Page 67 of 388 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 3871

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak...

  1. #661
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,849
    Amen (Given)
    5497
    Amen (Received)
    23662
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If that were true, what has happened in italy simply would not be happening. You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system.
    Mortality isn't the same as being sick enough to be in the hospital and tying up resources.

  2. #662
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Wow...I didn't get THAT from any of the posts I read. I definitely missed the mark...
    Back at the start of this exchange, Pixie criticized wiping down shopping carts without gloves or mask. Reducing the germ load is possible without a mask or gloves, which is one goal of wiping down. And another goal which I did not bring up is the behavioral symbolism of wiping down surfaces, which cannot be ignored since it is significant. Shopping carts cannot be reasonably disinfected, sanitization is the goal. Army doctrine distinguished between sanitization and disinfecting when it comes to bio agents, bioweapons and normal disease agents in both combat and health care. (military portable hospitals are not designed for dealing with infectious diseases, rather battlefield traumas. Which is why soldiers are moved out as quickly as possible)

    My point is that each task in health care has an appropriate level protective gear, which parallels Army SOPs. Hospitals battled ubiquitous bugs like orsa and mersa, dangerous bugs like the flesh eating staph, etc. Seldom was full gear used. Hospitals have varying levels which are considered essential for the task (and I note that it has been less than a generation since gloves have been used for all contact with patients).

    CDC knows what they are doing (I hope). If not, there are countless nursing and medical professionals out there. And they have thought through these things, and the information is out there.

  3. #663
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,432
    Amen (Given)
    692
    Amen (Received)
    1996
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Mortality isn't the same as being sick enough to be in the hospital and tying up resources.
    True, but somewher around 50% of those that end up in The ICU with this die. Given that, my statement stands.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  4. #664
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,432
    Amen (Given)
    692
    Amen (Received)
    1996
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Back at the start of this exchange, Pixie criticized wiping down shopping carts without gloves or mask. Reducing the germ load is possible without a mask or gloves, which is one goal of wiping down. And another goal which I did not bring up is the behavioral symbolism of wiping down surfaces, which cannot be ignored since it is significant. Shopping carts cannot be reasonably disinfected, sanitization is the goal. Army doctrine distinguished between sanitization and disinfecting when it comes to bio agents, bioweapons and normal disease agents in both combat and health care. (military portable hospitals are not designed for dealing with infectious diseases, rather battlefield traumas. Which is why soldiers are moved out as quickly as possible)

    My point is that each task in health care has an appropriate level protective gear, which parallels Army SOPs. Hospitals battled ubiquitous bugs like orsa and mersa, dangerous bugs like the flesh eating staph, etc. Seldom was full gear used. Hospitals have varying levels which are considered essential for the task (and I note that it has been less than a generation since gloves have been used for all contact with patients).

    CDC knows what they are doing (I hope). If not, there are countless nursing and medical professionals out there. And they have thought through these things, and the information is out there.
    Wiping down surfaces does in fact reduce or eliminate any virus or bacteria not being brought into the environment by the person doing the wiping - which is the point of doing it to a grocery cart that was just selected to use in the store
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  5. #665
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,039
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post

    There are countries with very low mortality. Russia, interestingly, with only 93 cases, has reported 0 deaths so far.
    They are speed building their second 500 beds hospital. The virus probably works the same in Russia as anywhere else. Maybe their figures are out of date.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  6. #666
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,849
    Amen (Given)
    5497
    Amen (Received)
    23662
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    True, but somewher around 50% of those that end up in The ICU with this die. Given that, my statement stands.
    I don't think that is true. Where do you get that number? Also not everyone in the hospital ends up in the ICU. But they still clog up the healthcare system, such as tying up doctors and nurses, hospital beds, equipment, etc.
    Last edited by Sparko; 03-17-2020 at 12:36 PM.

  7. #667
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,273
    Amen (Given)
    172
    Amen (Received)
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If that were true, what has happened in italy simply would not be happening. You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system.
    Most people who die from the flu don't die in ICU and tie up critical resources. In Italy everyone with potential kung flu and serious symptoms are tying up resources.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

  8. #668
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,162
    Amen (Given)
    6589
    Amen (Received)
    8092
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    If that were true, what has happened in italy simply would not be happening. You're quoting a mortality rate 1/10 that of the flu. It would be impossible for a disease with such a low mortality rate to overwhelm any modern medical system.
    How many people are rushing to the hospital and demanding unnecessary testing and treatment because they have a cough and are now convinced they're going to die because of the media's fearmongering, but in reality would recover quite well at home with a little rest and chicken soup? That will clog up the healthcare system just as readily as legitimate serious cases.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  9. #669
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,150
    Amen (Given)
    1
    Amen (Received)
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Wiping down surfaces does in fact reduce or eliminate any virus or bacteria not being brought into the environment by the person doing the wiping - which is the point of doing it to a grocery cart that was just selected to use in the store
    As a practical matter, it merely reduces the number, it is not practical to nearly eliminate the virus load on the cart with a quick wipe down. Disinfecting a cart is impractical, the contact of the ungloved hand or breathing of the employee will only impart relatively few viruses.

    It is the equivalent of reducing grime, which is effective in partially sanitizing equipment, and gloves and mask will make for little difference. So the employee was doing okay without the extra equipment.

  10. #670
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,398
    Amen (Given)
    1219
    Amen (Received)
    21648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    How man people are rushing to the hospital and demanding unnecessary testing and treatment because they have a cough and are now convinced they're going to die because of the media's fearmongering, but in reality would recover quite well at home with a little rest and chicken soup? That will clog up the healthcare system just as readily as legitimate serious cases.
    Given that we are just entering allergy season around here and often see pollen counts in five digits (when anything over 1000 is considered very high)[1], hospitals are expecting that a lot of people will flood hospitals thinking they have the coronavirus when it's an allergy even though they've gone through this every year.



    1. The price we pay for being in many ways a "forest city."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •