chinese government presents to our way of life. But this is not that. This is people trying to place the blame for the evolution of a virus and its effect on our civilization on a race of people.
                  So you have proof that your fellow Christians are racist vs you’re bearing false witness to defend communist China. Present your proof or admit you just made a false accusation, I’ll wait.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    The parentage and source of a flu strain is not always easy to decipher. There is evidence that the 2009 flu may have come from Indiana, others suggest California, other Mexico. And even others have suggested an escapee from a lab, other from a batch of vaccine. Zoonotic diseases are very difficult to trace, the 2009 was 'hotter' in humans than pigs, so it could have circulated a while unnoticed.
                    Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of digging since Seer posted, and the 2016 report published in eLife and reported in Science Daily appears to be the latest word on the source of the epidemic. Until better information comes along, I'll accept it as "most probably true."
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-21-2020, 10:04 AM.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Rogue - whatever mistakes they made are a combination of their own culture, goverment ideology, and ignorance of who to handle the situation.

Exactly as in our own bungling governments response. There is nothing to be gained by trying to pretend 'this is all their fault'. The first truly major outbreak in this country did not happen because of something China did. It happened because the idiots in our own government did not take it seriously which resulted in the workers that received the Diamond Princess not being properly briefed and exposing themselves to the virus and taking it out into the community. From there we had the outbreak in the rest home killing a large number of its residents and infecting its workers.

The fault also lies in our own government for dragging its feet with testing and responding to the nature of the threat. This is ALL on us. On our leaders.

Trying to divert the hatred to China is a fools errand. We have exponential growth here now. And all our efforts need to be directed at getting the fool you elected to get off his duff and stay off it and mobilize all available resources in combating the spread of this disease.
                      Where did the virus start? Who could have stopped it? Who instead choose to hide it and let it become an international problem?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The point is there is no evidence that the US ever infected the rest of the world with a deadly virus. We tend to be cleaner with better laws about handing food.
                        Umm...that's a stretch. We were infected with many pandemics and had significant travel to other countries concurrently. While I know of no specific evidence that shows a person from the U.S. infected a person from Country X, to leap from that to "it never happened" (which you seem to be implying) is a serious stretch. At best, we can say we do not know. Given the numbers involved, it is more than a little likely that it has happened multiple times in history, IMO. But that is solely based on statistics and basic virology, not direct evidence that X infected Y.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So they did not know that their actions would allow the disease to spread?

I have been following this from day one and there was a question about what exactly this disease was and how serious it was. In those early days the only country that really had an understanding was China and they were not sharing that with the rest of the world.

So generally it is not the US that is infecting the world, it is countries like China.
                          If the US mismanaged this early on due to lack of information then why wouldn’t this same reason hold true for China? It’s not like this virus appeared with an instruction manual.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Even saying that it's the Wuhan coronavirus or Chinese coronavirus is strictly verboten and more than a few on the left won't even allow for discussions about the Chicom government's culpability in the matter seeking instead to blame Trump or preferring to be obsessed with declaring it's racist to make the connection.

I've proposed that we call it the Chicom coronavirus if folks insist on getting their knickers in a bunch over doing what we've done for numerous other diseases -- naming it after the area that it arose in or first became publicly known (like the Spanish Flu which did not originate in Spain)[1].

The very fact that the MSM had no trouble whatsoever calling it the Wuhan coronavirus[2] or Chinese coronavirus right up to the moment Trump did (I posted a link to a video to dozens of examples of them doing just that) reveals that this sudden sanctimoniousness has far more to do with hatred of Trump than any concern about supposed racism or xenophobia.

1. For instance

Source: Woke Media Calls Term ‘Wuhan Virus’ Racist After Using Term ‘Wuhan Virus’

In fact, it is common practice for diseases to be named after populations or places of their origin such as the West Nile Virus from the West Nile district of Uganda, or the St. Louis Encephalitis. Other examples include Lyme Disease from Lyme, Connecticut, the Guinea Worm from the Guinea coast of West Africa, the German Measles for the German doctors who first described it, the Ross River Fever from Australia, the Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever from Omsk Russia, the Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever from the Ebola River, the Marburg Virus Disease from Marburg, Germany, the Lassa Fever from Lassa, Nigeria, La Crosse Encephalitis from La Crosse, Wisconsin, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

They forgot the aforementioned Spanish Flu, as well as but not limited to, Aden Fever (a form of Dengue Fever named after the capital of Yemen), American trypanosomiasis (a.k.a. Chagas disease named after the American continents -- and Chagas was the name of a Brazilian doctor), Devonshire colic (named after the English county), Hantavirus (named after the Hantan river in South Korea), Hendra virus (named after a suburb of Brisbane, Australia), Japanese Encephalitis, Legionnaires' Disease (named after the 1976 American Legion convention in Philadelphia -- even the name of the bacteria responsible reflects this), MERS (Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome, which came from the Arabian Peninsula), Norovirus (named after the city of Norwalk, Ohio), Salonika or Salonica Fever (often called Trench Fever and named after Thessaloniki, Greece), Valley Fever (named after San Joaquin Valley of California), and Zika fever (named after the Ziika Forest of Uganda).

2. Apparently a Nexis search reveals that the term "Wuhan Virus" was often used by Asian news services.
                            Since I have never implied or said any of those things, I have no response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Personally, I am optimistic that we will find an effective treatment soon and won't have to wait for the vaccine. Like Trump said, We have the minds and resources of the entire planet focused on solving this one singular problem right now.
                              Agreed.

Comment

The hypocrisy of your position on this is highlighted by the thread next door: "Can we hate China now". This thread started by a Christian and highlights the reasons for the reactions. The problem with calling it the China virus is not because that is not it's geographic origin. It is because doing that is closely associated with racist and hateful rhetoric.

But I stand by my earlier observation: Trump very likely initiated this specifically to sow division. He's a troll. He knows most of his base will rally to him and most of the left will react, which is exactly what is happening, here and elsewhere. There is no other reason to intentionally beginning to insert "China" and "Chinese" in the name when we had a perfectly familiar label: coronavirus or Covid-19.

Don't feed the troll. Just vote him out on 11/3. Our nation deserves a better commander-in-chief than an Internet troll.
                                Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-21-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment