Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Some statistics here: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...ifetimeab.html

Pro-life types will never stop abortion, but they can ensure that it is unsafe, particularly for poor women. That is why their crusade is immoral.
    Let's make murder safe again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Let's make murder safe again!
      Hmm, would it be more effective to make abortion unthinkable first, or illegal first with the goal being both unthinkable and illegal? I wish it had never been made legal in the first place!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Hmm, would it be more effective to make abortion unthinkable first, or illegal first with the goal being both unthinkable and illegal? I wish it had never been made legal in the first place!
        It was sarcasm, CB.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          It was sarcasm, CB.
          I was asking you a question because Chrawnus jumped on me for having compassion for the women who commit abortions. How many would have done it if it were illegal? I know it's messed up for people to equate legality with morality(plenty of legal acts are immoral), but at least some people are curtailed by the law.

Comment

I was asking you a question because Chrawnus jumped on me for having compassion for the women who commit abortions.
            I "jumped" on you not for having compassion for the women who commit abortions, but because it seemed to me like you were arguing "not having all the facts" should be an extenuating circumstance, when "not having all the facts" doesn't let anyone of the hook in any other case of moral wrongdoing.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Some statistics here: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...ifetimeab.html

Pro-life types will never stop abortion, but they can ensure that it is unsafe, particularly for poor women. That is why their crusade is immoral.
              I've already destroyed the "unsafe" myth. The pro-abortion crowd lied through their teeth about the dangers of illegal abortion falsely claiming that ten thousand women died each year as a result when in the last year before Roe v. Wade the actual number was really 28. And legal abortions have definitely not resulted in safety or else monsters like Kermit Gosnell and other less known butchers like Nareshkumar "Naresh" Patel, Brian Finkel, Robert Rho, James Pendergraft IV and others wouldn't exist.

Anywho... You seem to think that because it is impossible to stop all abortions that this should mean we should just tolerate and accept it (or in the words of the left today, "celebrate" them).

Should we therefore do the same with say rape and pedophilia?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                I "jumped" on you not for having compassion for the women who commit abortions, but because it seemed to me like you were arguing "not having all the facts" should be an extenuating circumstance, when "not having all the facts" doesn't let anyone of the hook in any other case of moral wrongdoing.
                No, sorry I wasn't clear. Having all the facts may help reduce abortions(because what horrible person would knowingly murder her own child). Doesn't help after the fact. Unless realizing that what she dod was evil is helping. Maybe she'll repent. But how does one tell true repentance from an act?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Should we therefore do the same with say rape and pedophilia?
                  That's a really interesting question. Rape is a little harder argument to make, I think, but would liberals be in favor of pedophilia if steps were taken to insure the child's psychological well-being? Let's call it "compassionate pedophilia" to distinguish it from the icky version.

(I better be careful, because reductio ad absurdum often results in something that liberals might actually agree with.)
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, sorry I wasn't clear. Having all the facts may help reduce abortions(because what horrible person would knowingly murder her own child). Doesn't help after the fact. Unless realizing that what she dod was evil is helping. Maybe she'll repent. But how does one tell true repentance from an act?
                    Facts and evidence can indeed make a difference.

It was sonogram or ultrasound technology which caused one of the most strident abortion supporters, Bernard Nathanson in 1969 of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) and one time director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health said it was what led him to change his mind, reverse course and become staunchly pro-life as well as convert to Christianity.

Sorry ma'am but you're wrong. That's obviously just an invasive clump of tissue.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      That's a really interesting question. Rape is a little harder argument to make, I think, but would liberals be in favor of pedophilia if steps were taken to insure the child's psychological well-being? Let's call it "compassionate pedophilia" to distinguish it from the icky version.

(I better be careful, because reductio ad absurdum often results in something that liberals might actually agree with.)
                      To listen to some of their arguments it seems that they just might have no objections if the victim was completely sedated and unaware what was being done to them.

The same for pedophilia, which I expect the left to become increasingly in favor of. After all, if an Elementary School age child is old enough to choose to switch genders then surely their old enough to decide to have sex.

Comment

I think NAMBLA takes a stance similar to that.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And in other news... Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey Proclaims March 10 ‘Abortion Provider Appreciation Day’

Come soon Jesus.

Comment

So, they might think that date rape drugs are okay??? And not all evil is due to ignorance. Some are just more wicked than others for reasons.

Comment

Why do you find simply not murdering the unborn to be morally objectionable?
                              The immorality of your position extends to your insistence on calling it murder.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

And not all evil is due to ignorance.
                                I would say that all evil is at least partly due to ignorance. Evil is an attempt to attain that which in and of itself is a good (such as happiness, pleasure, well-being and so on) but in a way that runs counter to God's intentions, and outside of the limits He has set, because one does not realize that by going outside of what God has ordained to acquire these "goods", what one acquires is not the true Good, but twisted and inferior versions, or imitations of "good". By chasing after the "good" for selfish and wrongheaded reasons, and in the wrong way, that which is good is perverted into something evil.

Comment