Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping things in perspective

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season.
    Exactly what demi has been saying since the start, there has been tons of undetected cases but not that many deaths. The virus itself is not that serious, but panic could be.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A top Ohio health official estimates that more than 100,000 people across the state are carrying the novel coronavirus.

Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton announced the number of presumed infected at a Thursday press conference, according to the Hill. The number is far above the roughly 1,300 confirmed cases in the United States reported by Thursday morning.

"We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1%, at the very least, 1% of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," Acton said. "We have 11.7 million people. So the math is over 100,000. So that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads and is spreading quickly."

"Our delay in being able to test has delayed our understanding of the spread of this," Acton added.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-in-state
    Simple maths imply a few million infected in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    . But to then declare that the early estimates are something like ten to one hundred times too high is both ridiculous and bizarre. There is absolutely no evidence that the early estimates are anywhere near that far off.
    It now appears that they are not ten to one hundred times off, but a thousand to ten thousand times.
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-12-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    I heard from a couple sources that we should stop listening to the coronavirus news, at least a couple days, to get away from stress caused by the news itself.

The stress caused by listening to the news can make people more vulnerable to illness.
    This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I like to watch news. The damned "Cancel Everything!" approach means that the ONLY thing left for the talking heads to prattle about IS the Kung Flu.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    And the press fell over themselves lauding Obama with how masterfully he handled the situation even though he waited until after a thousand Americans had died to act.

Quick question.

Without resorting to Google, does anyone know how many Americans have died as a result of the Coronavirus so far? And do you remember seeing any totals provided by the MSM?
    Last I saw, it was something like 37 out of 1600, which is a CFR a bit over 2%.

Based on the stats in the OP, that's a CFR over 100 times that of the Spanish Flu.
    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 03-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    What's so bad about that?
    The tests are not, and will not be, of infinite supply, AND they are known to yield both false positives and false negatives.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not that anyone will take this seriously. At work (the pharmacy) we are pretty well telling everyone to use "Standard Precautions" for disease prevention. The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season. However there is no way to find out if it was the flu or Covid at this point. The best thing anyone can do is just use common sense.
    Yeah, I had the worst "flu" of my life this winter. Wiped out my January and half of February. My throat is still messed up from coughing so hard. I know other people who were also sick for weeks, and at least one who was sick for months.

In my case, I doubt it was China Virus, because the symptom profile was much more like that of a bad case of flu. But I did not get any kind of "test," so I don't know for sure.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Once you already have the virus, travel bans are useless. They just switch off your tourism industry.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Once you already have the virus, travel bans are useless. They just switch off your tourism industry.
    Wrong. They are useful to flatten the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    UK now in delay phase, containment has failed. Flattening the curve is intended to reduce pressure on health services.
    Delay, delay, delay.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not that anyone will take this seriously. At work (the pharmacy) we are pretty well telling everyone to use "Standard Precautions" for disease prevention. The issue from the healthcare side is that we believe that the virus has been present for sometime everywhere but it was initially thought "Oh it's just a bad flu season." The number of people that suddenly died of the flu or viral pneumonia related to the flu in my area is higher than average but not much higher than we would see during a bad flu season. However there is no way to find out if it was the flu or Covid at this point. The best thing anyone can do is just use common sense.
    Usually if you are sick enough with the flu you would go to a clinic and get tested. I had it bad last year around this time. I went in and got checked out and they said it was Influenza A. I was pretty sick.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Usually if you are sick enough with the flu you would go to a clinic and get tested. I had it bad last year around this time. I went in and got checked out and they said it was Influenza A. I was pretty sick.
    I've never gone to the doctor for the flu. I just drink fluids, take my vitamins, and rest as much as I can until I get better. The only time I would see a doctor is if I had severe symptoms, or symptoms that didn't subside in a reasonable period of time, but that's never happened.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra