Page 3 of 250 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Trump’s flailing incompetence makes coronavirus even scarier: America’s pandemic response capabilities have been systematically dismantled:

In 2005, during the H1N5 bird flu scare, the US Agency for International Development ran a program called Predict to identify and research infectious diseases in animal populations in the developing world. Most new viruses that impact humans — apparently including the one causing the Covid-19 disease — emerge through this route, so investing in early research is the kind of thing that, at modest ongoing cost, served to reduce the likelihood of rare but catastrophic events.

The program was initiated under George W. Bush and continued through Barack Obama’s eight years in office; then, last fall the Trump administration shut it down.

That’s part of a broader pattern of actual and potential Trump efforts to shut down America’s ability to respond to pandemic disease.

• Trump’s first budget proposal contained proposed cuts to the CDC that former Director Tom Frieden warned were “unsafe at any level of enactment.”

• Congress mercifully didn’t agree to any such cuts, but as recently as February 11 — in the midst of the outbreak — Trump proposed huge cuts to both the CDC and the National Institutes of Health.

• Perhaps because his budget officials were in the middle of proposing cuts to disease response, it’s only over this past weekend that they pivoted and started getting ready to ask for the additional money that coping with Covid-19 is clearly going to cost. But experts say they’re still lowballing it.

• In early 2018, my colleague Julia Belluz argued that Trump was “setting up the US to botch a pandemic response” by, for example, forcing US government agencies to retreat from 39 of the 49 low-income countries they were working in on tasks like training disease detectives and building emergency operations centers.

• Instead of taking such warnings to heart, later that year, “the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure,” according to Laurie Garrett, a journalist and former senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?
    Who knows? Preventing panic is the main thing.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I feel sorry for Pence.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So Trump isn't doing enough. But if he suggests closing the border, it's just a "scare tactic". Gotta love Democrat logic.
    Trump has done too much. Steps that were put in place by Obama after the Ebola outbreak were scrapped by Trump. And the post of global health czar was eliminated and CDC funding cut.

All done by Trump.

"US preparedness to deal with the threat of corona-virus has been hampered by the personnel and budget cuts made by the Trump administration over the past three years, according to health experts.

There is no one in the White House tasked specifically to oversee a coordinated government-wide response in the event of a pandemic, since the post of senior director for global health security and bio-threats on the national security council (NSC) was eliminated last May".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-underprepared
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Who knows? Preventing panic is the main thing.
    And along come the liberals screaming, "We're all going to die! And it's all Trump's fault!"
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    I feel sorry for Pence.
    Are you going put this remark into context?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And along come the liberals screaming, "We're all going to die! And it's all Trump's fault!"
    It works in CDC's best interest to milk it for all its worth. Thanks to SL's post, which I didn't know, this would give them even more of an incentive to hype it. Conservatives are saying the head of CDC is part of the anti-Trump resistance, thus is trying to make Trump look bad. I think the conspiracy is just greed. Another government bureaucrat seeking an opportunity to increase their budget.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    To answer OP's question, it's too late to contain the spread of the virus because contrary to ignorant claims made in this thread, the media downplayed the threat ("it's not as bad as the flu") until the truth was no longer possible to hide and the government is making active attempts to spread the virus by housing the infected at a former residential center for the mentally disabled (rather than a facility equipped to quarantine a level 3 or 4 biosafety hazard).

This is not the flu. The flu doesn't make people pass out in the streets, a claim proven by so many viral videos coming out of China, Iran and South Korea that not even snopes--that purveyor of disinformation--can outright deny it.

This virus is going to at the very least cause a global recession, but if you've been paying attention to the over 700 million Chinese people forcibly quarantined for a month and running with empty streets and shut down factories, it will likely be worse. The amount of American medication, electronics and machine parts the Chinese supply is staggering and they've been at a standstill for far longer than an interconnected global system can absorb.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I feel sorry for Pence.
    Hey at least he can talk clearly. I thought Trump's speech last night was horrible. He just kept repeating himself and didn't seem to know what to say. Didn't inspire any confidence in me at all. At least he had the sense to let other people speak.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It works in CDC's best interest to milk it for all its worth. Thanks to SL's post, which I didn't know, this would give them even more of an incentive to hype it. Conservatives are saying the head of CDC is part of the anti-Trump resistance, thus is trying to make Trump look bad. I think the conspiracy is just greed. Another government bureaucrat seeking an opportunity to increase their budget.
    The CDC was perfectly correct in what it said, which is that a community spread of the coronavirus is most likely to happen, and these are likely measures that business and schools should prepare to carry out. Many developed countries around the world are a) not able to prevent community spread and b) enacting similar measures. Maxvel is reasoning along the same lines at his own individual level.

It's simply a sober judgment.
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 02-27-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

13. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.