Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United States alone has as many cases as where known in the entire world 2 weeks ago, March 19.

The good news (I suppose) is that with that many cases we only have half as many deaths ...
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      We are now past 1M cases worldwide, and the U.S. has more cases than Spain and Italy combined, though they still have far more deaths. However, today we have had over 1,000 deaths in a single day for the first time, and the growth is relentlessly climbing. The average growth in the death rate for the last two weeks averages 27% per day. However, the doubling rate (currently every 4 days) seems to be slowing. Hopefully that trend continues. However, if hospitals hit the end of their supplies and resources this weekend as some are predicting, that could easily change.

Meanwhile, the wild-wild-west of PPE and supplies continues unabated. Massachusetts ordered 3M masks from China only to have them confiscated at the port of NY. So they whipped together another deal in a single day and the Patriots sent their private jet to go get them today. Creative. Sad that it has to be done this way...
      Just how Trump likes it. Chaos.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Just how Trump likes it. Chaos.
        Thus Jim’s raw hatred, is exposed again.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• So there have been lots of predictions about how all of this could affect 11/3. Here's another possible scenario. There are currently 10 states that have no "shelter-in-place" orders, and they look like a map of the red states in 2016. The governor of Georgia just announced that he didn't know that people could be asymptomatic and pass on the disease, and now has issued a shelter-in-place order. Note that this information has been public for weeks and the CDC is in Georgia! The governor of Alabama has announced no such order will be given because "we're not California." Unfortunately for him, Alabama now shows a steeper infection/death curve than California. Most of these states have governors who are staunch Trump allies and all of them have participated in the national calls with the White House and other governors.

So here's another possible scenario: those states will see a massive upward curve in both their infection and death rates, and will become coronavirus hot spots. Then the people of those states will realize that they've been sold a bill of goods by the denialism of their GOP leadership. The independents will abandon Trump and some part of his base will crack in those states out of anger at their situation. They will look at states like California that are already seeing signs of a bend in their growth curve, and look to see what kind of leadership led to those results.

Certainly not an implausible scenario - and the GOP leadership in those states and nationally is making that scenario more and more likely, IMO.

BTW - where the GOP sees a fractured Democratic party - I see a big tent party that is NOT walking in lockstep and has room for debate discussion about the issues, rather than marching in lockstep to the beat of their cult leader. I think many on the right are badly underestimating the anger of so many on the left...pretty much the way the left underestimated the anger of so many on the right in 2016. There is widespread resolve to see Mr. Trump to the door on January 20th. I, for one, will be voting with them. And though I am not a fan of a single party holding both houses and the executive, I am hoping for that outcome in 2020, to give the country a chance to recover from the damages wrought by Trump in the last 3+ years. And if McConnell has to be fighting for his seat in Kentucky...the stage looks well set for a solid Democratic return in November.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
            Meanwhile, the wild-wild-west of PPE and supplies continues unabated. Massachusetts ordered 3M masks from China only to have them confiscated at the port of NY. So they whipped together another deal in a single day and the Patriots sent their private jet to go get them today. Creative. Sad that it has to be done this way...
            Why are we trusting China for our medical supplies?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The United States alone has as many cases as where known in the entire world 2 weeks ago, March 19.

The good news (I suppose) is that with that many cases we only have half as many deaths ...
              Such pronouncements assume that the data coming from each country is accurate and of equal quality. Personally, I trust the US healthcare system to provide the most accurate data possible. Not so much other countries, especially those where the government controls the healthcare system and has a vested interest in keeping numbers artificially low.

Comment

So there have been lots of predictions about how all of this could affect 11/3. Here's another possible scenario. There are currently 10 states that have no "shelter-in-place" orders, and they look like a map of the red states in 2016. The governor of Georgia just announced that he didn't know that people could be asymptomatic and pass on the disease, and now has issued a shelter-in-place order. Note that this information has been public for weeks and the CDC is in Georgia! The governor of Alabama has announced no such order will be given because "we're not California." Unfortunately for him, Alabama now shows a steeper infection/death curve than California. Most of these states have governors who are staunch Trump allies and all of them have participated in the national calls with the White House and other governors.

So here's another possible scenario: those states will see a massive upward curve in both their infection and death rates, and will become coronavirus hot spots. Then the people of those states will realize that they've been sold a bill of goods by the denialism of their GOP leadership. The independents will abandon Trump and some part of his base will crack in those states out of anger at their situation. They will look at states like California that are already seeing signs of a bend in their growth curve, and look to see what kind of leadership led to those results.

Certainly not an implausible scenario - and the GOP leadership in those states and nationally is making that scenario more and more likely, IMO.

BTW - where the GOP sees a fractured Democratic party - I see a big tent party that is NOT walking in lockstep and has room for debate discussion about the issues, rather than marching in lockstep to the beat of their cult leader. I think many on the right are badly underestimating the anger of so many on the left...pretty much the way the left underestimated the anger of so many on the right in 2016. There is widespread resolve to see Mr. Trump to the door on January 20th. I, for one, will be voting with them. And though I am not a fan of a single party holding both houses and the executive, I am hoping for that outcome in 2020, to give the country a chance to recover from the damages wrought by Trump in the last 3+ years. And if McConnell has to be fighting for his seat in Kentucky...the stage looks well set for a solid Democratic return in November.
                Not to mention the Governor of Mississippi who overuled the states counties shelter-in-place orders a week ago, only to reverse himself today, or yesterday. Apparently they are taking their marching orders from Trump, both in their refusal at first to order shelter-in-place, and now in their ordering sheltering-in-place, who admitted that he called them just prior to their seeing the light. Another misstep that Trump had to learn the hard way, and the citizens of those states are going to pay for it, hopefully their republican bootlicking Governors will pay as well.
                Last edited by JimL; 04-02-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

So there have been lots of predictions about how all of this could affect 11/3. Here's another possible scenario. There are currently 10 states that have no "shelter-in-place" orders, and they look like a map of the red states in 2016. The governor of Georgia just announced that he didn't know that people could be asymptomatic and pass on the disease, and now has issued a shelter-in-place order. Note that this information has been public for weeks and the CDC is in Georgia! The governor of Alabama has announced no such order will be given because "we're not California." Unfortunately for him, Alabama now shows a steeper infection/death curve than California. Most of these states have governors who are staunch Trump allies and all of them have participated in the national calls with the White House and other governors.

In all honesty, I think you underestimate the capacity of those media outlets in Trump's camp to scapegoat whatever is convenient, and the capacity of Trump's base to swallow it whole.

Comment

• Meanwhile, Chuck Schumer sent a "snitty" letter to Trump asking questions that Trump has already answered.

Trump's response, needless to say, was epic.

db04a839-e369-4920-b291-397a23476412.png.jpeg
                    f4549db0-09c8-42a3-baa7-d8a825dc761b.png.jpeg

Comment

In all honesty, I think you underestimate the capacity of those media outlets in Trump's camp to scapegoat whatever is convenient, and the capacity of Trump's base to swallow it whole.
                      Yeah - that's certainly possible for the base. "The buck stops there" is the Trump way.

But the all-important moderates/independents...? I think there is a good chance they will shift. Trump won in 2016 by less than 100,000 votes in three states - a squeak of a win (despite all of his misrepresentation about his "landslide"). I think reversing it in 2020 is definitely in reach.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Meanwhile, Chuck Schumer sent a "snitty" letter to Trump asking questions that Trump has already answered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43876[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]43877[/ATTACH]
                        The heck do we need a czar for lol? They're just needling, man.

Let's just create a whole new federal defense department like they did after 911. We'll call it the department of "Pathogen Liberty," print up another 500 bil or so, no probs.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          :) Much ado over nothing (come on... its funny! zero is nothing)
                          a) 1, 2, 3 etc. – hence all numbers and types of numbers – can be derived (if not by me) from the empty set: it seems “nothing” is unstable.

b) We had a Big Bang, so we now have a universe instead of nothing: it seems “nothing” is unstable.

c) The product of all the numbers in the empty set – that set which has NO numbers in it – is 1.
                          (“In Mathematics you don’t come to understand things, but just get used to them.” – the discoverer, John von Neumann.)

Thought I'd add my two-pennorth, albeit late.

Comment

Meanwhile, Chuck Schumer sent a "snitty" letter to Trump asking questions that Trump has already answered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43876[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]43877[/ATTACH]
                            I like his signature.

Comment

Such pronouncements assume that the data coming from each country is accurate and of equal quality. Personally, I trust the US healthcare system to provide the most accurate data possible. Not so much other countries, especially those where the government controls the healthcare system and has a vested interest in keeping numbers artificially low.
                              Personally I trust Australia’s numbers much more than I trust the US. It’s all meaningless, if these are the ‘artificially low’ numbers you’re suspecting then we have a bigger problem.

Comment

We are now past 1M cases worldwide, and the U.S. has more cases than Spain and Italy combined, though they still have far more deaths. However, today we have had over 1,000 deaths in a single day for the first time, and the growth is relentlessly climbing. The average growth in the death rate for the last two weeks averages 27% per day. However, the doubling rate (currently every 4 days) seems to be slowing. Hopefully that trend continues. However, if hospitals hit the end of their supplies and resources this weekend as some are predicting, that could easily change.

Meanwhile the left is having a field day mocking and belittling someone who converted 75% of his businesses into making masks for doctors and nurses. They'll be producing up to 50,000 per day.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment