Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Here's another

Remy from Black Lagoon who is a short-tempered, nihilistic homicidal maniac who interestingly becomes increasingly more like Rock, the caring diplomatic "salaryman" betrayed by his company whereas he slowly becomes more like her. They had a great discussion concerning their philosophies while aboard a sunken Nazi U Boat.

I really like this anime although it can get really dark and troubling at times -- especially the episode with the twin children.
    The Gretel Twins are the stuff of nightmares and Remy has serious dissociative issues. The show however is interesting.

I think parasyte might be my favorite darker series.
    sigpic

Comment

Speaking of unsettling, the Ongyou from Requiem from the Darkness.

Mataichi who is the short "monk" covered in bandages. Ogin who is the curvaceous puppeteer. And Nagamimi who is the massive guy good with birds and other animals. Of course there's the little fact that they're also undead spirits who deliver justice to the worst sort of depraved criminals.

This show deals with such topics as incest, patricide, cannibalism and necrophilia so it can get pretty heavy. I never quite figured out the ending though.

As you can probably tell, I do have a soft spot for dark horror.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        The Gretel Twins are the stuff of nightmares and Remy has serious dissociative issues. The show however is interesting.

I think parasyte might be my favorite darker series.
        I liked Parasyte but not as much as the others I've mentioned. I think they were supposed to make a live action version

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

To get away from the darker animes...

Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter (which does on occasion have a dark moment though) who is an amoral, egotistical, sociopathic manipulator

Comment

To get away from the darker animes...

Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter (which does on occasion have a dark moment though) who is an amoral, egotistical, sociopathic manipulator
            I wouldn't say Hunter x Hunter has occasional dark moments, but rather that it's a show with some serious dark undercurrents, with a thin veneer of "happy-go-lucky"-ness that occasionally breaks and allows the "darkness" of the HxH world show through.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I wouldn't say Hunter x Hunter has occasional dark moments, but rather that it's a show with some serious dark undercurrents, with a thin veneer of "happy-go-lucky"-ness that occasionally breaks and allows the "darkness" of the HxH world show through.
              Compared to Hellsing, Requiem from the Darkness and several episodes of Black Lagoon... meh.

Comment

Hisoka does not need a complex motive to be one of the most memorable villains ever.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  Hisoka does not need a complex motive to be one of the most memorable villains ever.
                  He's both a character that I find myself both liking and despising.

Comment

One type of villain that I find myself drawn to are the honorable ones. A great example of that would be Scar from the various incarnations of Fullmetal Alchemist

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      Not really an anime, but the Kingdom Hearts series gets pretty dark when you look at the underlying story. I mean, it's a post apocalyptic world in which the major war was fought by children. The Heartless are darkness incarnate, and when they take a heart from someone they increase in numbers. If the heart was strong enough, the body left behind becomes a Nobody. A nightmarish universe glossed over with colorful characters. I guess it should be expected for something from the minds of Disney and Final Fantasy working together.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Not really an anime, but the Kingdom Hearts series gets pretty dark when you look at the underlying story. I mean, it's a post apocalyptic world in which the major war was fought by children. The Heartless are darkness incarnate, and when they take a heart from someone they increase in numbers. If the heart was strong enough, the body left behind becomes a Nobody. A nightmarish universe glossed over with colorful characters. I guess it should be expected for something from the minds of Disney and Final Fantasy working together.
                        IIRC Cracked has run several articles pointing out how this or that show, known for their upbeat, cheerful storylines, exist in really, really dark worlds.

Comment

IIRC Cracked has run several articles pointing out how this or that show, known for their upbeat, cheerful storylines, exist in really, really dark worlds.
                          Yeah, there is also a video on the youtube channel outsidextra that talks about games with the same issue. Most of the games in the video were made by Nintendo.

Comment

One type of villain that I find myself drawn to are the honorable ones. A great example of that would be Scar from the various incarnations of Fullmetal Alchemist
                            Honorable villains are fantastic when done well.
                            Hadlar from Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken is one I found to be well written.
                            sigpic

Comment

I tend to find Cracked and the like annoying , but that is me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Daleks manage to be one of the dumbest species but also one of the most fascinating villainous groups in science fiction.
                                sigpic

Comment