Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    But their total testing is more than the US, and Brazil skews the numbers a lot.
    Their total testing is actually less than the U.S., not more. However, I think their rate of testing is currently higher than the U.S. and has been for a bit. I need the data to confirm that.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]44141[/ATTACH]
      Ah - but the lot of you didn't excuse Obama's behavior, now did you? That would be what I mean by 'being held to the same standard'. What Obama literally would have been lynched for by this crowd is treated as 'no big deal' when done by Mr. Trump.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Don't ever stop.
        CP! You old reprobate! Nice to hear from you.

And I never will!

Well.. as long as I'm still breathing...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Are you wanting to be friends?
          Jim, you have a twisted understanding of what a friend is -- you seem to think a friend is somebody who never disagrees with you and is always willing to kiss your butt.

Assuming you do, understand you will not be able to count on my support when you demean others on this board.
          And there's that wonderful hypocrisy again --- as you refer to others on this board as "the peanut gallery", and call us liars.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Their total testing is actually less than the U.S., not more. However, I think their rate of testing is currently higher than the U.S. and has been for a bit. I need the data to confirm that.
            https://www.worldometers.info/corona...n=CSauthorbio?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In a similar vein, he also decided that his name had to be on all of the stimulus checks, something that is apparently unprecedented. He doesn't even have signing authority because the desire is for such payments to be nonpartisan.

This is such a blatant campaign move, it's unbelievable. I hope Americans are suitably outraged. I try to imagine the reaction from the right if Obama had done this for the 2009 stimulus and it is hard to imagine them NOT losing their minds...
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Ah - but the lot of you didn't excuse Obama's behavior, now did you? That would be what I mean by 'being held to the same standard'. What Obama literally would have been lynched for by this crowd is treated as 'no big deal' when done by Mr. Trump.
                Obama was the devil incarnate, Trump is the annointed one. To even criticize Him is a betrayal of the faith.

The question is, whether the pronoun referring to Trump out to be capitalized.

Comment

• Umm...you cannot make that claim based on the information on that page. The day-to-day testing levels can only be established by gathering the final testing levels for multiple days in a row. The data there only gives us the final numbers for yesterday and the incremental numbers for today. It is why I said "I think," and noted that I lacked the data to confirm the suspicion. I have added this to my tracking and will watch it over the next few days.

Comment

It has definitely been growing. it was below 5000/M a few weeks ago, now it is getting close to 10,000 (9864). Keeping in mind Germany sits at 20,000+, but we are creeping up on S.Korea which is only a little above us at 10,500. Clearly S.Korea is doing more than just testing.

here is a bit of an eye opener: On march 19, not quite one month ago, the USA sat at 14,372 CASES.

Today we are at 644,000+ CASES and 28,572 DEATHS. IOW, one month age we had 1/2 the number of cases as we do DEATHS today.

And the number of CASES grows by more than 2X the total number of cases on March 19 EACH DAY - 30,000+ for the last 2 weeks with one exception at 25,400

Way too early to be thinking seriously about opening things up to any significant degree.

What about Mexico and Sweden? The countries that are taking very little action to mitigate spread:

Mexico is on exponential growth with a doubling time of 7 days and nearly 6000 cases up from 1100 at the beginning of April. They have risen significantly in the ranks of infected countries. Doubling time for deaths is just 5 days. Mortality is 7.7% Interestingly, their growth is still significantly less than the US. They took 15 days to go from 1000 to 6000, in that same period the US went from 1000 to 68,000. We ramped up testing in that time, so that may account for some of it.

Sweden is on a shallower slope than Mexico, with a doubling time of 10 days, but they are at 12000+ cases with a mortality of 10.6%, which tends to indicate their case count is low. but their testing is around 7,000/M, less than our own, but not nearly enough to account for the high mortality. We do know that shallower growth tends to let deaths catch up with cases.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-16-2020, 09:06 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Umm...you cannot make that claim based on the information on that page. The day-to-day testing levels can only be established by gathering the final testing levels for multiple days in a row. The data there only gives us the final numbers for yesterday and the incremental numbers for today. It is why I said "I think," and noted that I lacked the data to confirm the suspicion. I have added this to my tracking and will watch it over the next few days.
                      I really doubt Brazil is going to perform a few hundred thousand test today.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• UK covid19 deaths in hospital currently running at 750/day. Current total 14k.

Comment

• No - but apparently some 70 million Americans will be receiving their stimulus payment as a paper check because the IRS lacks direct-deposit banking information on them. That's has now become a huge campaign ad paid for by our tax dollars and giving the incumbent a campaign edge not available to their competition. It is yet another example of Trump using the power of his office and the tools of government for personal benefit/enrichment.

Comment

No - but apparently some 70 million Americans will be receiving their stimulus payment as a paper check because the IRS lacks direct-deposit banking information on them. That's has now become a huge campaign ad paid for by our tax dollars and giving the incumbent a campaign edge not available to their competition. It is yet another example of Trump using the power of his office and the tools of government for personal benefit/enrichment.
                            And the number who will care the name written on it is...
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              And the number who will care the name written on it is...
                              Pix, if you think the combination of receiving a check in tough times for over $1,000 with the name of a candidate for the presidency clearly printed on it is not going to have any effect, then I suggest you are deluding yourself. It's a political add. It adds nothing to the value of the check and serves no purpose other than to promote Donald Trump to the recipients. I also suspect, but cannot prove, that if Obama had done this in 2009, you (and others on the right) would have been outraged at his abuse of his powers and government resources to promote his campaign for re-election.

Comment

Jim, you have a twisted understanding of what a friend is -- you seem to think a friend is somebody who never disagrees with you and is always willing to kiss your butt.
                                CP, there is a difference between disagreeing with someone on substance and refusing any discussion of substance and instead substituting name calling and degrading comments. You engage primarily in the latter.

And, Yes, I would expect my friends to not be calling me names or publicly deriding my character - at least not every other day (or more). Most people don't call people that continuously express disgust with their every word 'friends'. Perhaps you do - but the evidence seen on this site is that you don't either.

And there's that wonderful hypocrisy again --- as you refer to others on this board as "the peanut gallery", and call us liars.
                                You actually have a twisted perspective on my posts CP - pretty much way over the top in terms of what is actually said on a daily or weekly basis. My observations is that your sensitivity on incoming is about 10x (or more) your empathy on the outgoing.

Comment