Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus is not a bug, it's a feature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus is not a bug, it's a feature!

(Actually, it's neither, it's a virus.)

But the downside of this bug is looking pretty sunny for me.

One of our campuses closed about an hour ago. Sometime around about next week, I'm expecting the rest of our campuses to follow suit. In the meantime, I'm doing trial runs with online office hours this weekend, preparing to move all instruction online as soon as necessary.

The software's sweet. I'm a tablet professor anyway, using local wi-fi to get to the classroom projectors, so it's just a question of getting my screen at home in front of them and providing interactivity with my students. I won't be able to see their faces, (unless they choose to share cams), but they can speak or chat at me, and the lectures can be recorded for asynchronous viewing.

I don't have to dress up. I don't have to commute.

I can live with this.

But I'm still going to miss their faces.

Feel free to share how COV-19 is affecting your lives, too.

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    I don't have to dress up. I don't have to commute.
    Cool, you can do it all from your mom's basement, in your mommy pants!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Right now I am waiting to see if my company will start telling people to work from home. My boss sent out a notice telling us to prepare for it, making sure we have everything we need at home.

I can do just about everything online remotely accessing my work PC, except when people need CDs or Flash drives accessed, because someone would have to insert it into the computer at work.

We will probably need to tell clients to use a file sharing service like dropbox or sharefile to get us data and for us to share with them. We have been moving that way anyway. Video editing my be a problem remotely, but I can probably just install Adobe Premiere on my home PC and download the files to work on locally.

The only other problem will be not being able to use the inhouse telephone system to call people from home. Gonna have to look up cell phone numbers I guess.

Comment

Hockey night in Canada has shut down completely for now. Ask me if I care.

And the Mrs. PM was feeling poorly so the PM is self-quarentining with her for 2 weeks. Of course, he didn't tell anybody until after all the premiers flew to Ottawa yesterday to discuss some important stuff with him, so when they got there they found out the meeting was cancelled. Our premier flew home again today. Big cost to the taxpayer over that one, let me tell you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And the Mrs. PM was feeling poorly so the PM is self-quarentining with her for 2 weeks. Of course, he didn't tell anybody until after all the premiers flew to Ottawa yesterday to discuss some important stuff with him, so when they got there they found out the meeting was cancelled. Our premier flew home again today. Big cost to the taxpayer over that one, let me tell you.
          Well that was better than them finding out AFTER the meeting!

And him being in quarantine is probably good for the country.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Cool, you can do it all from your mom's basement, in your mommy pants!
            It's 80 degrees out right now. Not even the moms are wearing pants

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Do you care?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln.

Comment

Right now I am waiting to see if my company will start telling people to work from home. My boss sent out a notice telling us to prepare for it, making sure we have everything we need at home.

I can do just about everything online remotely accessing my work PC, except when people need CDs or Flash drives accessed, because someone would have to insert it into the computer at work.

We will probably need to tell clients to use a file sharing service like dropbox or sharefile to get us data and for us to share with them. We have been moving that way anyway. Video editing my be a problem remotely, but I can probably just install Adobe Premiere on my home PC and download the files to work on locally.

The only other problem will be not being able to use the inhouse telephone system to call people from home. Gonna have to look up cell phone numbers I guess.
                Do y'all use GoToMeeting? That's the same functionality I'll be using, but tied into my Learning Management System so there's no extra work sharing the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by J
                  Do you care?
                  Not a whit.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's 80 degrees out right now. Not even the moms are wearing pants
                    You and your mom are at a nudist camp? Awkward...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And him being in quarantine is probably good for the country.
                      I guess it's better to find out before the meeting. But it's better to not have them all fly out there (global warming, you know, all those jets leaving a mess in the sky) at all. When such things can be done by teleconference or Skype or whatever in the first place.

And yes, it's good he's in quarantine. Too bad it's not permanent.

Comment

Do y'all use GoToMeeting? That's the same functionality I'll be using, but tied into my Learning Management System so there's no extra work sharing the recording.
                        Citrix. And some people have a laptop with VPN (lucky). I have to make do with remote access. Luckily I just finished upgrading my home PC. New motherboard, new CPU, new memory, new SSD. And I have 200MBPS internet.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          You and your mom are at a nudist camp? Awkward...
                          Howzabout ya leave my dead mom out of this, Spanky.

Comment

Citrix. And some people have a laptop with VPN (lucky). I have to make do with remote access. Luckily I just finished upgrading my home PC. New motherboard, new CPU, new memory, new SSD. And I have 200MBPS internet.
                            200MBPS.

You're a gamer?

Comment

My boss just asked us all to make sure our remote access was working. I have a laptop with VPN access, so I could work from home a lot more but I don't really like it.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment