Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    South Korea and Japan reacted immediately and proactively, and have the virus 'under control.' Trump failed to act for more than two months.
    Small, heavily urbanized countries, with most of the population willing to follow viral controls vs a large, heavily spread out country, where many are simply ignoring the controls and doing what they want anyway. Yep, totally the same thing!
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

South Korea and Japan reacted immediately and proactively, and have the virus 'under control.' Trump failed to act for more than two months.
      For some strange reason y'all always leave out the fact that Trump closed off travel from China back in January, something that Dr. Fauci, praised saying that "if we had not done that, we would have had many, many more cases right here that we would have to be dealing with."

Trump's action bought us valuable time and yet how did the left respond? How else but to employee their knee jerk response:

Of course other countries started following suit immediately afterwards.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Trump has made probably his worst statement yet of the crisis. On a FOX News interview:

“It’s a two-way street,” Trump told Fox News on Tuesday. “They have to treat us well, also. They can’t say, ‘Oh, gee, we should get this, we should get that.’”
        The context is of requests made for help to the federal government. most specifically for medical gear and ventilators. This is especially problematic given the problems states have experienced in outbidding the feds for these ventilators. This seems like an unethical quid pro quo situation that is unsuitable for a national emergency.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Apparently some critics are upset that the mainstream media airing Trump's regular press briefings is making him appear competent and making it harder for liberals to control the narrative.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...ook-competent/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            . This seems like an unethical quid pro quo situation that is unsuitable for a national emergency.
            The past week saw a massive quid pro quo bargaining struggle in Congress that delayed helicopter money to people and businesses that need it. Politics doesn't stop just because it's a crisis.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              The past week saw a massive quid pro quo bargaining struggle in Congress that delayed helicopter money to people and businesses that need it. Politics doesn't stop just because it's a crisis.
              Both sides were throwing a little manure around, but in the end they did reach an agreement, and in the Senate the vote was 100%. The House nod is for approval.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Small, heavily urbanized countries, with most of the population willing to follow viral controls vs a large, heavily spread out country, where many are simply ignoring the controls and doing what they want anyway. Yep, totally the same thing!
                You asked!

Yep, totally the same thing. They responded immediately, and Trump responded over two months later. I am not saying what the result would be. I am simply stating the fact of lack of response on the part of Trump when the virus was first documented and spreading in the USA.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  For some strange reason y'all always leave out the fact that Trump closed off travel from China back in January, something that Dr. Fauci, praised saying that "if we had not done that, we would have had many, many more cases right here that we would have to be dealing with."

Trump's action bought us valuable time and yet how did the left respond? How else but to employee their knee jerk response:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43573[/ATTACH]

Of course other countries started following suit immediately afterwards.
                  Trump made no effort to mobilize efforts to control the virus in the USA when it was known to be here and spreading. Remember 'it was only like the common flu.'

Frank

Comment

Both sides were throwing a little manure around, but in the end they did reach an agreement, and in the Senate the vote was 100%. The House nod is for approval.
                    Actually the republican favored bill had 500 billion going into a corporate slush fund, to do with what they pleased, (stock buybacks, CEO pay, whatever) no strings attached, to be distributed to whatever corporate businesses the administration chose, including of course Trumps own businesses, with no congressional oversight. That provision is gone thanks only to the democrats push back. That money now has to go directly to the employees. Republican congressmen prove once again where their allegiance lies.

Comment

Trump made no effort to mobilize efforts to control the virus in the USA when it was known to be here and spreading. Remember 'it was only like the common flu.'
                      Actually Trump did not have any malicious intent concerning his failure to mobilize the USA against the coronavirus. IT is simply his incompetance as the PResident and the failure to lead the nation when needed, and the fact that money motivates everything in Trump's life.

The Emperor has no clothes.

Frank

Comment

Actually Trump did not have any malicious intent concerning his failure to mobilize the USA against the coronavirus. IT is simply his incompetance as the PResident and the failure to lead the nation when needed, and the fact that money motivates everything in Trump's life.

The Emperor has no clothes.
                        Money isn't his only motivator. He's also motivated by taking apart anything that was part of the Obama administration (he's been pissed at Obama since he was laughed at during the press dinner) and rewarding loyalty/punishing opposition. Oh...and anything that fluffs his ego, of course.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You asked!

Yep, totally the same thing. They responded immediately, and Trump responded over two months later. I am not saying what the result would be. I am simply stating the fact of lack of response on the part of Trump when the virus was first documented and spreading in the USA.
                          Trump banned travel from China, in January. Try pulling the other leg.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Trump banned travel from China, in January. Try pulling the other leg.
                            January 31st to be exact. The W.H.O. was informed of the outbreak Dec.31st. Not to be to critical about that timeline, Trump took the advice of his top health officials. Thing is, most major airlines beat him to the punch and had already suspended travel from China. Problem there is that the virus had already spread around the world including in the U.S., first confirmed on January 21st, and it's from at that point on that Trump should of taken the bull by the horns, so to speak, instead of spreading misinformation as to its seriousness in the hopes that like a miracle it would just go away. He is still downplaying it now, no doubt in fear of its further disastrous effect on the economy. Trump definitely screwed up, didn't handle it well, and has continued in that vain to this day. Even prior to the outbreak in 2017, he disbanded the pandemic response team which would likely have known and warned Trump much sooner, relatively speaking. It's certainly not going well, whether you blame Trump for that or not, but as Truman said, the buck stops with him, with the president.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              January 31st to be exact. The W.H.O. was informed of the outbreak Dec.31st. Not to be to critical about that timeline, Trump took the advice of his top health officials.

1.)Thing is, most major airlines beat him to the punch and had already suspended travel from China.

2.)Problem there is that the virus had already spread around the world including in the U.S., first confirmed on January 21st, and it's from at that point on that Trump should of taken the bull by the horns, so to speak, instead of spreading misinformation as to its seriousness in the hopes that like a miracle it would just go away.

3.)He is still downplaying it now, no doubt in fear of its further disastrous effect on the economy.

4.)Trump definitely screwed up, didn't handle it well, and has continued in that vain to this day.

5.) Even prior to the outbreak in 2017, he disbanded the pandemic response team which would likely have known and warned Trump much sooner, relatively speaking. It's certainly not going well, whether you blame Trump for that or not, but as Truman said, the buck stops with him, with the president.
                              You mispelled vein, therefore everyone can discount anything in the post!

1 and 2 are tied together, we recognized the problem in China, and China itself was starting to reform its approach. We knew it was zoonotic (animal vectors involved), but we did not know how it was transmitted among humans. We knew that China locked down Wuhan and other cities, extreme measures. But we in the west attributed it to the totalitarian nature of the Chinese state and a move indicative of a failure of the medical response, not necessarily indicative of the nature of the disease. But we also knew that it was not tied to wet markets, it spread rapidly across the countryside.

3 and 4 are related. the disease was downplayed, but virus do not respond to the political rhetoric of Trump (a look at his history shows the continual theme of braggadocio, bullying, truth bending).

5 is harder. Would the team in the White House have really made a difference? I don't think so, the medical community followed the reports on the disease from the beginning, and I doubt whether a team would have had much influence on our response. I did not really disapprove of the move to disband it (and the resignation in protest by Admiral Ziemer). The expertise exists outside of the White House, and Hurricane Katrina demonstrates the complexity of disaster response can make multiple missteps turn into folly; there was a breakdown along the whole system which could not be foreseen. I would bet that there will be a biodefense team within the White House.

I live in NY and am not normally a fan of Andy Cuomo, but he has handled the response, and handled Trump well after his initial missteps. Cuomo, ever the political animal, switched gears and decided that if the buck didn't stop in Washington, Albany (NY capitol) would lead. And has, along with Sacramento and wherever Washington State has its capitol.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                January 31st to be exact. The W.H.O. was informed of the outbreak Dec.31st. Not to be to critical about that timeline, Trump took the advice of his top health officials. Thing is, most major airlines beat him to the punch and had already suspended travel from China. Problem there is that the virus had already spread around the world including in the U.S., first confirmed on January 21st, and it's from at that point on that Trump should of taken the bull by the horns, so to speak, instead of spreading misinformation as to its seriousness in the hopes that like a miracle it would just go away. He is still downplaying it now, no doubt in fear of its further disastrous effect on the economy. Trump definitely screwed up, didn't handle it well, and has continued in that vain to this day. Even prior to the outbreak in 2017, he disbanded the pandemic response team which would likely have known and warned Trump much sooner, relatively speaking. It's certainly not going well, whether you blame Trump for that or not, but as Truman said, the buck stops with him, with the president.
                                The WHO declared that there was no cases of human to human transmission, in January Jimmy. Again, pull the other leg. China lied, people died. Get out of your MSN bubble sometime, you might even learn something!
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment