Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data seems to indicate, what data is that? I'm just saying that the thing that kills the Italians at 81, is likely also killing the Americans at 76. Else, why would they be dying at 76 rather than 81?

Is the immune system of someone that's 81 worse than that of someone that's 76? Sure, it might be.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And your base assumption, that health risks are even across the population, no matter the age, is insane.
    My assumption is that your rosy outlook for the sake of political irresponsibility, is likely just that.

Comment

• Every single state is asking for help from the Federal government, and not getting it. Trump was asking for international aid a few days ago. Your private sector is so bad at providing what is needed, that the government has had to intervene. Man, you people are so delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
        Data seems to indicate, what data is that? I'm just saying that the thing that kills the Italians at 81, is likely also killing the Americans at 76. Else, why would they be dying at 76 rather than 81?

Is the immune system of someone that's 81 worse than that of someone that's 76? Sure, it might be.
        Ok, so the difference appears to be one year more rather than five, if you get to 65 in the US or Italy. Getting to 65 appears to be less likely in the US than in Italy. So fair enough.

Comment

• The right leader at the right time:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rus-decisions/

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            The right leader at the right time:

There you go. And it was already clear to me from how he has handled other issues. If he doesnt like someone, he is willing literally to pay them back by letting them die. But not even just them, literally the people in their care become pawns in his petty vengence !!!

And every single blind, idiotic supporter of this man has that very same blood on their hands because who this man is is obvious. He hides none of it.

You people know this is who this man is. And you are still willing to defend him and mock those he mocks, Will you come on this site and stand behind him in this too?.

Will you condemn the people that will not accept words like this as acceptable from the president of the US? Will you try to justify this?
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That is based on many significant assumptions. Meanwhile, experts like Dr. Birx, adviser to the President, says we're likely not heading towards a worst case scenario,

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-predictions/

I'm sorry for an optimistic outlook.
              That calculation was NOT based on a worst case scenario. Just someone infected and unaware of it until tested. However if that person went to a conference, a wedding party or any crowd gathering event, that number balloons well over 500,000 +.

I know that doesn't sit well with liberals hoping for a disaster that they can lay at the President's feet.
              Yep, Liberals with all their vast knowledge went to Wuhan, concocted to mutate a coronavirus to jump from bats to humans, with full knowledge it would eventually spread to the US and bring down Trump.

You are awarded the lifelong medal of stupidity. Congrats.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                If these reports from China are accurate, then they are as much in denial as Trump and a country with 1.433B people is very likely to see a massive pandemic hit their country. I frankly would not put it past the Chinese government to see this as a possible solution to their population problem. If it has a 1% mortality rate, that's 14.3M fewer people. And if they cut down medical care, especially to the elderly, it could be even higher. I would like to think that a people who value their heritage and ancestors would not think this way...but...
                Asian culture is really big on saving face and so it sounds completely plausible they are stopping testing in order to look better to the outside world. This way they can claim they beat the virus instead of having to admit it is out of control.
                Last edited by Sparko; 03-28-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                  That calculation was NOT based on a worst case scenario. Just someone infected and unaware of it until tested. However if that person went to a conference, a wedding party or any crowd gathering event, that number balloons well over 500,000 +.
                  In other words, a worst case scenario.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                    The right leader at the right time:

You have to admire the President's candor. He's saying what a lot of politicians think but don't have the guts to actually say. His honesty is rather disarming. You also have to admire his wisdom in putting Mike Pence, a more honorable than average politician, in charge of this task force and who the President knows is willing to go against the President's impulses.

Well done.

Comment

In other words, a worst case scenario.
                      The initial post had a potential of 15,000 cases which you misinterpreted as a worst case. A worst case scenario yields 500,000. You get a second medal of stupidity.

Comment

• Originally posted by stupid little_monkey View Post
                        The initial post had a potential of 15,000 cases which you misinterpreted as a worst case. A worst case scenario yields 500,000. You get a second medal of stupidity.
                        One person going on to infect 15,000 others in 14-days IS a worst case scenario, you dope, because the math assumes a situation where nothing is otherwise being done to check the spread of the Chinese coronavirus. Just the fact that people are even aware of it will change behaviors enough that such models become purely academic. As Dr. Birx said, we're not seeing these dire predictions play out in reality.

Look, man, it's okay to have a little optimism.

Comment

One person going on to infect 15,000 others in 14-days IS a worst case scenario, you dope, because the math assumes a situation where nothing is otherwise being done to check the spread of the Chinese coronavirus.
                          Which part of "someone infected and unaware of it until tested " don't you understand? That is NOT by any definition a worst case scenario. Someone walking randomly will infect a lot less than someone going to a conference attended by thousands.

Just the fact that people are even aware of it will change behaviors enough that such models become purely academic.
                          That's a different scenario when people are aware of what's going on, or there are provisions implemented such as social distance, self-isolation or lockdowns. Mind your apples and oranges, as my initial scenario is different than what you are suggesting.

As Dr. Birx said, we're not seeing these dire predictions play out in reality.
                          Of course it hasn't played out because authorities in different countries have implemented measures, draconian in some cases.

Look, man, it's okay to have a little optimism
                          Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. The last part is difficult if the first part isn't done properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by stupid little_monkey View Post
                            Which part of "someone infected and unaware of it until tested " don't you understand?
                            Right, and your math equation assumes that this person is able to easily interact with others who are taking no precautions to protect themselves, such as social distancing or washing their hands.

In other words, it's a worst case scenario!

Originally posted by stupid little_monkey View Post
                            That's a different scenario when people are aware of what's going on, or there are provisions implemented such as social distance, self-isolation or lockdowns. Mind your apples and oranges, as my initial scenario is different than what you are suggesting.
                            Right... because what you're suggesting is a worst case scenario!

Fortunately, there are indications that we are not headed towards a worst case scenario, so it's okay to breath a sigh of relief and sleep soundly.

Comment

Right, and your math equation assumes that this person is able to easily interact with others who are taking no precautions to protect themselves, such as social distancing or washing their hands.

In other words, it's a worst case scenario!

Here's a tidbit for you. In early January, the Chinese authorities were still playing it down that the disease wasn't serious until a banquet of 40,000 took place in Wuhan on Jan 13. Ten days later, Jan 23, Wuhan was locked from the rest of the world. That was the worst case scenario - someone infected went to that banquet, raising the numbers disproportionately. You can't compare someone infected doing his usual business with someone infected attending a large gathering. It's that simple.

Fortunately, there are indications that we are not headed towards a worst case scenario, so it's okay to breath a sigh of relief and sleep soundly
                              Hope you're right but a lot of that prevention is due to Governors who are willing to impose more drastic measures that the president.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post

Hope you're right but a lot of that prevention is due to Governors who are willing to impose more drastic measures that the president.
                                In many cases the Governors have far more power to order these measures than a President does.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment