Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    A hoax is a deception. The dire warnings of health care experts, warnings picked up by Main Stream Media, was downplayed as fear mongering and deception.

What was Trump's message during this time period, the end of february and into March?

Remember, China quarantined the cities in the province of Hubei on 23 Jan, shut down businesses and schools entirely on 20 Feb. We in the US were looking at those measures as draconian, that our modern, western system would handle the epidemic.

And just how was the Trump administration handling it at the time of the remarks (end of February)?
    Jan 22: "We have it totally under control... It’s going to be just fine.”

Feb 6: "We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people... And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time."

Feb 27: "It’s going to disappear... One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear."

Feb 28: It's "their [the Democrat's] new hoax". - [I.e., that he wasn't doing anything about it see above.]

Feb 29: "everything is under control... Everything is really under control.

March 4: Trump calls the WHO’s estimate of the global death rate "false." He describes the coronavirus as "very mild". He suggests that those infected can get better "going to work."

March 7: "I’m not concerned at all". Trump goes on to explain that he would prefer the sick people stay on the cruise ship rather than disembark purely because that would keep the stats low regarding number of cases in the US rather than for any medical reason... "I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault".

March 9: Trump reiterates his mistaken view that the common flu is more deadly than COVID19.

March 10: Trump lies about the availability of tests kits, saying tests are available for anyone who wants one (they weren't).

March 16: "The virus is not under control - it’s not under control anywhere!"
    March 16: "We have a problem that a month ago nobody ever thought about.” [OMG he's a retard - he even said he knew it was a pandemic months ago]
    March 16: Trump lies about there being "precise Medical Screenings at airports" (there weren't).
    March 16: "I would rate it [my performance on dealing with the pandemic] a 10 [out of 10]." [even the dyed in the wool Trump sycophants here say that he made some mistakes]

March 17: Trump explains he Totally Knew All Along that it was going to be bad: "I’ve always known this is a real — this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic. I’ve always viewed it as very serious."
    March 24: Trump asks for foreign aid for medical supplies as the US didn't bother to prepare, aka. Trump is a retard.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Back to basic English. Trump calle the seriousness of the coronavirus a "hoax" and called it comparable to the 'common flu,' and it is a fact that he waited over two months to react an mobilize to address the pandemic. I deal in facts and plain English not polls and editorial opinions.
      You can keep pretending. You can even click your heels together while typing it. But that won't change reality and make it so. As Snopes clearly explained Trump

"likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying ‘this is their new hoax’."

This is also confirmed by the Associated Press

Source: Trump accuses Democrats of ‘hoax’ for criticizing virus plan

President Donald Trump lashed out Friday at Democrats who have questioned his handling of the coronavirus threat, calling their criticism a new “hoax” intended to undermine his leadership.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Not that he called the seriousness of the coronavirus a "hoax" as you contend.

When you have to make things up to support your position then you are admitting that your position is at best weak.
      Last edited by rogue06; 03-26-2020, 02:57 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
        Jan 22: "We have it totally under control... It’s going to be just fine.”

Feb 6: "WeÂ’re going to be pretty soon at only five people... And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time."

Feb 27: "It’s going to disappear... One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear."

Feb 28: It's "their [the Democrat's] new hoax". - [I.e., that he wasn't doing anything about it see above.]

Feb 29: "everything is under control... Everything is really under control.”

March 4: Trump calls the WHOÂ’s estimate of the global death rate "false." He describes the coronavirus as "very mild". He suggests that those infected can get better "going to work."

March 7: "IÂ’m not concerned at all". Trump goes on to explain that he would prefer the sick people stay on the cruise ship rather than disembark purely because that would keep the stats low regarding number of cases in the US rather than for any medical reason... "I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault".

March 9: Trump reiterates his mistaken view that the common flu is more deadly than COVID19.

March 10: Trump lies about the availability of tests kits, saying tests are available for anyone who wants one (they weren't).

March 16: "The virus is not under control - itÂ’s not under control anywhere!"
        March 16: "We have a problem that a month ago nobody ever thought about.” [OMG he's a retard - he even said he knew it was a pandemic months ago]
        March 16: Trump lies about there being "precise Medical Screenings at airports" (there weren't).
        March 16: "I would rate it [my performance on dealing with the pandemic] a 10 [out of 10]." [even the dyed in the wool Trump sycophants here say that he made some mistakes]

March 17: Trump explains he Totally Knew All Along that it was going to be bad: "I’ve always known this is a real — this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic. I’ve always viewed it as very serious."
        March 24: Trump asks for foreign aid for medical supplies as the US didn't bother to prepare, aka. Trump is a retard.
        Forgot some: On 29 Feb or 1 Mar: the most aggressive action in modern history to prevent the spread of this disease (restricting air travel from China)

But after a patient died, and the criticism ramped up, the narrative coming from Trump and his supporters changed.

Before patients, patients who were American citizens, started dying it was treated as a hoax, a nothing burger which American technology could resolve. The really bizarre thing is that difficulty American politicians had in accepting the idea,, acting on the evidence, that the virus could spread from American person to American person. What makes it so bizarre is that it is compared to the influenza.

Maybe the most telling is the 4 Mar comment on the WHO inaccuracy on the death rate. This is after the reports on Wuhan (and the Hubei province) being locked down in enforced quarantine.

Tests are available for anyone who wants one. No quote shows the disconnect, even ten days after the statement, since front line health care workers did not have it available!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You can keep pretending. You can even click your heels together while typing it. But that won't change reality and make it so. As Snopes clearly explained Trump

"likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying ‘this is their new hoax’."

This is also confirmed by the Associated Press

Source: Trump accuses Democrats of ‘hoax’ for criticizing virus plan

President Donald Trump lashed out Friday at Democrats who have questioned his handling of the coronavirus threat, calling their criticism a new “hoax” intended to undermine his leadership.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Not that he called the seriousness of the coronavirus a "hoax" as you contend.

When you have to make things up to support your position then you are admitting that your position is at best weak.
          My position is based on actually what Trump stated, and the fact that he delayed any government action for more than two months. Read Zara's post for an accurate timeline.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            My position is based on actually what Trump stated, and the fact that he delayed any government action for more than two months. Read Zara's post for an accurate timeline.
            From CNBC (anything but a pro-Trump source):

President Donald Trump said Friday that Democrats are using the virulent coronavirus as a “hoax” to damage him and his administration.

“The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus,” he said from a campaign rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

“One of my people came up to me and said ‘Mr. President they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well.’ They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation,” he continued.

“This is their new hoax,” he said, referring to the coronavirus.

Nothing whatsoever about the seriousness about the Chicom coronavirus.

He was talking about the Democrat's trying to use it to attack him and declaring that is the hoax.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

From CNBC (anything but a pro-Trump source):

President Donald Trump said Friday that Democrats are using the virulent coronavirus as a “hoax” to damage him and his administration.

“The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus,” he said from a campaign rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

“One of my people came up to me and said ‘Mr. President they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well.’ They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation,” he continued.

“This is their new hoax,” he said, referring to the coronavirus.

Nothing whatsoever about the seriousness about the Chicom coronavirus.

He was talking about the Democrat's trying to use it to attack him and declaring that is the hoax.
              Nothing whatsoever about the seriousness of the coronavirus...... within that short clip. But for weeks prior, Trump was actively and continually downplaying the potential of the virus. but even within the same speech Trump was insisting that he had it all under control, no need to worry about any effects of the disease.

Comment

Nothing whatsoever about the seriousness of the coronavirus...... within that short clip. But for weeks prior, Trump was actively and continually downplaying the potential of the virus. but even within the same speech Trump was insisting that he had it all under control, no need to worry about any effects of the disease.

You can't even just admit that he never called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax or that the seriousness of it was a hoax.

You gotta add your 00000000000000a00aa2b.gif

He was trying to prevent a panic which would exacerbate the situation making it many times worse. And I notice you guys always seem to find it necessary to provide your interpretation rather than actual quotes for some reason.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43548[/ATTACH]

You can't even just admit that he never called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax or that the seriousness of it was a hoax.

You gotta add your [ATTACH=CONFIG]43549[/ATTACH]
                  Depends how literal you are (for some reason you have not always relied on such a wooden literalism).

He was trying to prevent a panic which would exacerbate the situation making it many times worse. And I notice you guys always seem to find it necessary to provide your interpretation rather than actual quotes for some reason.
                  A course of action taken by the Chicoms themselves. The Chinese policies which backfired in the arena of public opinion, both domestic and foreign.

Try the line about quotes vs interpretation on some evangelicals and see how you are laughed at when the discussion moves to Complementrianism, the Calvinist/Arminian divide, or the works/salvation, or baptism debates. Each of those biblical controversies continue because of interpretation.

Read the transcripts of that speech. But I wonder how it will fare after a decade; I suspect that it will become a topic in which no one will admit to ever having lived through it and agreed!

Comment

Depends how literal you are (for some reason you have not always relied on such a wooden literalism).

A course of action taken by the Chicoms themselves. The Chinese policies which backfired in the arena of public opinion, both domestic and foreign.

Try the line about quotes vs interpretation on some evangelicals and see how you are laughed at when the discussion moves to Complementrianism, the Calvinist/Arminian divide, or the works/salvation, or baptism debates. Each of those biblical controversies continue because of interpretation.

Read the transcripts of that speech. But I wonder how it will fare after a decade; I suspect that it will become a topic in which no one will admit to ever having lived through it and agreed!
                    Us: “China lied and people died.”

Simplicio: “Have you heard of these theological beliefs I don’t agree with, how terrible.”

Have you demanded payment yet?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

A hoax is a deception.
                      Yes, and the Democrats and their media allies attempted to deceive the American people by falsely claiming that the Trump administration wasn't doing enough despite being one of the first to begin closing borders in late January, a decision for which liberals branded the President racist and xenophobic.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Us: “China lied and people died.”

Simplicio: “Have you heard of these theological beliefs I don’t agree with, how terrible.”

Have you demanded payment yet?
                        Everyone knows China covered-up the outbreak, and Mexico covered-up the swine flu, and Russia covered-up Chernoble. That has nothing to do with the way Trump mis-handled the crisis once it was known. It's true that democrats criticized Trumps handling of the crisis, and that's what Trump called a hoax. But it wasn't a hoax, he covered up the seriousness of the crisis himself either through ignorance or purposeful misinformation and a lack of immediate action. Did he really believe that people should just go about their business as usual and that the virus, like a miracle, would just disappear by april. By his slow reaction time, apparently he did believe that, and that will most probably contribute to more deaths and a much bigger hit on the economy.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Everyone knows China covered-up the outbreak, and Mexico covered-up the swine flu, and Russia covered-up Chernoble. That has nothing to do with the way Trump mis-handled the crisis once it was known. It's true that democrats criticized Trumps handling of the crisis, and that's what Trump called a hoax. But it wasn't a hoax, he covered up the seriousness of the crisis himself either through ignorance or purposeful misinformation and a lack of immediate action. Did he really believe that people should just go about their business as usual and that the virus, like a miracle, would just disappear by april. By his slow reaction time, apparently he did believe that, and that will most probably contribute to more deaths and a much bigger hit on the economy.

And did:

The US arrest doctors warning others of a threatening new disease?
                          Destroyed samples, to keep the truth from getting out?
                          Lied to the world about the nature of this new disease?

China thanks you for blaming Trump for doing what other leaders did. They have less work to do when useful idiots do their work for them.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And did:

The US arrest doctors warning others of a threatening new disease?
                            Destroyed samples, to keep the truth from getting out?
                            Lied to the world about the nature of this new disease?

China thanks you for blaming Trump for doing what other leaders did. They have less work to do when useful idiots do their work for them.
                            I didn't blame Trump for what China did, I blamed Trump for what Trump did, or didn't do, once he was informed about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              I didn't blame Trump for what China did, I blamed Trump for what Trump did, or didn't do, once he was informed about it.
                              And what had Trump done different, that other countries have? I await your list.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And what had Trump done different, that other countries have? I await your list.
                                South Korea and Japan reacted immediately and proactively, and have the virus 'under control.' Trump failed to act for more than two months.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment