Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Allergies to Toner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies to Toner

I found out that I am allergic to the toner in my printer.

Have any of you heard of this?

Is there a safe toner?

Thanks.

Weird. Are you allergic to all toner or just your particular brand?

You can always get an inkjet printer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Weird. Are you allergic to all toner or just your particular brand?
      I'm not sure.

I found out I was allergic to printer's ink and thought maybe I couldn't read books anymore, but my allergist say the ink in old book would disaapate overtime and I need not stop reading books. I know I am allergic to the ink in newspapers, so that is what I asked the question.

She did say however, this is not true when I print documents from my computer. She said I needed to let them dry and and air out before reading them.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You can always get an inkjet printer.
      I have an inkjet printer.

See this article:

https://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/le...r-printer-ink/

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        I'm not sure.

I found out I was allergic to printer's ink and thought maybe I couldn't read books anymore, but my allergist say the ink in old book would disaapate overtime and I need not stop reading books. I know I am allergic to the ink in newspapers, so that is what I asked the question.

She did say however, this is not true when I print documents from my computer. She said I needed to let them dry and and air out before reading them.

See this article:

Inkjet printers don't use toner.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          Inkjet printers don't use toner.
          My mistake. I found out I am allergic to ink (I thought the ink was called toner).

Comment

My mistake. I found out I am allergic to ink (I thought the ink was called toner).
            Then you should use a laser printer. They use a dry powder (toner) that is not wet when it comes out of the printer. It comes in cartridges and you're never exposed to it until it's already fused to the paper. With printers that use liquid ink such as inkjet and the extinct dot matrix printers, the pages can sometimes still be damp when the printer spits them out.

If you're mostly printing text, I find that my laser printer is superior to an inkjet printer in clarity. If you need to print photos, an inkjet printer is probably best if quality is important. If your reaction is severe, I'd recommend either having someone else print for you, or if quality isn't a top priority, using a colour laser printer.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I'm not sure.

See this article:

ok then you should have said you are allergic to INK, not TONER. Toner is the powder used in Laser printers. Are you allergic to that? If not, you should get a laser printer.

Comment