Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Test, Don't Tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    One month ago

Demi: fatality rate is yugely estimated, the actual rate is about 0.01%
    people: but demi you are not expert how can you

Yesterday
    so then why are Italy's hospitals being overwhelmed and they have a lack of respirators if this is 1/10th as deadly as the flu? The flu never used up all the repirators in Italy before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so then why are Italy's hospitals being overwhelmed and they have a lack of respirators if this is 1/10th as deadly as the flu? The flu never used up all the repirators in Italy before.
      That's because many serious cases of the flu, if not most, remain at home and don't tie up hospital resources. Most people who die of flu die at home, and the medical establishment does not try to save them otherwise the hospitals would be overwhelmed.

This is the sixth time I've explained this.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

That's because many serious cases of the flu, if not most, remain at home and don't tie up hospital resources. Most people who die of flu die at home, and the medical establishment does not try to save them otherwise the hospitals would be overwhelmed.

That's what you think but it's not true. Most people who get that sick with the flu go to the hospital or at least see a doctor who would hospitalize them. Have you ever been that sick? I have. Just last year. I nearly had to go to the hospital. I went to my doctor who prescribed some heavy duty antibiotics because I got pneumonia from it, and some codeine cough syrup. I had to check in every other day. She told me if it got any worse to call an ambulance.

The flu only kills maybe one in a thousand, less if they are young and healthy. And it spreads slowly. This one spreads quickly and hits hard on the elderly and infirm. That is why Italy was overwhelmed. In the time that the flu would be putting on it's boots, coronavirus went around the world. Even if the overall death rate is no higher than the flu, the sheer numbers who are ill all at the same time is what is overwhelming the hospitals.

Comment

John Ioannidis:

Ioannidis said in the YouTube video that he's collaborating with scientists "leading the Italian response" to the pandemic.

He proposed multiple explanations for the large number of fatalities in that country.

First is demographics: Italy has the oldest population in Europe. The average age of death from COVID-19 in Italy is 81.

"Also, most of these people have lots of other underlying diseases," Ioannidis said in the video. "Italy is a country with a very strong history of smoking.

"It has very high rates, therefore, of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It has very high rates of coronary heart disease. And these are very strong risk factors for having a bad outcome in this infection."

Ioannidis then delivered this provocative statement: "It still remains to be decided how many of these infections are deaths with SARS-CoV-2 versus deaths by SARS-CoV-2."

Next, he noted that Italy has a "relatively low number" of intensive-care beds per population, only about one-third per population of the number in the United States.

The Italian health-care system runs at near full capacity in most winters.

According to Ioannidis, this means that if a little bit more capacity is added, "it can very easily collapse."

These weren't the only factors.

He also pointed out in the video that Italy was the first European country to be hit hard by the novel coronavirus.

It was an "exotic pathogen" and everyone wanted to do their best to contain the outbreak.

"So, they said 'we need to admit these people to the hospital even if they had modest or not so severe symptoms'. This resulted in a very bad decision-making," Ioannidis observed. "And I think that this is something that every other setting that is hit by an epidemic wave needs to avoid.

"By admitting these mild or moderate cases very quickly, they became saturated," he continued. "And when they started getting the severe cases, they just had no room for them."

Not only that, but hospitals became "heavily colonized" by a new virus that remained on surfaces.

"Many of their medical personnel got infected in that heavily infested environment," he added. "So there's a lot of factors that created like the perfect storm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejPLL5s9Ai4
          Obviously focusing on Italy is cherry-picking the worst scenario, but fear-parroting never ends.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Wrong, if you're deathly ill, regardless of the cause, you go to hospital and are cared for there until well enough to be discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Wrong, if you're deathly ill, regardless of the cause, you go to hospital and are cared for there until well enough to be discharged.
              I'll add that (most) health care providers report weekly to the CDC numbers of patients with flu like symptoms, and there is a seasonal bump in hospitalizations because of the flu. Hundreds of thousands are hospitalized for the flu each year. There are statistical models which estimate the deaths outside of hospitals.

There is a requirement for mandatory testing of deaths in children from flu related disease, so that is the one category which has hard statistics.

Comment