Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source: https://www.npr.org/2020/12/10/945137222/newly-sworn-in-n-h-gop-house-speaker-dies-of-covid-19-autopsy-shows

Newly Sworn-In GOP N.H. House Speaker Dies Of COVID-19, Autopsy Shows

Rep. Dick Hinch, a Republican who was elected speaker of the New Hampshire House just one week ago, died of COVID-19 on Wednesday. This comes about a month before the state legislature, the largest in the U.S., is expected to convene in Concord for its regularly scheduled annual session.

The state's attorney general, Gordon MacDonald, announced the cause of death Thursday afternoon with the consent of Hinch's family, following an autopsy by New Hampshire Chief Medical Examiner Jennie Duval.

Hinch, who was 71 and from Merrimack, was poised to lead his party in the state's House of Representatives. New Hampshire Republicans gained control of both the House and the state Senate from Democrats in elections last month.

Hinch was formally elected House speaker on Dec. 2 at an outdoor session held on an athletic field at the University of New Hampshire because of coronavirus concerns. Earlier that same week, several Republican House members were confirmed to have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending an indoor GOP caucus meeting.

Since then, a member of Gov. Chris Sununu's staff and an employee in the House speaker's office have also tested positive, according to announcements from each office. At the time the legislative staffer's diagnosis was announced, the House speaker's office said: "no legislators were identified as close contacts."

"All staff identified as possible close contacts have been notified and asked to quarantine out of an abundance of caution," the office said in a statement at the time.

After state officials confirmed that COVID-19 caused Hinch's death, acting Speaker Sherman Packard and Senate President Chuck Morse said they plan to consult with state health officials and other authorities about "any additional, specific steps we should take, beyond our on-going COVID-19 protocols and contact tracing, to ensure the continued protection of our legislators and staff."

"As legislative leaders, we are committed to protecting the health and safety of our fellow legislators and staff members who work at the statehouse in Concord," Packard and Morse said in a joint statement. "It is our responsibility to ensure COVID-19 incident notification and transparency. These are responsibilities that we take extremely seriously."

Before becoming House speaker, Hinch served as House majority leader from 2015 to 2018.

In his speech to fellow lawmakers upon being named speaker, he invoked a bipartisan tone.

"I ask each of you to not look at each other as Republicans and Democrats, but as friends and colleagues, working towards the same goal," Hinch said. "Our methods to get there and what we envision as a better New Hampshire may be different, but at the end of the day, please remember that we have a responsibility to respect each other and understand each other, that we are all here to make a positive difference in our communities and our state."

Packard, who was appointed Hinch's deputy, will serve as acting speaker until the full House can vote to name Hinch's successor. The House is scheduled to meet again on Jan. 6.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      why is the vaccine unsafe?
      As far as the trials involving tens of thousands of volunteers the now approved the Pfizer vaccine as safe and will begin to be available soon..The other vaccine by Moderna will be approved soon.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        why is the vaccine unsafe?
        He is concerned that in the short term, it could cause antibodies to attack healthy cells, and in the longer term -- the time when the antibodies have dissipated but "killer leucocytes" remain -- exposure to the virus could trigger dangerous hyper-immune reactions.

He believe the former *could* explain the commonly observed side-effects, while the latter would not be observed until several months later, longer than the duration of the trials.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

He is concerned that in the short term, it could cause antibodies to attack healthy cells, and in the longer term -- the time when the antibodies have dissipated but "killer leucocytes" remain -- exposure to the virus could trigger dangerous hyper-immune reactions.

He believe the former *could* explain the commonly observed side-effects, while the latter would not be observed until several months later, longer than the duration of the trials.
          The history and research for ALL vaccines have documented this is the case for complications of a small amount of people who take vaccines for any virus related disease. Yes it is a possibility, but the alternative is catastrophic.

Frank

Comment

• Laura Ingraham interviews Drs. Risch and Oskoui.

Maybe better video quality at Yahoo.

Summary:

Risch -- Authorities demand "Go home, stay home, and if you can't breathe, THEN go to the hospital. ... That's not a form of treatment, that's what we call 'therapeutic nihilism.'" Doesn't work. Makes people too sick to be treated effectively. FDA, NIH, CDC all corrupted. Have misstated and misrepresented both the benefits and the (relative lack of) risks of the (unnamed -- presumably HCQ and Ivermectin) drugs. Poorer countries are using them effectively -- FIVE TIMES lower mortality than we have -- because using those cheap drugs is all they can afford to do.

ND, SD, IA approaching herd immunity.

Oskoui -- Masks relatively ineffective according to peer-reviewed literature. Mt. Sinai Paris Island study of Marines; Danish mask study in Annals of Internal Medicine; Cochrane analysis; May CDC Guidance on Non-pharmacological measures.

Believes possible role of oral-fecal spread is being neglected; Oxford University Center for Evidence-Based Medicine white paper.

--------------------------------

(I have not yet tried to verify Dr. Oskoui's citations. Honestly, when I have done so in the past, I have not always found his conclusions warranted.)
            Last edited by NorrinRadd; 12-16-2020, 02:44 AM.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Linear versus exponential growth:

A more transmissible variant of COVID-19 is a potential catastrophe in and of itself. If anything, given the stage in the pandemic we are at, a more transmissible variant is in some ways much more dangerous than a more severe variant. That’s because higher transmissibility subjects us to a more contagious virus spreading with exponential growth, whereas the risk from increased severity would have increased in a linear manner, affecting only those infected.

Increased transmissibility can wreak havoc in a very, very short time—especially when we already have uncontrolled spread in much of the United States. The short-term implications of all this are significant, and worthy of attention, even as we await more clarity from data. In fact, we should act quickly especially as we await more clarity—lack of data and the threat of even faster exponential growth argue for more urgency of action. If and when more reassuring data come in, relaxing restrictions will be easier than undoing the damage done by not having reacted in time.

“I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• A new strain first detected in South Africa is going gangbusters.

Its rise has led to dozens of countries imposing bans on travelers who recently have been in South Africa, including the United States.On Thursday, officials in South Carolina announced the discovery of two cases of the variant from South Africa, the first in the United States. The cases were in people with no history of travel to South Africa, which the officials said implied that community spread of the variant was already underway.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment