Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Market meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Four Senators have been named Feinstein, Burr, Inhoffe and Loeffler
    My understanding is two of them had it in a blind trust so wouldn't have been directly responsible.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      My understanding is two of them had it in a blind trust so wouldn't have been directly responsible.
      they could have notified the trustees running the blind trust that they should move the stocks. wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Comment

Reserve requirement ratios are now zero. Banks can now print at will.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
          Reserve requirement ratios are now zero. Banks can now print at will.
          Going out with a bang. Why not. Inflation will be insane. Most folks probably don't understand fractional reserve banking to begin with though.

Comment

For the unaware:

Going back in all of history, banks have been required to hold reserves against their assets - which are loans and securities. It’s simple – banks set aside a percentage of their assets as reserve and kept it in gold (for most of recorded history) or as cash at the Federal Reserve. This is a fundamental pillar of fractional reserve banking. Conceptually, the reserve gives depositors confidence that when they show up to take their money back, there will be cash to give them. It hasn’t always been nearly enough and if depositors get wary, they “run” to the bank to withdraw their money. Please re-watch “It’s a wonderful Life’ to see what happens during a bank run. It’s not pretty. It hasn’t just happened in black and white either. There were runs in 2007 and 2008 as depositors feared for their funds at several banks.

During the over 100+ years of Fed history, they have mandated the bank reserve ratio. Manipulation of the reserve requirement ratio has been one of their most powerful tools. That ratio was north of 20% through most of the first fifty years of the Fed (including the great depression). It had made its way down to 10% - that was before today. Until further clarification or notice, banks need not hold any reserve against their assets. This means that banks could theoretically continue making loans to infinity.
            Hyperinflation is now a real possibility.

Comment

Federal Reserve holdings.

US treasuries (federal bonds): About $650 billion increase since the first of this year.

Total assets (federal bonds, state bonds, corporate bonds -- i.e. derivatives): About 1$ trillion increase since the first of this year.

Don't confuse the latter with a trillion a day loans they're using to keep the repo market liquid. The chart represents regular QE (to infinity). My guess is they will easily hit $10 TRILLION total assets by the years end, and the graph will look like a reverse L.

To put perspective on that, their balance sheet of total assets was less than ONE MILLION in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Don't confuse the latter with a trillion a day loans they're using to keep the repo market liquid.
                Is there a handy chart that keeps track of this?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  Is there a handy chart that keeps track of this?
                  No charts or graphs, just the raw data.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Federal Reserve holdings.

US treasuries (federal bonds): About $650 billion increase since the first of this year.

Total assets (federal bonds, state bonds, corporate bonds -- i.e. derivatives): About 1$ trillion increase since the first of this year.

Don't confuse the latter with a trillion a day loans they're using to keep the repo market liquid. The chart represents regular QE (to infinity). My guess is they will easily hit $10 TRILLION total assets by the years end, and the graph will look like a reverse L.

To put perspective on that, their balance sheet of total assets was less than ONE MILLION in 2008.
                    That's actually under ONE TRILLION, my bad

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X