Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Should people be permitted to do dangerous things if they think it is not dangerous?
    Should posters be allowed to ask questions that are based on a strawman of others positions?
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      Should posters be allowed to ask questions that are based on a strawman of others positions?
      The question goes to a point, that we do try to prevent people from doing dangerous actions, or actions which are harmful. It is not based on a straw position at all. I know it is bad form to draw out a Christian to make him think about his position.

There is a famous argument, that one ought not shoot into a thicket while hunting unless he is sure it is a deer and not a person, and that is applied to abortion, if one is not really sure that the fetus is a person, one should not just kill the fetus. And in this case, the person touched microphones to make a point.

Then again, maybe the analogy ought not be used for abortion, though I think it a brings in a valid point. And maybe it ought not be used for touching microphones to make a point about the disease.

Comment

Should people be permitted to do dangerous things if they think it is not dangerous?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
          Trump, Breitbart and Fox News are not good information.
          In fact, they are excellent sources of information, but they're not the only sources I read. You see, unlike you, I don't live in a partisan bubble.

In other news, President Trump continues to enact new travel bans to protect the country while the Democrats are fighting like mad to stop him with new legislation designed to curtail the president's authority to enact travel bans.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...on-china-iran/

It's almost like the Democrats don't want the Trump administration to successfully manage this situation. Now why would they do that?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• But is 'permitted' the same as 'right'?

Comment

The question goes to a point,
              One which has nothing to do with the discussion I was having, and one that is irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Start your own thread if you want to discuss it.

Originally posted by simplicio
              that we do try to prevent people from doing dangerous actions, or actions which are harmful. It is not based on a straw position at all. I know it is bad form to draw out a Christian to make him think about his position.
              It's bad form to insult people you are purportedly trying to have a conversation with. It's also a form of trolling.

Originally posted by simplicio

There is a famous argument, that one ought not shoot into a thicket while hunting unless he is sure it is a deer and not a person, and that is applied to abortion, if one is not really sure that the fetus is a person, one should not just kill the fetus. And in this case, the person touched microphones to make a point.

Then again, maybe the analogy ought not be used for abortion, though I think it a brings in a valid point. And maybe it ought not be used for touching microphones to make a point about the disease.

Whatever.

Got anything relevant to the topic, anything actually about coronavirus and the pandemic? Post that, or shut up.

Comment

But is 'permitted' the same as 'right'?
                That's neither what you asked, nor what you implied with your previous question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  That's neither what you asked, nor what you implied with your previous question.
                  But the answer(s) to the question place very different slant on the answers over the last dozen or so posts on the topic of the basketball players actions.

My original question was about whether we ought to allow dangerous actions if the person assumes they are not dangerous, which was a point Maxvel included.
                  Last edited by simplicio; 03-12-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

But the answer(s) to the question place very different slant on the answers over the last dozen or so posts on the topic of the basketball players actions.

My original question was about whether we ought to allow dangerous actions if the person assumes they are not dangerous, which was a point Maxvel included.
                    That's quite clearly a misrepresentation of what I said. Which is why I am not interested in interacting with you and your odd obsessions. Go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                      That's quite clearly a misrepresentation of what I said. Which is why I am not interested in interacting with you and your odd obsessions. Go away.
                      You most certainly raised the point of the potentially dangerous action that the person did not recognize the danger, post #329. (Gobert touching microphones, someone even noted that he ought to be arrested, bringing in the question of whether it was "wrong") However you did not really extend that thought as to right or wrong actions.

My first question asked under what conditions we should allow wrong actions, the second asked whether permitted was the same as "right", and in between the two I noted an analogy used for abortion which is raises some points pertinent to this discussion.

Comment

But is 'permitted' the same as 'right'?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You most certainly raised the point of the potentially dangerous action that the person did not recognize the danger, post #329. (Gobert touching microphones, someone even noted that he ought to be arrested, bringing in the question of whether it was "wrong") However you did not really extend that thought as to right or wrong actions.

My first question asked under what conditions we should allow wrong actions, the second asked whether permitted was the same as "right", and in between the two I noted an analogy used for abortion which is raises some points pertinent to this discussion.
                          What has all this got to do with the coronavirus pandemic? Nothing.

It's a tangent to a tangent in the context of this thread, and I have no interest in discussing it. You've grabbed on to your interpretation of a minor comment and want to drag the discussion away to that. Start your own thread on it, if you want to talk about it.

Comment

• Democrats are saying that Trump's address to the nation last night was helpful, but they're still criticizing him for not doing more sooner. What, like ban travel from China in January which the Democrats blasted as "racist"? Even now you have CNN commentators claiming that Trump correctly identifying the virus as coming from China is "xenophobic", and other outlets are decrying him for referring to it, again correctly, as a "foreign virus" (and this despite the fact that those same outlets, for weeks, were referring to it as "Wuhan virus" and "Chinese coronavirus"). And this is on top of the Democrats trying to pass legislation to stop Trump being able to enact travel bans.

What is wrong with these people?
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-12-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You see, unlike you, I don't live in a partisan bubble.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...on-china-iran/

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                It would help if you demonstrated how the source is wrong. Or is that asking too much from you?

Comment