Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus is not a bug, it's a feature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Like you're not.
    Oh, I would so judge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Oh, I would so judge.
      What say we have a discussion with the fruit about possession being nine tenths of the law.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        MelMak said his grocery store was insane yesterday. Payday weekend combined with panic shopping.

We've been told by the government and others that might know better that Canada has "the best food supply chain in the world" and this panic buying is so totally unnecessary. I agree wholeheartedl.

they should be paying MelMak hazard pay!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          they should be paying MelMak hazard pay!
          It's quieted down a little, but the shelves are pretty bare. There's no flour today, no meat, they had no milk yesterday because the truck was delayed but they had milk this morning.

I managed to get a package of several boxes of tissue, but there was not a roll of toilet paper in sight. The produce was pretty good except they didn't get any apples in. I got potatoes and eggs and everything else on my list, but it's so disheartening to see how selfish and greedy people really are when the proverbial you-know-what hits the fan.

I said to my husband on the way home that this virus will be remembered for the extreme insanity of people's behaviour. So much for good will to your fellow man.

Hopefully in the next week they will get their supplies back to normal.......until the next payday weekend. Part of the problem is the month long blockade of the rail lines in this country. Which has disappeared from any news so I have no idea whether that's been resolved. That slowed down the supply exponentially to all areas of the country, and has added to the shortages we are experiencing now.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's quieted down a little, but the shelves are pretty bare. There's no flour today, no meat, they had no milk yesterday because the truck was delayed but they had milk this morning.

I managed to get a package of several boxes of tissue, but there was not a roll of toilet paper in sight. The produce was pretty good except they didn't get any apples in. I got potatoes and eggs and everything else on my list, but it's so disheartening to see how selfish and greedy people really are when the proverbial you-know-what hits the fan.

I said to my husband on the way home that this virus will be remembered for the extreme insanity of people's behaviour. So much for good will to your fellow man.

Hopefully in the next week they will get their supplies back to normal.......until the next payday weekend. Part of the problem is the month long blockade of the rail lines in this country. Which has disappeared from any news so I have no idea whether that's been resolved. That slowed down the supply exponentially to all areas of the country, and has added to the shortages we are experiencing now.
            One of the workers at a supermarket in Sydney was stabbed yesterday. What is going on? At least the jail might have toilet paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              One of the workers at a supermarket in Sydney was stabbed yesterday. What is going on?
              Nothing, probably. There's robbery and other crimes all the time. People just associate them with the pandemic because it's on everybody's mind right now.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                One of the workers at a supermarket in Sydney was stabbed yesterday. What is going on? At least the jail might have toilet paper.
                Absolutely despicable behaviour.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• It's a feature!
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• It's a feature!
                    Demi doubted, but clearly Wuhan flu is judgment of God.
                    Abortion Access Is Under Threat As Coronavirus Spreads
                    In many states, abortion clinics are holding on by a thread. The pandemic might put them under.
                    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/abort...b60fb69ddee6e9
                    If COVID-19 forces planned parenthood to be closed for 2 weeks, then it will have saved more lives than it has taken.
                    Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-19-2020, 09:43 PM.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• My workplace has finally developed a multi-phase pandemic staffing protocol. Problem is they haven't activated the more aggressive phase of the plan because....well I don't know, I guess they'd rather wait until things get bad. Which is insane, because I can do about 90% of my work from home if I have to. It's not ideal, but there's no real negative impact in working from home. We won't ever completely shut down because we're an emergency services agency.

But I'm concerned that we'll have unnecessary staffing shortages. My unit is about 20% of our workforce, and we could reasonably take steps to drastically reduce our chances of exposure. Because when the boots on the ground start getting sick, they'll use us to plug the gap. But our current trajectory is stupid because we're not taking steps to make sure our "reserve" staff don't get sick.

We have confirmed COVID-19 patients in multiple counties that immediately border our county, and about something like 50-100 people in our county in isolation who haven't tested positive (yet). The governor has ordered all restaurants closed for dine-in services and all public gatherings of 50 or more people are banned. Schools are closed, not likely to re-open any time soon. I'd guess in another week or three we'll see something like a shelter-in place order.

Luckily, my church had to make alterations early because they banned public gatherings of of 500, then 100 first, and on Sundays we average 800-1,000 people spread across multiple services. So I can hang-out at home and watch the sermon being streamed. Unfortunately, we don't really have any infrastructure in place for remote meetings of my small group. :(

The only real positive thing for me during this, as an emergency services is employee....I will definitely continue to get paid. :)
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Thrift stores closed yesterday indefinitely. While shopping for a handful of items today, found out that grocery stores are shutting down, too (caveat - perhaps open for people coming home from work); many sections of the Food Lion were practically barren of goods. Got what I could. The toddler is going to have to use boy diapers, because that was the only box left in her size - told her she needed to use the potty if she didn't want to use them.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I don't understand how the grocery stores can shut down. They are an essential service, aren't they?

Comment

I don't understand how the grocery stores can shut down. They are an essential service, aren't they?
                            I've read that some specialty grocery stores will be shutting down. Others are adjusting their hours. Sounds like rumor to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                              I've read that some specialty grocery stores will be shutting down. Others are adjusting their hours. Sounds like rumor to me.
                              I hope it doesn't become widespread with large stores. Our favourite store has designated the first open hour of each day for seniors. But so far they haven't changed their hours. My husband and I went on Friday early and at least got some meat. They seem to have lots of produce.

Comment

• Even in Italy, which has more stringent measures than here, the grocery stores remain open.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment