Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Even radical Iham Omar is climbing aboard the Trump train.

Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) is offering rare praise for President Donald Trump’s leadership, calling his response to the coronavirus outbreak “incredible.”

“Politics aside, this is incredible and the right response in this critical time,” Omar, a member of the progressive “Squad,” wrote Wednesday evening in response to a list of Trump’s actions in response to the virus and its devastating economic impact.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ed-leadership/
    Brietbart does love to haul things out of context and spin it the way they wish. For those looking for the broader view, you can find it here. Her praise was in response to a specific tweet, and the following comment was generalized about "leadership" and not specific to Trump (though it may be she intended to include him).
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Brietbart does love to haul things out of context and spin it the way they wish. For those looking for the broader view, you can find it here. Her praise was in response to a specific tweet, and the following comment was generalized about "leadership" and not specific to Trump (though it may be she intended to include him).
      Spin like that could make even Chuck Yeager lose his lunch!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It looks like right person but wrong post
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
          And you didn't respond to Carpe's criticisms of trump, instead chnging the subject to his foreign policy.

My mistake.

Wow. Just take a breath and have a think about what you've written here. You want to criticise me, or the church in my country - go ahead. You want to ignore my advice as one believer to another - fine. But this stuff, and this attitude, just makes you look like a complete douche. I'm out.
          Sorry he did that. But you can put people on ignore. He certainly deserves it. He deserves to be matrixed actually, but I don't know if the mods here will see it that way. But I did report it.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

As I said, Seer, you cannot go from "two governors are saying nice things" to "he didn't mismanage the response to the outbreak." Trump is (finally) doing a few right things. For that he should get acknowledgement. It doesn't change the fact that, if he had done them sooner, we might actually have a shallower outbreak curve.
            I said he made missteps early on, but so did Obama with the Swine flu. The fact is almost everyone in DC is on the same page, even Iham Omar. It is about time we all pull together on this. But I'm glad you admit your hatred and bias.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              I said he made missteps early on, but so did Obama with the Swine flu. The fact is almost everyone in DC is on the same page, even Iham Omar. It is about time we all pull together on this. But I'm glad you admit your hatred and bias.
              The first case of swine flu was detected on April 15 2009, a state of emergency was declared on April 26th, the test kits were FDA approved and distributed on May 1st. So, what were the missteps made by Obama with respect to the swine flu?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Spin like that could make even Chuck Yeager lose his lunch!
                Pretty much my thought exactly.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I am constantly amazed by how often folks feel a need to go back to the "but what about Obama" well. I have said nothing about any previous presidents, either in praise or in condemnation. I am looking at the circumstances of THIS outbreak and the actions/inactions of the person currently occupying the oval office. Finally, Trump has acknowledged there is a problem and it is NOT "under control" and we are finally seeing measurable action. However, almost two months have largely been wasted. Meanwhile, the numbers are concerning. I went to bed last night with approximately 7,700 confirmed cases in the U.S. Tonight there are over 13,100 confirmed cases. Deaths have passed the 150 mark.

These numbers are slight in comparison with the flu, but the potential for this to be quite deadly especially in light of there being no vaccine is significant. Now that Trump has changed his tune, his base is falling in line and instead of "chicken little" we are hearing "let's all pull together." Some of us have been saying "we need to act on this" for weeks now.

As for your final comment, hatred I certainly admitted to, but bias you disingenuously added to my admission. I admitted nothing of the kind. I despise Trump for the kind of vile man he is and the example he has set for so much of our nation. I have come to find the Republican party a travesty, given its unassailable endorsement and defense of almost everything he does. The Republican leadership in Washington has sold its soul, and appears committed to that course. I do not see how any person of good conscience can support this man and look at themselves in the mirror with pride. I think it is a choice all of them will come to regret. Support for and endorsement of this foul man taints the entire party and the majority of Americans are very angry about it. The energy in the anti-Trump camp is palpable. We don't ave to be angry about fabricated issues - all we need to do is watch the man for a few minutes at on of his rallies or when giving a speech or reading his tweets. All we have to do is look at the carnage he has left in his wake. I have very high hopes that Trump and his ilk will be sent packing in November, and then we can set about the task of trying to undo the harms he has done. Some of them can never be undone - but at least we can do what we can.

Meanwhile, the Trump base can sit on the sidelines and scream "fake news" to its heart's content.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    The first case of swine flu was detected on April 15 2009, a state of emergency was declared on April 26th, the test kits were FDA approved and distributed on May 1st. So, what were the missteps made by Obama with respect to the swine flu?
                    We only had a handful of cases in April, which rapidly grew to 60 million. And we knew the flu was coming from Mexico. Tell me Jim what did Obama do to shut down travel from Mexico, the source of virus?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Hey I made my point, and linked the references. And the fact is much of the problem is simply the fact that it is often difficult to get large bureaucracies to move quickly. That is why the President needed to invoke the Defense Production Act. But hey Carp, you hate Trump, if he cured cancer you would say that it took him to long. And Trump was not micro managing the CDC who dropped the ball on testing kits. That was not on Trump.
                      The President created a systematic issue throughout the government, government bad people of your type tend to shout so must be cut\hamstrung, the effect of which was an inability to do the things that were needed at the time they were needed. Here is a list, it is no doubt incomplete because much of what happens is behind closed doors: https://forensicnews.net/2020/03/10/...in-the-making/

Comment

I am constantly amazed by how often folks feel a need to go back to the "but what about Obama" well. I have said nothing about any previous presidents, either in praise or in condemnation. I am looking at the circumstances of THIS outbreak and the actions/inactions of the person currently occupying the oval office. Finally, Trump has acknowledged there is a problem and it is NOT "under control" and we are finally seeing measurable action. However, almost two months have largely been wasted. Meanwhile, the numbers are concerning. I went to bed last night with approximately 7,700 confirmed cases in the U.S. Tonight there are over 13,100 confirmed cases. Deaths have passed the 150 mark.

These numbers are slight in comparison with the flu, but the potential for this to be quite deadly especially in light of there being no vaccine is significant. Now that Trump has changed his tune, his base is falling in line and instead of "chicken little" we are hearing "let's all pull together." Some of us have been saying "we need to act on this" for weeks now.

As for your final comment, hatred I certainly admitted to, but bias you disingenuously added to my admission. I admitted nothing of the kind. I despise Trump for the kind of vile man he is and the example he has set for so much of our nation. I have come to find the Republican party a travesty, given its unassailable endorsement and defense of almost everything he does. The Republican leadership in Washington has sold its soul, and appears committed to that course. I do not see how any person of good conscience can support this man and look at themselves in the mirror with pride. I think it is a choice all of them will come to regret. Support for and endorsement of this foul man taints the entire party and the majority of Americans are very angry about it. The energy in the anti-Trump camp is palpable. We don't ave to be angry about fabricated issues - all we need to do is watch the man for a few minutes at on of his rallies or when giving a speech or reading his tweets. All we have to do is look at the carnage he has left in his wake. I have very high hopes that Trump and his ilk will be sent packing in November, and then we can set about the task of trying to undo the harms he has done. Some of them can never be undone - but at least we can do what we can.

Meanwhile, the Trump base can sit on the sidelines and scream "fake news" to its heart's content.
                        The whole country is coming together, right and left, but your hate just won't allow you to let go...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                          You're assuming there's a simple option, like just moving your leg. Sometimes there is, and frankly I wish there was. Then again, sometimes a sacrifice has to be made to stop something even worse happening.

You do understand the concept of one person sacrificing their life for the benefit of many others, right?
                          There’s a range of options between ‘Lets all hide inside and hope this doesn’t cause a decade long depression’ and ‘lets go lick toilet seats’. If anything, some of these actions are short sighted and will likely make the problem worse.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I believe I have responded to both of them. I didn't realize you were parroting the same false information. My bad.
                            Aka you gave the classic Carp handwave and made it all go away. I suppose you did ‘respond’.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We only had a handful of cases in April, which rapidly grew to 60 million. And we knew the flu was coming from Mexico. Tell me Jim what did Obama do to shut down travel from Mexico, the source of virus?
                              Shutting down travel was contrary to the experts opinion then as it is today. The public was warned, told to protect themselves, in the same way as they have been today, but once the horse is out of the barn, so to speak, suspending travel from the host country, as you can see, even today, wasn't all that helpful in containing the spread of the virus once it was here. But that particular initiative, whether it's a good idea or not, isn't something that Trump has been criticized for anyway.

Comment

Pretty much my thought exactly.
                                At least you're self-aware enough to admit it.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment