Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The have found another Goldilocks world!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    First, thanks for overlooking the arithmetic error.

It's 0.683 years to c/√2 at 1 g.

And no, tearing and blasting are fundamentally different. A collision at those speeds is effectively a nuclear blast. No tearing involved. The extraordinary tidal forces from near approach to a black hole would rip an object apart. No blasting involved.
    What about that bending space and making it closer idea? Is that still a thing? This journey sounds a bit dangerous for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
      What about that bending space and making it closer idea? Is that still a thing? This journey sounds a bit dangerous for me.
      It's not a thing, at least not now, the bending of space, aka wormholes, are only theoretical at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        It's not a thing, at least not now, the bending of space, aka wormholes, are only theoretical at this point.
        Well, so is traveling at near lightspeed.

Comment

Traveling, shreds, and you're confusing light speed with falling into a black hole. Accounting for relativistic effects, anything traveling at c/√2 would take as many years to arrive as there are light years to travel.

1.367 years at 1g.
          How do you figure? The faster the light sail moves the more relative mass it gains meaning the less the laser can push it (not even counting the power of the laser weakening as distance grows.)

Comment

Light speed lag would quickly make conversation pretty boring, but communication shouldn't be an issue. We regularly gather data from stars moving away from us at those speeds.
            But how do you get a signal that travels at the speed of light, to something that is also traveling at the speed of light?
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              Don't wear a red shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                How do you figure? The faster the light sail moves the more relative mass it gains meaning the less the laser can push it (not even counting the power of the laser weakening as distance grows.)
                Yes, you'd have to boost power to maintain the same acceleration. Keep in mind this was a rebuttal to the idea that travel between stars would be limited to trivial speeds on the order of a few tens of thousands of miles per hour.

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                But how do you get a signal that travels at the speed of light, to something that is also traveling at the speed of light?
                You don't.

Comment

You don't.
                  I know. It can send data back, that part I understand. So I asked, how do we maintain communication with a receiver/transmitter (which means two way) and you said it shouldn't be an issue. That's what confused me. I think you think I meant, how do we collect the data. I was thinking more like, what if you need to send the probe instructions? But you'd have to make it entirely autonomous.
                  Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                    I know. It can send data back, that part I understand. So I asked, how do we maintain communication with a receiver/transmitter (which means two way) and you said it shouldn't be an issue. That's what confused me. I think you think I meant, how do we collect the data. I was thinking more like, what if you need to send the probe instructions? But you'd have to make it entirely autonomous.
                    The faster the ship goes, the more time slows down for them. Any signals from them would be frequency shifted down by that amount and any messages or data from them would be that much slower. The reverse would be true for any messages sent to them. They would see the frequency as being higher, and the messages would sound more and more like chipmunks.

A ship traveling at the speed of light would experience no time at all. Their journey would be over instantly for them.

Comment

Don't wear a red shirt.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Well, so is traveling at near lightspeed.
                        https://home.cern/science/accelerato...adron-collider

Comment

I thought that it would have been obvious that the implicit assumption in my post was that traveling at near lightspeed velocities is currently only theoretical for things such as spaceships, unmanned probes or other objects which are "suitably macro" (to make up a phrase that encompasses all objects which we are currently unable to accelerate to near-lightspeed levels.)

As you've amply demonstrated with the above reply, that was thought was incredibly stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            I thought that it would have been obvious that the implicit assumption in my post was that traveling at near lightspeed velocities is currently only theoretical for things such as spaceships, unmanned probes or other objects which are "suitably macro" (to make up a phrase that encompasses all objects which we are currently unable to accelerate to near-lightspeed levels.)
                            https://www.compoundingexpert.com/pr...ons/butt-balm/

... that was thought was incredibly stupid.
                            QED.

Comment

We have found a better candidate for an earthlike world closer to ours than ever before.

Source: https://gizmodo.com/potentially-habitable-earth-sized-exoplanet-spotted-in-1842901445

Potentially Habitable Earth-Sized Exoplanet Spotted in the Kepler Reject Pile

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Another goldilocks planet found closer an earth like than ever before. . . but there is a problem. There are likely many earth-like planets everywhere, but at what stage are they in their development of their solar system. It depends on how mature the sun is. In our solar system both Venus and Mars were potentially living earth-like planets but no more. Earth-like planets have a life span as the sun matures, and eventually earth will no longer be an earth-like planet.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-07-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment