Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion safety

If a woman wants to kill the baby inside her, she can get a pill and get rid of it.

How safe is that? I argue that it is relatively safe, and legal, and available. I also argue that it is driving down the number of surgical abortions, Planned Parenthood's important revenue stream.

And I also argue that the prolife community does not see it as a big deal.

That pill is a safe route to abort the baby. Agree or disagree?

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Moved from Pro Life Activism because that is a NON DEBATE area. Carry on.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-08-2020, 06:47 PM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      If a woman wants to kill the baby inside her, she can get a pill and get rid of it.

How safe is that? I argue that it is relatively safe, and legal, and available. I also argue that it is driving down the number of surgical abortions, Planned Parenthood's important revenue stream.

There is no "safe" route for the baby.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How about we start telling women that they have the right to not get pregnant in the first place? That's even safer, since there is no loss of life. By definition, if there is a loss of life, it's unsafe.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          How about we start telling women that they have the right to not get pregnant in the first place? That's even safer, since there is no loss of life. By definition, if there is a loss of life, it's unsafe.
          I don't think that's a promising line of argumentation because it implicitly cedes ground on the issue of rape.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I don't think that's a promising line of argumentation because it implicitly cedes ground on the issue of rape.
            How? Rape accounts for a miniscule percentage of abortions. Most abortions are because women couldn't be bothered to prevent pregnancy. And anyway, looking at surveys of actual rape victims, most who got an abortion later regretted it. They need counseling, not the means to forward their trauma to an innocent third party. That only exacerbates the trauma.
            But it does bring up the issue of self defense rights, though. If men knew that there was a pretty good chance that their target was carrying the means of defending herself, I'm sure there would be far less rape. At least let women carry knives, as even that, as absurd as it sounds, is not allowed in some places. Where women are not allowed to defend themselves, they become easy prey.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

It's not safe for the baby.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I don't think abortion should be permitted even in cases of rape. As harrowing as it might be for the woman, it's still an innocent life that would be immoral to kill. The only time I think abortion is morally acceptable is if it's necessary to save the mother's life -- as in the mother is physically in danger and not simply emotional distress.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I don't think abortion should be permitted even in cases of rape. As harrowing as it might be for the woman, it's still an innocent life that would be immoral to kill. The only time I think abortion is morally acceptable is if it's necessary to save the mother's life -- as in the mother is physically in danger and not simply emotional distress.
                  I agree 100 percent. It's still murder. My point is that if we approach it primarily from the angle that it was your choice to get pregnant, we put ourselves on the defensive in cases where it wasn't.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I agree 100 percent. It's still murder. My point is that if we approach it primarily from the angle that it was your choice to get pregnant, we put ourselves on the defensive in cases where it wasn't.
                    And failed contraception cases.

Banning abortion needs a rational legal argument that will prioritize the life of the unborn child over a woman’s right to privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

Banning abortion needs a rational legal argument that will prioritize the life of the unborn child over a woman’s right to privacy.
                      I don't think that is even difficult to demonstrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          "Hard cases make bad law"

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            Moderated By: DesertBerean

Moved from Pro Life Activism because that is a NON DEBATE area. Carry on.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

As if anyone here would be willing to debate (let alone comment on) the relative safety of chemical abortions!

Comment

They don't want to punish the women, so they have to punish someone else, which is the doctor that performs the killing in the surgical version.

The pill means the women kill with their own hands, so most of the community is stuck.
                              Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-09-2020, 04:43 AM.
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment