Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Keeping things in perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping things in perspective

Does anyone even remember the Swine flu?

The 2009 flu pandemic in the United States was a novel strain of the Influenza A/H1N1 virus, commonly referred to as "swine flu", that began in the spring of 2009. The virus had spread to the US from an outbreak in Mexico.[116]

As of mid-March 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that about 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus, 265,000 were hospitalized as a result, and 12,000 died

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_f..._United_States
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Of course I do .

But please, help me understand the perspective you're trying to impart.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Of course I do .

But please, help me understand the perspective you're trying to impart.
      All things must pass. We will get through this, no reason to set our hair on fire...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Wasn't there some swine flu scare back in the 1980s too?

eta: 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

The vaccine caused more problems than the disease.

Comment

I heard from a couple sources that we should stop listening to the coronavirus news, at least a couple days, to get away from stress caused by the news itself.

The stress caused by listening to the news can make people more vulnerable to illness.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            All things must pass. We will get through this, no reason to set our hair on fire...
            Is ensuring everyone who wants a test gets one "setting our hair on fire"?

Comment

that is a bit excessive. And when going to get tested, it puts that person in the midst of people who think they have it.

Also, there is no worthwhile system for getting everyone tested based on their curiosity -- and doing that at a cost that each person would want to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                that is a bit excessive. And when going to get tested, it puts that person in the midst of people who think they have it.

Also, there is no worthwhile system for getting everyone tested based on their curiosity -- and doing that at a cost that each person would want to pay.
                Why do you think that most people are being tested based on "curiosity"? It seems like a legitimate purpose far beyond "curiosity" if one wants to know whether they should self-quarantine and avoid infecting others. Also, as has been noted elsewhere, some of the people who are most at risk of spreading it work in service industries and do not have health insurance and probably cannot afford any such testing were it to be offered at market value.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The narrative is that this latest bug is going to be worse than anything we've faced in the recent past.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Nonsense, we never ever tested everyone. Because everyone will want testing...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Why do you think that most people are being tested based on "curiosity"? It seems like a legitimate purpose far beyond "curiosity" if one wants to know whether they should self-quarantine and avoid infecting others. Also, as has been noted elsewhere, some of the people who are most at risk of spreading it work in service industries and do not have health insurance and probably cannot afford any such testing were it to be offered at market value.
                      The insurance companies have already committed to covering the cost of testing and treatment at no cost, according to Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The insurance companies have already committed to covering the cost of testing and treatment at no cost, according to Trump.
                        I don't think Trump is a reliable source for anything relating to testing. He also continues to insist that it's widely available.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Nonsense, we never ever tested everyone. Because everyone will want testing...
                          and if negative will want to continue to get tests over and over.

Makes sense to just get tested after you have talked to your doctor and they have ordered the test of they feel you need it. That's the way the flu test works. You go into your doctor's office, they examine you, then if they think you have the flu, they do the nose swab thing and send it off to be tested.

And right now the CDC is also backtracing people who do test positive to test anyone who came in contact with them, even if they don't have symptoms.

Comment

And the press fell over themselves lauding Obama with how masterfully he handled the situation even though he waited until after a thousand Americans had died to act.

Quick question.

Without resorting to Google, does anyone know how many Americans have died as a result of the Coronavirus so far? And do you remember seeing any totals provided by the MSM?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              The narrative is that this latest bug is going to be worse than anything we've faced in the recent past.
                              So you're going to predict the final *official* body count won't exceed 12k? It's probably already over that unofficially if you've been following the news.

Unrelated, I took this picture during my recent tour of the Jelly Belly factory. Hope you like it.

laurel.jpg

Comment