Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You're right, now is not the time to promote unity and support your President. Good call.
    Now is not the time to blindly follow. That is how we get into trouble as a nation. Now is, more than ever, a time to hold to account and demand the best from our leaders. And we're not getting it. As with almost everything this man does, it is about him - not about the nation. Since his inauguration he has had two guiding principles: a) if you are loyal to me, I'll help you with your agenda; if you are not, I will seek vengeance, and 2) if Obama did it, I have to tear it down. The "good of the American people," while commonly in his words, is not in his actions or his attitude. If following those two principles results in a good for the American people, it is a side-effect, not an intent.

I am fairly certain I would not be saying that if Jeb Bush or John McCain or many other Republicans were sitting in that office. It's not about the party - it's about the man. That most in the Republican party sees this travesty of a human being as a "great leader" is a sad commentary on the state of the Republican party.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      OK. but I think a lot of people who are leaving don't care if they could be infected or not and might expose others, otherwise they would have stayed put. So expecting them to care after they leave is expecting a lot.
      You may have missed this: I hope anyone who can escape NYC and self-isolate in another location does so. Lot's of space up here in Vermont!
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        You may have missed this: I hope anyone who can escape NYC and self-isolate in another location does so. Lot's of space up here in Vermont!
        I saw it I am just saying that is being overly optimistic to think that will occur. Hope is always good.

Do you feel the need to repeat yourself for a third time?

Comment

• Wow - the world is now way over 500,000 cases! And the USA added more new cases today than ITALY! In fact, we are at 75,665, and Italy is only at 80,539. We will likely leapfrog China and move from 3rd to 1st in terms of nation with the most cases in just a few days.

But we are 1/7th Italy's mortality. We have 1100 deaths, they have 8215. (>10% mortality btw - it's way out of control there)

But we are now at 1.45% even with increased testing. We only have 1800 recovered, so no real visibility into final mortality yet.

German Mortality continues to rise. .55% from yesterdays .52% and the previous days .48%. If the real mortality is >1%, this is expected in a robust testing environment (which Germany is) as the disease takes less time to kill than to recover resulting in a growth rate for mortality that is ahead of the growth rate for #cases.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Wow - the world is now way over 500,000 cases! And the USA added more new cases today than ITALY! In fact, we are at 75,665, and Italy is only at 80,539. We will likely leapfrog China and move from 3rd to 1st in terms of nation with the most cases in just a few days.
            Since we've got about four and a half times their population and they've likely peaked already this is hardly a surprise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Changing up the story to avoid admitting you’re wrong. You have falsely accused me of spreading false information, when I asked for examples, you produced a list, with much having contained things I never said or even have disagreed with. Than you double down on ‘you’re downplaying!’ What have i downplayed Jim? That it’s more deadly than the flu, but less deadly than other historical plagues? Is that not true? I said the mortality rate, for children under 10, is 0%, is that not true? I said the death rate is .2% for 10-39 years old, rising after 40 and getting worse from there, Is that not true? If so, show the stats that say it. I said death rates rise based on health history, is that not true? I expressed doubt millions of Americans are going to die, if that’s wrong, show it. Thus far you have lots of hatefulness, lots of anger, lots of false accusations, tons of assumptions about the worse of your opponents, but very little fact. I know there will be no apology from you, you’re not capable of it, but others can see your false accusations laid bear.
              You simply misunderstood both my response and my original point. I never said I was listing what you did. I said quite clearly it is what we've seen here on TWEB across multiple posters. I also said - again quite clearly - that you were a PART of that general barrage of false information. Had you been reading with your head instead of your OTT emotions, you would have noticed all that and could have avoided flailing about wildly as you have the last few pages.

Perhaps it would be wise to review the pertinent posts before continuing on as you are?
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Most of what you have posted toward me in the ad-hominem category so far is so far from the truth that when/if you ever learn the actual truth about it you'll realize you have been an absolute idiot.
                Jim, you tried to handwave what they did away as unlikely or even false. That is a fact in spite of the fact that it's well documented and as time goes by was actually worse than what I initially stated. There were a LOT more of these sort of items stuffed into the bill than was first being reported.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You simply misunderstood both my response and my original point. I never said I was listing what you did. I said quite clearly it is what we've seen here on TWEB across multiple posters. I also said - again quite clearly - that you were a PART of that general barrage of false information. Had you been reading with your head instead of your OTT emotions, you would have noticed all that and could have avoided flailing about wildly as you have the last few pages.

Perhaps it would be wise to review the pertinent posts before continuing on as you are?
                  Your own words:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Wrong. I am not apologizing for calling you and others on willful ignorance. But I am sorry that I haven't figured out a way that makes the point but does not come across as a personal attack.

You and pix and others have demonstrated ignorance with regards to this pandemic that is difficult to reconcile with your demonstrated intelligence. And that is a difficult thing to observe without wanting to find some way to correct the problem.
                  Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  No pixie, your brand of ignorance caused this. The numbers have been out there for anyone to look at. The blame goes to ignorance, exactly the sort of ignorance that has been on public display on this site for years now by you and so many others. I told all of you where this was going 2 months ago. And I wasn't looking at the news. I was looking at the numbers. epidemiology is a science. And exponential curves are mathematics. The basic bits of information needed to figure this out are known by everyone with a high school biology class and High School algebra. That mean most if not all the idiots that have been playing this down for the last 2 or 3 months.

The problem is people believing the lie that the MSM is fake news. And the paranoid paralysis that has gripped the conservative members of our society towards science, even in its most basic form.

Maybe it's time to stop being ignorant boobs and following idiological morons?
                  Yep, totally misunderstood you. Try a new excuse to excuse away your false witness because gaslighting won’t work on me. Don’t worry, I know no apology will come forth, this is just to show others what they have to deal with. I said nothing that you have accused me of saying or proposing. Be a man or show you’re just like your image of Trump. Ball is in your court.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-26-2020, 01:35 PM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Since we've got about four and a half times their population and they've likely peaked already this is hardly a surprise.
                    Peaked has several meanings. Total number of cases per day? Rate of growth in number of cases per day? Rate of doubling?

We are at approximately the same number of new cases per day right now which is below the peak value, but not diminishing.

ItalyCases03262020.jpg

# deaths per day is also holding, but at very close to the peak value.

ItalyDeaths03262020.jpg

What we are seeing clearly is that the doubling times are going down. Lets hope they are truly at a peak and things will begin to improve soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Your own words:

Yep, totally misunderstood you. Try a new excuse to excuse away your false witness because gaslighting won’t work on me. Don’t worry, I know no apology will come forth, this is just to show others what they have to deal with. I said nothing that you have accused me of saying or proposing. Be a man or show you’re just like your image of Trump. Ball is in your court.
                      YEs you did pix. It's all there in black and white. My responses are completely in line with what I described, as is the text you just quoted.

Thanks for looking it up. Sorry you don't understand what it means.

Comment

YEs you did pix. It's all there in black and white. My responses are completely in line with what I described, as is the text you just quoted.

Thanks for looking it up. Sorry you don't understand what it means.

“Who will you believe, me or your lying eyes!”

Good gaslighting, come back when you decide to act like a Christian and stop with your false witness.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          Now is not the time to blindly follow. That is how we get into trouble as a nation. Now is, more than ever, a time to hold to account and demand the best from our leaders. And we're not getting it. As with almost everything this man does, it is about him - not about the nation. Since his inauguration he has had two guiding principles: a) if you are loyal to me, I'll help you with your agenda; if you are not, I will seek vengeance, and 2) if Obama did it, I have to tear it down. The "good of the American people," while commonly in his words, is not in his actions or his attitude. If following those two principles results in a good for the American people, it is a side-effect, not an intent.

I am fairly certain I would not be saying that if Jeb Bush or John McCain or many other Republicans were sitting in that office. It's not about the party - it's about the man. That most in the Republican party sees this travesty of a human being as a "great leader" is a sad commentary on the state of the Republican party.
                          Right. It's all about "Us vs. Them".
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Wow - the world is now way over 500,000 cases! And the USA added more new cases today than ITALY! In fact, we are at 75,665, and Italy is only at 80,539. We will likely leapfrog China and move from 3rd to 1st in terms of nation with the most cases in just a few days.
                            Your giddy excitement is palpable.

afb031120dAPR20200311044507.jpg
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Your giddy excitement is palpable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43577[/ATTACH]
                              I don't think it's fair to interpret that as giddy excitement. The exclamation points are, I think, just an expression of amazement (e.g., wow, the number of infected went up fast!, or some such).
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I saw it I am just saying that is being overly optimistic to think that will occur. Hope is always good.

Do you feel the need to repeat yourself for a third time?

ETA: The point, Sparko, is that you are doing what you usually do in our discussions: add something I did not put there or ignore something I did, and then respond. I did not express optimism. I did not indicate how many would actually do it, or anything else you've posted. I simply noted that anyone who CAN leave, and has a place to self isolate, I hope they do. It was, in part, a response to Seer's "I don't want them here!" attitude. I hope Vermont is a bit more welcoming and willing to be a safe harbor for those who are healthy and fleeing the apparently most infected area in the country. I'm trying to imagine Jesus saying to the leper: get away from me - you might make me sick! Somehow, it doesn't compute...
                                Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-26-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment