Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    No, this is a red herring that changes nothing about the math I described earlier, with which you've made 0 effort to interact with, confirming beyond any reasonable doubt my original assertion that you are physiologically incapable of seeing 1 inch in front of you.
    What the science says:

But of the 144 cases in people 85 and older, 31% to 71% were hospitalized and 6.3% to 29% needed intensive care. The death rate in that age group was 10% to 27%.

In contrast, among people 20 to 44, 14% to 21% of 705 cases were admitted to hospitals and 2% to 4% to ICUs; 0.1% to 0.2% died.

The rates for middle-aged people fell between these extremes, while 29% to 44% of patients 65 to 74 were hospitalized and 8% to 19% needed intensive care; 2.7% to 4.9% in this age group died.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/

So saying that 35000 people overwhelmed a health system is irrelevant to the point because what matters is the ages, not the fact 35000 people were sick. Evidently, you’re just not capable of understanding the point. 35000 sick people are likely not to cause the same problem in the US because the US has a younger population.

While I'm on the topic of correcting your many blunders, the virus IS dangerous to younger people too:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/2...d-severe-cases
    From your own link;

“They can come down with a severe case of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, but it’s less likely.”

My claim:

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    So panic buying pallets of toilet paper, hand soap, and disinfectant is a much better option? Fact is:a

If you’re under 70.
    Not a smoker.
    Have good health.

It’s very unlikely to kill you. Thus far, the panic appears worse than the disease itself.
    Reading is hard.

It's more LETHAL to old people but 40% of those hospitalized are between 20-52. What will happen to them if there's no space, staff or equipment to take care of them?
    20-52 is a pretty huge age range, that’s why I broke it down further. Try again.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Either they are not following what Trump has recently been doing or they are totally dishonest.
      Even radical Iham Omar is climbing aboard the Trump train.

Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) is offering rare praise for President Donald Trump’s leadership, calling his response to the coronavirus outbreak “incredible.”

“Politics aside, this is incredible and the right response in this critical time,” Omar, a member of the progressive “Squad,” wrote Wednesday evening in response to a list of Trump’s actions in response to the virus and its devastating economic impact.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ed-leadership/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        Has anyone else heard of millennials being more and more reported with COVID 19? I saw this on Daily Moth (news in ASL, but captioned too) today.
        It's probably true. I mean, it's not like they're naturally immune or anything. It's just that they are considerably less likely to get seriously ill than an old person or someone with existing health problems.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's probably true. I mean, it's not like they're naturally immune or anything. It's just that they are considerably less likely to get seriously ill than an old person or someone with existing health problems.
          she is hoping that what Trump wants to enact can be made permanent we American Citizens must hold our Government to the fire to make it temporary.
          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 03-19-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            she is hoping that what Trump wants to enacct can be made permenant we American Citizens must hold our Government to the fire to make it temporary.
            Um what? You must mean somebody else.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It looks like right person but wrong post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                What? Apparantly i wasnt clear. I meant the news vid I mentioned reported there were more reports of millenials with the virus.

Comment

she is a "Social Democrat" I'm talking about the plan to give folks 1000 dollars a month something social democrats want the government to do.

Comment

she is a "Social Democrat" I'm talking about the plan to give folks 1000 dollars a month something social democrats want the government to do.
                    MM was quoting me.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      So you bleed to death vs dying from a snake bite when moving your leg out of the way might have worked better.
                      You're assuming there's a simple option, like just moving your leg. Sometimes there is, and frankly I wish there was. Then again, sometimes a sacrifice has to be made to stop something even worse happening.

You do understand the concept of one person sacrificing their life for the benefit of many others, right?
                      ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Strange how you don't actually address the things I actually DID talk about in my post. Very mysterious.
                        And you didn't respond to Carpe's criticisms of trump, instead chnging the subject to his foreign policy.
                        1. I'm not an American.
                        My mistake.
                        . You country and people are both a complete laughingstock. I don't know anybody from any country who actually respects you, and I don't blame them. Edited by a Moderator
                        Wow. Just take a breath and have a think about what you've written here. You want to criticise me, or the church in my country - go ahead. You want to ignore my advice as one believer to another - fine. But this stuff, and this attitude, just makes you look like a complete Edited by a Moderator. I'm out.

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Easy on the language, please.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Chaotic Void; 03-20-2020, 01:32 AM.
                        ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

You mean the Response team that as put into place to handle Sars which was no longer a threat in 2018 when there was not China Virus to worry about? oh and by the way most of the peopel who had been on that team are not on teh team handling the China Virus pandemic.
                          The team was originally formed to deal with the SARs pandemic, but then morphed into a more general global health response team positioned to specifically deal with global health threats.

And I see Trump's "China Virus" is catching on with his base. It's unfortunate. We've already seen upticks in violence against persons of Asian descent. I have no clue why we cannot simply refer to this as the coronavirus or, more accurately, Covid-19. Instead we have to label it with its country of origin and further foster an us/them mentality. That is disappointing. No wonder this president is so widely seen as a polarizer and a person who fosters disunity.

You can skip the "why it's OK" explanation, if you wish, and save yourself some typing. I've heard it before and don't find it compelling.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Hey I made my point, and linked the references. And the fact is much of the problem is simply the fact that it is often difficult to get large bureaucracies to move quickly. That is why the President needed to invoke the Defense Production Act. But hey Carp, you hate Trump, if he cured cancer you would say that it took him to long. And Trump was not micro managing the CDC who dropped the ball on testing kits. That was not on Trump.
                            As I said, Seer, you cannot go from "two governors are saying nice things" to "he didn't mismanage the response to the outbreak." Trump is (finally) doing a few right things. For that he should get acknowledgement. It doesn't change the fact that, if he had done them sooner, we might actually have a shallower outbreak curve.

Yes, I do hate Trump. He is a vile man. That does not render me incapable of identifying good things when he does them (e.g., DOJ lawsuit against Gilead Sciences regarding Truvada). It also does not prevent me from calling out the amazingly common incidence of bad things. You are engaging in the genetic fallacy. The fact that I hate Trump does not render what I say about him false. You have to tackle the arguments on their merits.

Finally, I said nothing about Trump being to blame for the CDC kits, so I am unclear why you even raise this. I don't even hold the CDC to blame. As I have said in previous posts, a bad reagent is an unforeseeable happenstance that could have happened to anyone anytime.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Rogue and MM posted the links, did you not bother to read it?
                              I believe I have responded to both of them. I didn't realize you were parroting the same false information. My bad.

Comment

Has anyone else heard of millennials being more and more reported with COVID 19? I saw this on Daily Moth (news in ASL, but captioned too) today.
                                I have not seen that specifically, but I would not be surprised. As of 4:14, U.S. cases were up to 11,274, up from about 7,700 yesterday. Testing is clearly ramping up. And many young people see themselves as more invulnerable, so they are less likely to take steps to protect themselves. We've had to ask both of our sons to stop coming by because they simply dismiss this as serious in any form.

As they say...youth is wasted on the young!

Comment