Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Ummm....that wasn't a "fact check." It was a commentary on the number in the "joke." Many people do not appreciate that a 99.5% survival rate is a 0.5% morality rate, which is five people out of every 1000 or 1 out of every 200. When you translate those numbers to the population of the U.S., even at a 25% infection rate, the number of deaths is significant. In other words, the "joke" hides a grim truth. That was the point of the post - not a fact check.
    Like I said, for some inexplicable reason you felt compelled to "fact check" an obvious joke.

(For the record, the number in the image wasn't meant to be accurate or taken seriously.)
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That wasn't a joke, Sparko. It was an observation that the comments of the young that were cited were likely to be somewhat prophetic. It is a grim reality that even the worst situation will have some tangential benefits. That doesn't mean I am hoping for the cataclysm to obtain those benefits. It merely means I am noting their probability.

Frankly, I am IN that higher-risk population. If I get this, at 60+ and with a compromised set of lungs, my probability of succumbing to the virus is not trivial.
      Pray you stay well then. Will you need yo stay in your house til this gets better?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Like I said, for some inexplicable reason you felt compelled to "fact check" an obvious joke.

(For the record, the number in the image wasn't meant to be accurate or taken seriously.)
        I don't believe I said it was intended to be taken seriously. I pointed out that the number, couched as a joke, hides a grim truth. In other words - if people truly thought about that number, they would realize that the "joke" is not very funny.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The fact of hyper-escalating news stories is not limited to any one side of the political divide. It is a function of 24-hour news cycles and the need for these stations to show a profit and maintain an audience. Fox does it. CNN does it. Heck, the Weather Channel does it. We the people reward this behavior with our viewership - so we essentially reap what we sow.
          And how much has the media spent time pointing fingers vs figuring their fear stroking is why not everyone is listening? You go out of your way to blame Trump, but seem to have forgotten this little detail. Why?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Pray you stay well then. Will you need yo stay in your house til this gets better?
            We are largely self-quarantining. My wife is a massage therapist for a local hotel and I am substitute teaching for a local school system. We have withdrawn from both activities (both summarily shut down anyway). We have adequate supplies here for at least two weeks, and I have just secured the ingredients for home-made hand sanitizer. We are limiting excursions to the absolutely necessary and the charitable. I am still giving platelets biweekly because the need is so great. My wife and I will help with a few others in the community kitchen preparing meals for the families that depended on school meals - but all of us are self-quarantining so we think the probability of exposure is small. Other than that, reading, writing, and working around the house.

And we've decided to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe in timeline order!
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

We are largely self-quarantining. My wife is a massage therapist for a local hotel and I am substitute teaching for a local school system. We have withdrawn from both activities (both summarily shut down anyway). We have adequate supplies here for at least two weeks, and I have just secured the ingredients for home-made hand sanitizer. We are limiting excursions to the absolutely necessary and the charitable. I am still giving platelets biweekly because the need is so great. My wife and I will help with a few others in the community kitchen preparing meals for the families that depended on school meals - but all of us are self-quarantining so we think the probability of exposure is small. Other than that, reading, writing, and working around the house.

And we've decided to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe in timeline order!
              Not everyone has those options available to them.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                And how much has the media spent time pointing fingers vs figuring their fear stroking is why not everyone is listening? You go out of your way to blame Trump, but seem to have forgotten this little detail. Why?
                The media is giving its audience what the audience is demanding. We need look no further than ourselves for the cause of the current situation. This is what turning news into a profit-based system ultimately produced. Trump knows that - being essentially a media savant - and is using that dynamic to further his narcissistic agenda.

IMO, Trump is one of the greatest threats our democracy has ever faced. He is the embodiment of what the founding fathers most feared when they constructed the framework for this country. Thus far, our institutions have been resilient enough to contain him - but I suspect it will be decades before we recover from the harm he has done.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Not everyone has those options available to them.
                  This is true. We are fortunate - but also worked pretty hard all of our lives to make those options possible. Still, with millions in our country unable to put together $400 to deal with a surprise expense, and the damage our economy is about to see, especially in the service sector, a lot of people are going to be in a very tough place.

Comment

The media is giving its audience what the audience is demanding. We need look no further than ourselves for the cause of the current situation. This is what turning news into a profit-based system ultimately produced. Trump knows that - being essentially a media savant - and is using that dynamic to further his narcissistic agenda.
                    Case in point:

IMO, Trump is one of the greatest threats our democracy has ever faced. He is the embodiment of what the founding fathers most feared when they constructed the framework for this country. Thus far, our institutions have been resilient enough to contain him - but I suspect it will be decades before we recover from the harm he has done.
                    You can’t even see the fear mongering in yourself and yet you try to lecture others about the very thing you are doing and are totally blind to your own hypocrisy! Unbelievable, hope those deaths were worth it because doom and gloom hasn’t happened because Trump is president, but crying wolf might do the trick.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                      I'm a medical hospital doctor in the UK. I've seen the stats, the patterns, and most of all the individual reports of what is going on in the hospitals of Italy and elsewhere in Europe.

This is not the flu. This is not being blown out of proportion by the media. This is something that, no matter what we do, will kill thousands as the numbers of cases rise exponentially, and overwhelm pretty much any health service.
                      Do you not have any common sense left? You know as well as I do that the flu kills more than thousands, and would otherwise overwhelm the health service, but for the fact that people are not encouraged to panic into the hospitals and overwhelm them with flu cases.

In effect, society triages flu patients to prevent overload of the health service. Society much prefers that thousands of people die of the flu at home without any treatment.

Italy's mistake is panicking the elderly and thereby absolutely overwhelming the hospitals with both coronavirus patients, flu patients, and more. If they didn't it would still be manageable. Now thousands are going to die anyway, but with addition of having larger numbers of people gathering in hospitals which increases risk of spread, and having to turn away people.
                      Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-16-2020, 12:55 PM.
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

This is true. We are fortunate - but also worked pretty hard all of our lives to make those options possible. Still, with millions in our country unable to put together $400 to deal with a surprise expense, and the damage our economy is about to see, especially in the service sector, a lot of people are going to be in a very tough place.
                        Or those with jobs unable to call in and not be present, for two weeks.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• The reality

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          In effect, society triages flu patients to prevent overload of the health service. Society much prefers that thousands of people die of the flu at home without any treatment.
                          Society much prefers that coronavirus patients die at home. Actual triage will mean many are turned back home anyway.

Make peace with God, and always be prepared to die.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I don't believe I said it was intended to be taken seriously. I pointed out that the number, couched as a joke, hides a grim truth.
                            It doesn't hide any truth, because the number was not intended to be accurate or taken seriously.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                              Italy's mistake is panicking the elderly and thereby absolutely overwhelming the hospitals with both coronavirus patients, flu patients, and more. If they didn't it would still be manageable.
                              I stand corrected. Please feel free to come into my hospital this week, stand in the receiving unit and tell everyone loudly that all this panic is pointless, the doctors really are being awfully silly about it, and the 80-year olds who have pneumonia (with a 15% chance of dying) are being foolish attention-seekers who should just go home to die there.
                              ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                                Okay. Did DeWine make a reasonable call?

Just what is the threshold at which it should be treated as a dangerous disease? Is 37 too low or not?
                                Personally I can't fault them although I feel sorry for the restaurant workers, most of who don't have much savings to rely on while they're out of work. It seems wise to try to get ahead of the curve than to wait until it really doesn't help.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment