Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Vote or Not To Vote, That is the Question

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I voted mostly to reject all bonds and referendums. Only a few referendums have been worthwhile. California had the Proposition 13 property tax constraints in the 70s which was useful. There was another one last year that was worthwhile but was misnamed by the State.

Sometimes there were referendums that sounded good but proved to have flaws -- so I voted against them. We have a new Proposition 13 which seems to be a partial undoing of the 1978 Proposition. But this new one comes with lots of pretty promises haha.

I think the key here is that the referendums should only be accepted when they truly limit the government's indiscretions. The referendums aren't really useful to promote positive tasks by government -- but rather only to prohibit the abuses.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Do you think that there is a moral duty to vote?
    I'm not sure there is a moral duty. There is probably a civic duty to do so. My problem is I'm seeing a conflict between my duty to God and my duty to the USA.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Is it sinful to vote for the wrong candidate?
    That's a good question. My initial thought is yes. However as I reflect, I don't think it's that clear. As someone else said in the thread, each person must decide according to their conscience and leading from God. That may be the best answer we get.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I voted mostly to reject all bonds and referendums. Only a few referendums have been worthwhile. California had the Proposition 13 property tax constraints in the 70s which was useful. There was another one last year that was worthwhile but was misnamed by the State.

Sometimes there were referendums that sounded good but proved to have flaws -- so I voted against them. We have a new Proposition 13 which seems to be a partial undoing of the 1978 Proposition. But this new one comes with lots of pretty promises haha.

I think the key here is that the referendums should only be accepted when they truly limit the government's indiscretions. The referendums aren't really useful to promote positive tasks by government -- but rather only to prohibit the abuses.
    I will usually make a point to go vote on referendums. I remember one year I went to vote specifically to vote on a referendum. I usually vote them along the same lines as you do.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Is it sinful to vote for the wrong candidate?
    I think it's sinful to vote with the wrong motivations. As I said in another thread, I agree with the Catholic stance that one might vote for a flawed candidate, but should not vote for them because of their flaws - in the case of abortion, it would be that one might vote for a pro-choice candidate in spite of that stance if they believed everything else they stood for outweighed that stance, but it would be sinful to vote for them because they were pro-choice.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    My problem is I'm seeing a conflict between my duty to God and my duty to the USA.
    Which comes first?
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Which comes first?
    God always comes first. I find this can confuse people who don't believe God exists or that He's involved in their lives.

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    God always comes first. I find this can confuse people who don't believe God exists or that He's involved in their lives.
    You'd be surprised how many "Christians" think it strange that I have qualms about the Pledge of Allegiance.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderator's note: You know you aren't supposed to post here.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 03-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    You'd be surprised how many "Christians" think it strange that I have qualms about the Pledge of Allegiance.
    I get it. I have a few beliefs myself that are inside orthodoxy but outside of mainstream belief. I keep them to myself unless I really trust the other person.

I don't find it strange about the Pledge. I can see how saying it could be interpreted as putting country above God.

13. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.