Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Libertarianism and epidemics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    You mean anarchism, which is typically a lefty belief. Libertarianism means limited government. Anarchism means no government.
    In theory. In practice libertarians complain about EVERYTHING governments do, even basic functions like border defense.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      In theory. In practice libertarians complain about EVERYTHING governments do, even basic functions like border defense.
      Libertarians seem to have to an unreasonable expectation that people and groups are to able to exercise self-restraint without being compelled to by a government authority. They don't want anarchy, but it seems that would be the inevitable result if they were to get everything they ask for.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Libertarians seem to have to an unreasonable expectation that people and groups are to able to exercise self-restraint without being compelled to by a government authority. They don't want anarchy, but it seems that would be the inevitable result if they were to get everything they ask for.
        Libertarianism is wrong only in the sense that it refuses to acknowledge the inevitable desire of government to grow and expand. That can't be controlled. Neither anarchism nor libertarianism can solve that conundrum. You can't have no government because that isn't realistic, but you can't control the growth of government because that isn't realistic either.

Comment