Page 2 of 255 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We're really not getting any clear information about this. I've heard so many different things that it's hard to pin down the truth.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

2. Amen Sparko, MaxVel, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    We're really not getting any clear information about this. I've heard so many different things that it's hard to pin down the truth.
    It's because nobody really has enough data yet and we really can't trust what the Chinese are telling us. So it's mostly guesswork from the CDC and rumor-mongering by the MSM. And I think it is starting to be politically weaponized. I think the left actually welcomes it because it weakens Trump's economy, so they are upping the fear-factor to create panic and crash the stock market.

4. Amen NorrinRadd, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It's because nobody really has enough data yet and we really can't trust what the Chinese are telling us. So it's mostly guesswork from the CDC and rumor-mongering by the MSM. And I think it is starting to be politically weaponized. I think the left actually welcomes it because it weakens Trump's economy, so they are upping the fear-factor to create panic and crash the stock market.
    Yep. The White House response has been "Don't panic. We have everything under control." Then Rosenstein's sister at the CDC holds a press conference call to delivery a contradictory statement. Guess which one the media has run with?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yep. The White House response has been "Don't panic. We have everything under control." Then Rosenstein's sister at the CDC holds a press conference call to delivery a contradictory statement. Guess which one the media has run with?
    I think they are both wrong. It is going to get out, but it won't be as bad as everyone is claiming.

7. Amen NorrinRadd, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I don't see how this can hurt Trump. Any market/economic downturn from now to the election he can scapegoat something that was totally out of his control.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not particularly concerned at this moment. The media is hyping it, and it is a bit severe, but the common flu kills more people each year.

10. Amen mossrose, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    I don't see how this can hurt Trump. Any market/economic downturn from now to the election he can scapegoat something that was totally out of his control.
    Democrats are already ratcheting up their "Trump didn't do enough to stop the virus" narrative.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Wednesday accused the Trump administration of responding “too late” to halt the possible spread of China’s deadly coronavirus in the United States.

“This is shameful,” Pelosi told reporters on Capitol Hill when asked about the administration sending a $2.5 billion supplemental budget request to combat the illness. “He puts forth a proposal now that is meager, anemic in terms of addressing this. Ebola, we did $5 billion. And now they’re trying to take the Ebola money and spend it here.”

“What he’s doing is late, too late, anemic,” she added. “Hopefully, we can make up for the loss of time but we have to have professionals in place, resources that are adequate and not use scare tactics about people coming back to our country.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-is-too-late/

So Trump isn't doing enough. But if he suggests closing the border, it's just a "scare tactic". Gotta love Democrat logic.

12. Amen NorrinRadd, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Democrats are already ratcheting up their "Trump didn't do enough to stop the virus" narrative.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Wednesday accused the Trump administration of responding “too late” to halt the possible spread of China’s deadly coronavirus in the United States.

“This is shameful,” Pelosi told reporters on Capitol Hill when asked about the administration sending a $2.5 billion supplemental budget request to combat the illness. “He puts forth a proposal now that is meager, anemic in terms of addressing this. Ebola, we did $5 billion. And now they’re trying to take the Ebola money and spend it here.”

“What he’s doing is late, too late, anemic,” she added. “Hopefully, we can make up for the loss of time but we have to have professionals in place, resources that are adequate and not use scare tactics about people coming back to our country.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-is-too-late/

So Trump isn't doing enough. But if he suggests closing the border, it's just a "scare tactic". Gotta love Democrat logic.
    Well, yeah, that's what they do.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm not particularly concerned at this moment. The media is hyping it, and it is a bit severe, but the common flu kills more people each year.
    Yeah, but the overall mortality rate for Covid-19 appears to be around 1.5 % (flu is about 0.1%, I think). So if we see high numbers of people being infected (like get the flu each year) then we will see a lot more deaths from Covid-19 than the flu. Especially in the over 80 age group, where mortality looks to be about 15%.

Of course, it's hard to know how accurate figures are, given the lack of transparency from China, and aspects like the long incubation time / symptomless cases in some people, difficulty of diagnosis, etc, so it could be lower than that (i.e. a lot of people infected that are undiagnosed and don't die). I expect mortality rates are going to be higher in areas with large numbers of cases as treatment facilities get overwhelmed and can't help everyone who needs it.

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks. There are cases in the city I live near to, I'm planning for the possibility of spending some significant time 'confined to quarters'. I'd recommend everyone make some planning now for that possibility - lay in some non-perishable food, drinking water, stock up on medications etc. There is the possibility of supply-chain disruptions, panic buying, business closures etc even if ultimately the virus doesn't prove to be as bad as currently feared.

Also: Read Psalm 91 , and put verse 14 in to practice.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

15. Amen Darfius amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm no epidemiologist, but isn't it kind of silly making comparisons to the common flu when A) we don't have accurate data on the coronavirus, and B) the data we do have has only been collected for 2 months it's been around? If you gave the common flu just 2 months to spread, would it spread as fast and be as deadly?