Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Keeping things in perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I've never gone to the doctor for the flu. I just drink fluids, take my vitamins, and rest as much as I can until I get better. The only time I would see a doctor is if I had severe symptoms, or symptoms that didn't subside in a reasonable period of time, but that's never happened.
    Whenever I am sick and go to the doctor, I get the medicine and get sicker for awhile.

(Note: this is only the ironic part of what happens.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I've never gone to the doctor for the flu. I just drink fluids, take my vitamins, and rest as much as I can until I get better. The only time I would see a doctor is if I had severe symptoms, or symptoms that didn't subside in a reasonable period of time, but that's never happened.
      I initially thought I had strep throat, so I went to get it checked out and it was the flu. It got pretty bad too. I was laid up for a few days in bed. Missed a week of work. Then had a cough that wouldn't go away for over a month.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Does anyone even remember the Swine flu?
        I'll bet you don't remember the Spanish flu, unless you're over 100 years old, which killed 50 million people worldwide and had a lower mortality rate, 2.5%, than what has so far been found to be the case, 3.4%, with Covid-19. That mortality rate could change, get lower, with more testing, but still the mortality rate for the seasonal flu is only 0.14% and doesn't spread as rapidly do to vaccines.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          I'll bet you don't remember the Spanish flu, unless you're over 100 years old.
          A hundred years is like a long weekend to mossy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            A hundred years is like a long weekend to mossy.
            You are so dead...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              I'll bet you don't remember the Spanish flu, unless you're over 100 years old, which killed 50 million people worldwide and had a lower mortality rate, 2.5%, than what has so far been found to be the case, 3.4%, with Covid-19. That mortality rate could change, get lower, with more testing, but still the mortality rate for the seasonal flu is only 0.14% and doesn't spread as rapidly do to vaccines.
              The 2.5% for the spanish flu is an error that is currently being passed around. It was more likely 10-20%

see:

The CFR is the number of infected people that die.

This influential 2006 paper states that the 1918 pandemic infected 500 million people globally & killed 50 - 100 million, a CFR of 10 - 20%. But the paper states the CFR was 2.5%. Why the discrepancy? https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/

Accurately estimating the CFR of any pandemic is challenging, all the more so with incomplete historical records. Estimates of the number of infections and deaths during the 1918 pandemic have changed dramatically over time and continue to be debated.

To back up the 2.5% CFR the 2006 paper cites a 1976 & 1980 publication. The latter claims 20 million deaths & 500 million infections globally, a CFR of 4%. It further states the CFR was 1 to 3% "in some areas" and ranged as high as 10% in others

For global mortality, however, the 2006 paper relies on the much more recent (2002) estimate of 50 to 100 million deaths, but it didn't revise the CFR to match.

This creates a glaring mathematical impossibility which has been widely repeated.

If 500 mil were infected and 50 - 100 mil died, then the CFR was 10 - 20%.

If 500 mil were infected and the CFR was 2.5%, then 12.5 mil died.

Others have noticed these discrepancies as well. See this post by @edrybicki
              for example: https://rybicki.blog/2018/04/11/1918...fatality-rate/

Interesting side note: until very recently Wikipedia's article on the 1918 pandemic cited the 10 to 20% CFR in line with more recent death toll estimates, but someone revised the section and it now contains conflicting figures and statements.

To make 50 mil deaths and a 2.5% CFR compatible would require more infections than the number of people that existed in 1918.
              https://twitter.com/ferrisjabr/statu...52631826100224

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The 2.5% for the spanish flu is an error that is currently being passed around. It was more likely 10-20%

see:

The CFR is the number of infected people that die.

This influential 2006 paper states that the 1918 pandemic infected 500 million people globally & killed 50 - 100 million, a CFR of 10 - 20%. But the paper states the CFR was 2.5%. Why the discrepancy? https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/

Accurately estimating the CFR of any pandemic is challenging, all the more so with incomplete historical records. Estimates of the number of infections and deaths during the 1918 pandemic have changed dramatically over time and continue to be debated.

To back up the 2.5% CFR the 2006 paper cites a 1976 & 1980 publication. The latter claims 20 million deaths & 500 million infections globally, a CFR of 4%. It further states the CFR was 1 to 3% "in some areas" and ranged as high as 10% in others

For global mortality, however, the 2006 paper relies on the much more recent (2002) estimate of 50 to 100 million deaths, but it didn't revise the CFR to match.

This creates a glaring mathematical impossibility which has been widely repeated.

If 500 mil were infected and 50 - 100 mil died, then the CFR was 10 - 20%.

If 500 mil were infected and the CFR was 2.5%, then 12.5 mil died.

Others have noticed these discrepancies as well. See this post by @edrybicki
                for example: https://rybicki.blog/2018/04/11/1918...fatality-rate/

Interesting side note: until very recently Wikipedia's article on the 1918 pandemic cited the 10 to 20% CFR in line with more recent death toll estimates, but someone revised the section and it now contains conflicting figures and statements.

To make 50 mil deaths and a 2.5% CFR compatible would require more infections than the number of people that existed in 1918.
                https://twitter.com/ferrisjabr/statu...52631826100224

The Spanish flu (I wonder when the sanctimonious virtue signalers will proclaim from on high that is racist?) was a strange one. Usually flu adversely affects the very young and elderly the worst but FWIU in this case the ones with the highest percentage of deaths were those in their 20s and 30s.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  You are so dead...
                  Still alive and kickin'

Comment

In the first year, at least 30% are infected. 12% of those need to be hospitalised, 2% will become critical and, say, 0.5% will die. From hospitalisation to death, about one month if very intensive interventions are used. These patients are highly infectious, shedding virus all the time, so very risky for medical staff.

This scenario will destroy every ICU in the country. Good luck.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The Spanish flu (I wonder when the sanctimonious virtue signalers will proclaim from on high that is racist?) was a strange one. Usually flu adversely affects the very young and elderly the worst but FWIU in this case the ones with the highest percentage of deaths were those in their 20s and 30s.
                      Was it a cytokine storm kind of flu? As I understand it, those are especially harmful to those with strong and highly reactive immune systems, which are generally people in the prime of life.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment