Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

To Vote or Not To Vote, That is the Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Vote or Not To Vote, That is the Question

I was listening to Christian radio and whatever ministry was on was talking about voting and strongly said as a Christian I have to vote. Since this will be a hot topic for the rest of year, I thought it worth sharing my thoughts.

Yes, the Bible says to rending unto Caesar's what is Caesar's which in context was to pay taxes to the government. However unlike taxes, there is NO law requiring me to vote. So is there a Bible passage that would say I have to vote?

Then I have to consider the candidates for office. In the case of POTUS, it sure looks like a no win decision. Do I vote for President Trump who for the most part I like his policies but I can't argue against his behavior is not Christian and my support for him may bring shame on the name of Christ? Do I vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is who's behavior is definitely more Christian but whose policies, for example Abortion on Demand, are definitely not Christian, at least to me? I also have to consider that my state Democratic governor pretty much came out and said I shouldn't be a part of his state because of my pro-life positions. It makes me suspect about voting for the Democratic candidate as I could be found supporting those opposed to God.

I didn't vote on the Presidential line in 2016 because I came to conclusion that none of the candidates were qualified for the office. I'm leaning towards the same decision in 2020 for the same reason.

Admittedly where I live may be influencing this. Around here, the person with (D) after their name is the winner. Without competitive votes, it's hard to get enthusiastic about voting. So not voting almost becomes a protest against all political parties.

I know voting's important so I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Protest vote. I wrote in Mike Pence because I knew my vote would be wasted anywy, being in New Jersey. If it were close, I would have held my breath and voted for Trump. Personally, I have no respect for the man, but his policies are much better than Hillary Rodham's.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      I was listening to Christian radio and whatever ministry was on was talking about voting and strongly said as a Christian I have to vote. Since this will be a hot topic for the rest of year, I thought it worth sharing my thoughts.

Yes, the Bible says to rending unto Caesar's what is Caesar's which in context was to pay taxes to the government. However unlike taxes, there is NO law requiring me to vote. So is there a Bible passage that would say I have to vote?

Then I have to consider the candidates for office. In the case of POTUS, it sure looks like a no win decision. Do I vote for President Trump who for the most part I like his policies but I can't argue against his behavior is not Christian and my support for him may bring shame on the name of Christ? Do I vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is who's behavior is definitely more Christian but whose policies, for example Abortion on Demand, are definitely not Christian, at least to me? I also have to consider that my state Democratic governor pretty much came out and said I shouldn't be a part of his state because of my pro-life positions. It makes me suspect about voting for the Democratic candidate as I could be found supporting those opposed to God.

I didn't vote on the Presidential line in 2016 because I came to conclusion that none of the candidates were qualified for the office. I'm leaning towards the same decision in 2020 for the same reason.

Admittedly where I live may be influencing this. Around here, the person with (D) after their name is the winner. Without competitive votes, it's hard to get enthusiastic about voting. So not voting almost becomes a protest against all political parties.

As citizens of the USA we have an obligation to vote. Those that do not vote are victims of their own ignorance.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

That's a good question. You know, not enough people turned out to vote in 2016 assuming the shoe in candidate. More people CAN and does sway an election. Obama likely wouldn't have won in 2008 if so many young people had not turned out to vote. I do feel like everyone's vote does count especially in local elections. However if your conscience is telling you not to vote that's ok. Also I needed to add, your salvation doesn't rest on how you vote or who you vote for or whether or not you vote. Your salvation is in Christ.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No, you don't have a Christian duty to vote. Your duty is to follow your conscience. Scripture was entirely written within the contexts of monarchies and theocracies, so it does not provide much guidance for participation in "bottom-up" forms of government, including whether or not to vote.

As a Christian, your primary loyalty should be to the Kingdom of Heaven, not any nation of earth. If your loyalty to the Kingdom leads you to abstain from participation in anything related to the governing of any nation of earth, so be it.

Of course not. Scripture does not show much interaction between persons and government, and in the NT, what interaction it does show is often adversarial.

Then I have to consider the candidates for office. In the case of POTUS, it sure looks like a no win decision. Do I vote for President Trump who for the most part I like his policies but I can't argue against his behavior is not Christian and my support for him may bring shame on the name of Christ?
          You must follow your own conscience in this regard. For my part, I don't worry much about what might possibly "bring shame on the name of Christ," or "be a 'bad witness,'" or anything along those lines. No matter what we do, some will twist it to use as a weapon against Christianity. Vote for someone like Mike Pence? You're not a good, loving Christian like Pete Buttgiggy. Oppose abortion? You hate women, and can't possibly be a "good" Christian. Favor a secure border? You don't welcome the oppressed, so you're not a good, loving Christian.

IMO, Bad Orange Man's policies are returning justice to the courts; that's a good thing that Christians should welcome. They are challenging rather than placating rogue nations; that's a good thing. They are improving employment and wages for the lower income groups, and decreasing the need for food stamps and welfare; that's a good thing that Christians should welcome.

For me, the choice is easy -- much more so than it was in 2016.

Do I vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is who's behavior is definitely more Christian but whose policies, for example Abortion on Demand, are definitely not Christian, at least to me? I also have to consider that my state Democratic governor pretty much came out and said I shouldn't be a part of his state because of my pro-life positions. It makes me suspect about voting for the Democratic candidate as I could be found supporting those opposed to God.
          There is virtually no chance I could ever vote for a Democrat. The party as a whole is de jure Pro-Abortion and de facto anti-liberty, anti-semitic, and more.

There is little chance I could vote for a libertarian, as their party is offiically Pro-Choice (even if they obfuscate on the matter); however, in that party it is *somewhat* more common for specific candidates to break from the "party line" than it is in the D party.

Even the GOP is *barely* Pro-Life, given their willing if not eager embrace of the "rape and incest" disclaimers. (And I say this as someone who *does* unhesitatingly accept the "life of the mother" exclusion, which -- to my astonishment -- some here decry.)
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

As a citizen of the US you should vote for who you think will make the best President, and let God judge what is in a person's heart because He is the judge, not you.

Comment

The notion that it is sinful not to vote sounds like the words of somebody with a specific political agenda, and who is willing to use fear to exploit Christ's sheep to that end. This notion is simply not in the Bible; it is a matter of Christian liberty on which Christians can legitimately disagree. Some Christians believe that to vote is to get involved in civilian affairs (2 Timothy 2:4) or to involve themselves as citizens of one country when their true citizenship is heaven. Even though I don't agree with their interpretation, far be it for me to accuse them of sinning for following their conscience.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Do you think that there is a moral duty to vote?
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The notion that it is sinful not to vote sounds like the words of somebody with a specific political agenda, and who is willing to use fear to exploit Christ's sheep to that end. This notion is simply not in the Bible; it is a matter of Christian liberty on which Christians can legitimately disagree. Some Christians believe that to vote is to get involved in civilian affairs (2 Timothy 2:4) or to involve themselves as citizens of one country when their true citizenship is heaven. Even though I don't agree with their interpretation, far be it for me to accuse them of sinning for following their conscience.
                  Is it sinful to vote for the wrong candidate?

Comment

Looking into it, it seems like the options on the ballot for your state will be (besides the Democrat and Republican), whoever the Libertarian Party and Green Party nominate, and possibly whoever the Constitution Party nominates (the CP was on the New York ballot in 2012 but not 2016, so I'm not sure how it'll work out in 2020). I'm not sure who will be available as a write-in (the Constitution Party's candidate should be if they don't get access), but I think Brian Carroll (American Solidarity Party) will be.

Not sure if that helps at all... but figured I might as well toss that out.
                    Last edited by Terraceth; 03-03-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I voted mostly to reject all bonds and referendums. Only a few referendums have been worthwhile. California had the Proposition 13 property tax constraints in the 70s which was useful. There was another one last year that was worthwhile but was misnamed by the State.

Sometimes there were referendums that sounded good but proved to have flaws -- so I voted against them. We have a new Proposition 13 which seems to be a partial undoing of the 1978 Proposition. But this new one comes with lots of pretty promises haha.

I think the key here is that the referendums should only be accepted when they truly limit the government's indiscretions. The referendums aren't really useful to promote positive tasks by government -- but rather only to prohibit the abuses.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        Do you think that there is a moral duty to vote?
                        I'm not sure there is a moral duty. There is probably a civic duty to do so. My problem is I'm seeing a conflict between my duty to God and my duty to the USA.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          That's a good question. My initial thought is yes. However as I reflect, I don't think it's that clear. As someone else said in the thread, each person must decide according to their conscience and leading from God. That may be the best answer we get.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            I voted mostly to reject all bonds and referendums. Only a few referendums have been worthwhile. California had the Proposition 13 property tax constraints in the 70s which was useful. There was another one last year that was worthwhile but was misnamed by the State.

Sometimes there were referendums that sounded good but proved to have flaws -- so I voted against them. We have a new Proposition 13 which seems to be a partial undoing of the 1978 Proposition. But this new one comes with lots of pretty promises haha.

I think the key here is that the referendums should only be accepted when they truly limit the government's indiscretions. The referendums aren't really useful to promote positive tasks by government -- but rather only to prohibit the abuses.
                            I will usually make a point to go vote on referendums. I remember one year I went to vote specifically to vote on a referendum. I usually vote them along the same lines as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              I think it's sinful to vote with the wrong motivations. As I said in another thread, I agree with the Catholic stance that one might vote for a flawed candidate, but should not vote for them because of their flaws - in the case of abortion, it would be that one might vote for a pro-choice candidate in spite of that stance if they believed everything else they stood for outweighed that stance, but it would be sinful to vote for them because they were pro-choice.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment