Page 140 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2067

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

  1. #1391
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,422
    Amen (Given)
    5000
    Amen (Received)
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Iím talking about your point which this can cause mental health problems and stress. Iíll be fine, since Iíd rather not be in crowds, but Iím sure itís going to drive others mad.
    Yes, I know. I'm saying that I feel stress from it even though I'm an introvert and the edicts have had little direct impact on my lifestyle.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  2. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
  3. #1392
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,478
    Amen (Given)
    568
    Amen (Received)
    1858
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    ďWe spent years calling everything a crisis and saying weíre all going to die! Why do so few believe us now! Ē

    Good job, your TDS caused this.
    No pixie, your brand of ignorance caused this. The numbers have been out there for anyone to look at. The blame goes to ignorance, exactly the sort of ignorance that has been on public display on this site for years now by you and so many others. I told all of you where this was going 2 months ago. And I wasn't looking at the news. I was looking at the numbers. epidemiology is a science. And exponential curves are mathematics. The basic bits of information needed to figure this out are known by everyone with a high school biology class and High School algebra. That mean most if not all the idiots that have been playing this down for the last 2 or 3 months.

    The problem is people believing the lie that the MSM is fake news. And the paranoid paralysis that has gripped the conservative members of our society towards science, even in its most basic form.

    Maybe it's time to stop being ignorant boobs and following idiological morons?
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  4. #1393
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,950
    Amen (Given)
    1557
    Amen (Received)
    3524
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No pixie, your brand of ignorance caused this.
    What brand of ignorance is that? The brand that has told you, for three years, that calling everything a crisis, is dangerous because nobody will believe you when a real crisis comes? Your TDS caused this reaction Jim and the fact you shift the blame and donít want to look at your own actions and your own failure, speaks all by itself. If this truly is the wolf and the wolf eats the flock, you and your kind have much of the blame.

    The numbers have been out there for anyone to look at. The blame goes to ignorance, exactly the sort of ignorance that has been on public display on this site for years now by you and so many others. I told all of you where this was going 2 months ago. And I wasn't looking at the news. I was looking at the numbers. epidemiology is a science. And exponential curves are mathematics. The basic bits of information needed to figure this out are known by everyone with a high school biology class and High School algebra. That mean most if not all the idiots that have been playing this down for the last 2 or 3 months.
    You mean the same projections that have over predicted hospitalizations, by two to three times because only an idiot uses the retirement capital, of Europe, to make models on a population that is much younger? Nah, weíll ignore that just as youíll flat ignore that I have told you, for three years, that your freak outs were dangerous and nobody will believe you when the wolf finally comes knocking. If this is truly the wolf knocking at the door, you have responsibility for the bad that happens, rather you admit it or not.

    The problem is people believing the lie that the MSM is fake news. And the paranoid paralysis that has gripped the conservative members of our society towards science, even in its most basic form.
    So the MSN hasnít spent 3 years calling everything a crisis and trying to use this latest crisis, to push forth their own agenda? Good job, you ignore your cries of wolf and blame others for your failures. I truly hope I donít have to tell you Ďtold you soí because I truly hope there wonít be a million or more dead.

    Maybe it's time to stop being ignorant boobs and following idiological morons?
    Unintended irony, noted.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-25-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  5. #1394
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,950
    Amen (Given)
    1557
    Amen (Received)
    3524
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Yes, I know. I'm saying that I feel stress from it even though I'm an introvert and the edicts have had little direct impact on my lifestyle.
    Iím sure. Many are watching their retirement dwindling away and the possibility of being laid off. Itís stressful, even if the social isolation isnít a huge deal.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  6. #1395
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,478
    Amen (Given)
    568
    Amen (Received)
    1858
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    No pixie, your brand of ignorance caused this. The numbers have been out there for anyone to look at. The blame goes to ignorance, exactly the sort of ignorance that has been on public display on this site for years now by you and so many others. I told all of you where this was going 2 months ago. And I wasn't looking at the news. I was looking at the numbers. epidemiology is a science. And exponential curves are mathematics. The basic bits of information needed to figure this out are known by everyone with a high school biology class and High School algebra. That mean most if not all the idiots that have been playing this down for the last 2 or 3 months.

    The problem is people believing the lie that the MSM is fake news. And the paranoid paralysis that has gripped the conservative members of our society towards science, even in its most basic form.

    Maybe it's time to stop being ignorant boobs and following idiological morons?
    I would like to offer a sort of half-apology here. I get very, very frustrated with the impact of ideology on otherwise intelligent people. Pixie, MM, all this I debate continuously are intelligent people and capable of doing exactly what I've been doing in terms of looking at the data and deriving its implications. Some of my snarky comments are attempts to get them to take stock of where their paranoid bias against what they think of as 'liberals' (which unfortunately includes a large portion of those in the sciences) creates a blindness to the facts. The source must be some conservative pundit or it's suspect. And that means in this case raw data is suspect too.

    But I realize some of those snarky comments come across as personal jabs. And I really DON'T want to be about the business of taking personal jabs at people. When I do that, I'm not trying to diminish you, I'm trying to get you to question your denial of basic facts and their logical conclusions all because you don't like the ideology of the potential source of those same facts. And it is destroying you, our country. We've got to move away from all this. It is a cancer on this site, and in our country. Covid-19 is real. The data is the data. If we can't work together on this, it will devastate us. This insanity of demonizing people based on their political party must stop. We need both sides to get it right.

    Each side has a part of the truth. Each side has it's own set of blinders. Each side must learn to listen to the other side. No one has all the answers.
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  7. #1396
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,678
    Amen (Given)
    6228
    Amen (Received)
    7679
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I acknowledge that the "congratulations" was sarcastic/ironic. It's a fault of mine, a mistake I made more than once as a parent.
    It's a "mistake" you frequently make on this forum, too. We all instinctively recognize that there is a time and a place for insults and sarcasm. The problem comes when you think it's only appropriate when you choose the time and place. Look, I don't care if you do your own "trolling" (and don't sell yourself short, you are a master at the passive aggressive varity), just don't be a hypocrite about it, and everything's cool.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #1397
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,206
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1178
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    No, I've been ahead of Bad Orange Man on the "overreacting" thing, insofar as it relates to the "cure is worse than the disease" concept.

    I'm concerned about damage to the economy (which is not, BTW, just "mammon," you jackanapes), mental health, and societal cohesion.

    Wrong again, ass. I was happy using the proper technical terms until the libtard media, which itself had been freely using terms like "Wuhan virus," suddenly decreed those terms to be RACIST!!!!! -- whether because they had the silly idea they could effectively use them to bludgeon Bad Orange Man, or because they wanted to suck up to their barbaric subhuman Chicom masters, or whatever. Since then, I am morally compelled to use terms such as Kung Flu, and will continue to do so.
    You will note that I was speaking of trend lines, Norrin, not making accusations directed at an individual. If you are an exception and have been "ahead of Trump," then you are an exception. I still think you are as wrong as Trump, and pushing forward a dangerous narrative largely for the sake of money. There are many ways to deal with the mental health issues of isolation with modern technology and local social support, and I don't agree that social cohesion is all that much of an issue in a country where people cannot seem to post without resorting to name calling.

    And the behavior you are describing around use of "Chinese virus" is the classic definition of trolling. I cannot confirm your claim about "Wuhan virus" because a search for that phrase now brings up article after article about this very debate. I do know that my impression was that it was called the Wuhan virus back when it was initially limited to Wuhan. As it began to spread, the nomenclature from the CDC and WHO took hold and it was called the coronavirus. Then they introduced Covid-19 because coronavirus is the name for a family of viruses, and this virus is a new one to the family.

    As previously noted, Trump introduced "Chinese virus" late into the story for one and only one purpose: to start this argument. He thrives on polarization. The virus had a perfectly usable name. But fostering the us vs. them narrative is his standard operating procedure. As I said to someone else - it is for that reason I'm going to leave the last word on this to you and disengage. The discussion is pointless. If you want to engage in calling it the "Chinese virus" or the "Kung flu" and join in Trump's quest for polarization, have at it. I'll use the scientific terms.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  9. #1398
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,206
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1178
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Youíre still ignoring the cause. Iíve been saying, for years now, that the decision to make everything a crisis, for political gain, is dangerous. Liberals only have themselves to blame if few heed their warnings after years of creating crisis only for their to be none.
    • I have already noted that the failure to heed the science does not reduce to a single cause.
    • The use of superlatives usually signals bad information.
    • And are you seriously suggesting that only liberals make "everything a crisis?" The phenomenon cuts across most (if not all) 24-hour media outlets.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  10. #1399
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Land of the Large Atmosphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,711
    Amen (Given)
    1433
    Amen (Received)
    4127
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You will note that I was speaking of trend lines, Norrin, not making accusations directed at an individual. If you are an exception and have been "ahead of Trump," then you are an exception. I still think you are as wrong as Trump, and pushing forward a dangerous narrative largely for the sake of money. There are many ways to deal with the mental health issues of isolation with modern technology and local social support, and I don't agree that social cohesion is all that much of an issue in a country where people cannot seem to post without resorting to name calling.

    And the behavior you are describing around use of "Chinese virus" is the classic definition of trolling. I cannot confirm your claim about "Wuhan virus" because a search for that phrase now brings up article after article about this very debate. I do know that my impression was that it was called the Wuhan virus back when it was initially limited to Wuhan. As it began to spread, the nomenclature from the CDC and WHO took hold and it was called the coronavirus. Then they introduced Covid-19 because coronavirus is the name for a family of viruses, and this virus is a new one to the family.

    As previously noted, Trump introduced "Chinese virus" late into the story for one and only one purpose: to start this argument. He thrives on polarization. The virus had a perfectly usable name. But fostering the us vs. them narrative is his standard operating procedure. As I said to someone else - it is for that reason I'm going to leave the last word on this to you and disengage. The discussion is pointless. If you want to engage in calling it the "Chinese virus" or the "Kung flu" and join in Trump's quest for polarization, have at it. I'll use the scientific terms.
    Your characterizing people's concern for the economy as just caring about money is insulting. Maybe be a little slower to attribute selfish, greedy, or otherwise malevolent intentions to people.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

  11. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  12. #1400
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,206
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1178
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Your characterizing people's concern for the economy as just caring about money is insulting. Maybe be a little slower to attribute selfish, greedy, or otherwise malevolent intentions to people.
    Zym...when the argument is "the economy, the economy, the economy," the message is clear: the economy trumps everything (pun intended). We'll sell our souls to squeeze out another 1% GDP growth. That is a major part of what put Trump in the White House. We live in a society where the quest for money dominates pretty much everything else. We'll compromise our ecology for money. We'll support a clearly immoral man for the economy. We'll strip out programs to enable the poor because, "dammit - it's our money!"

    Yeah - I think most of the Republican party and most of the right has sold it's sold for mammon. In fact, it has tossed most of the core teachings of Jesus right out the window and used many of his words to endorse and foster some of the very things Jesus apparently spoke against, and downplay some of the various things Jesus apparent spoke for. In the process, they have created a form of "toxic Christianity" that has become unrecognizable as the religion based on one of the greatest teachers of history.

    And I think they will eventually pay a price for that. People are not blind - and eventually goodness wins out. Right now we are in the middle of a surge in hatred, polarization, and fear mongering. It is coming from all sides. Eventually, the tide will turn. It always does. The only question is, will the Christian right be part of leading that charge, or will they be an anchor striving to foster more hatred and animosity. So far, the latter appears more true than the former.

    ETA: I do like your sig! Please note that my language above is carefully chosen to reflect trend lines. You may be an exception to the rule. There are indeed pockets of resistance in the Christian right and Republican Party. They surface now and again to be heard. Hopefully, they will be heard more and more.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •