Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For your information concerning my prediction of the course of the coronavirus. I believe the coronavirus will diminish and gradually fade in May,

I believe that the Coronavirus will follow a similar pattern as other virus that jump from animals to humans. At first they are very contagious and have a high death rate, as time progresses the death rate drops and the severity of the virus infection decreases in part with the development of our immunity. This pattern was followed in China for about three months+. This is the pattern that will likely be for the virus as it infected other populations. As time passes in all countries and the course of the infection over time the severity and the death rate will drop, and Coronavirus will become endemic with the human population and possibly will cycle at different times from humans to animals and humans to animals.

See some graphs and maps that reflect the nature of the coronavirus over time here.

Coronavirus Map: Tracking the Spread of the Outbreak

http://.nytimes.com/interactive/2020...irus.maps.html

This may be hard to load. You may have to do an independent search.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-14-2020, 08:32 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      For your information concerning my prediction of the course of the coronavirus. I believe the coronavirus will diminish and gradually fade in May,

I believe that the Coronavirus will follow a similar pattern as other virus that jump from animals to humans. At first they are very contagious and have a high death rate, as time progresses the death rate drops and the severity of the virus infection decreases in part with the development of our immunity. This pattern was followed in China for about three months+. This is the pattern that will likely be for the virus as it infected other populations. As time passes in all countries and the course of the infection over time the severity and the death rate will drop, and Coronavirus will become endemic with the human population and possibly will cycle at different times from humans to animals and humans to animals.

See some graphs and maps that reflect the nature of the coronavirus over time here.

The conclusion is that China did not defeat the coronavirus. The coronavirus is following its natural course in relation to humans.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The conclusion is that China did not defeat the coronavirus. The coronavirus is following its natural course in relation to humans.
        . . . nor can Donald Trump do victory laps in June.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post
          The average age of a Fox News watcher is 67. They tend to be men. The group most likely to die or be hospitalised to the virus.
          While the left likes to stereotype Fox News viewers as being old white men the fact is that describes the viewership of all cable news channels. Interestingly according to a 2018 NBC/WSJ poll those who watch MSNBC are slightly older:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            While the left likes to stereotype Fox News viewers as being old white men the fact is that describes the viewership of all cable news channels. Interestingly according to a 2018 NBC/WSJ poll those who watch MSNBC are slightly older:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43280[/ATTACH]
            Wrong meaning, try again.

Also where did you get your numbers? My initial source said 67, this one might be slightly more uptodate, but its a difference of two years, 65. Your number seems way off. Is that why you took a picture?
            Last edited by Zara; 03-15-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

What are you trying to achieve? I see a whole lot of blaming others for the failure of this administration to take the threat seriously. Until recently the line was there was nothing to worry about. That wasn't true. We know that is not true.
              Both you and shuny seem unwilling to address any of the posts that offer evidence that contradicts your narrative. Sure Trump tried to stem the panic that was sweeping the country being stoked by the MSM since panic never is productive and in fact exacerbates any situation making it much worse. His attempt failed. It was sort of like trying to use a broom to sweep back the sea.

But to say or imply that Trump didn't care or didn't understand the severity of the problem is not supported by the facts. He was warning us about this in January only to be mocked by folks just like you and shuny. Even earlier he signed Executive Order 13887.

But the TDS crowd studious ignores things like that and instead continues to push terminally debunked myths like he hamstrung the CDC and criticizing him for rejecting test kits that provided a false negative rate of 30% which are worse than useless since nearly a third of those tested who are infected with the coronavirus will be told they don't have it (and it was actually the CDC that rejected them not Trump).

Sure, not everything he's done has been perfect. There have been missteps. But I seriously doubt that any of the Democrats would have done any better. In fact Biden's proposals appear to have been directly plagiarized (something he has a history of doing) from what Trump has already done and proposed. In fact the major difference between them is that Biden wouldn't support any travel bans. And his naming a guy to his team of experts who thinks we should die at 75 doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
              Last edited by rogue06; 03-15-2020, 04:22 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wrong meaning, try again.

Also where did you get your numbers? My initial source said 67, this one might be slightly more uptodate, but its a difference of two years, 65. Your number seems way off. Is that why you took a picture?
                Um, I listed exactly where I got the numbers from.

Comment

. . . nor can Donald Trump do victory laps in June.
                  So instead of addressing the posts that directly responded to your OP like you demanded you choose to mutter to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    The Russkies are building a special hospital.
                    Following the Chinese lead? And it looks like one of them was slapped up with no concern for structural integrity resulting in it collapsing (that story is a week out of date, the last I heard is the death toll was 29 -- and that was three days ago)

Comment

Um, I listed exactly where I got the numbers from.
                      I found the source, which I asked for. I guess I stand corrected, it was the median at 65, though the article said the average.

Comment

I found the source, which I asked for. I guess I stand corrected, it was the median at 65, though the article said the average.
                        Wow, that's quite an accomplishment since I provided it in the single sentence that I wrote.

Comment

Following the Chinese lead? And it looks like one of them was slapped up with no concern for structural integrity resulting in it collapsing (that story is a week out of date, the last I heard is the death toll was 29 -- and that was three days ago)

Unlike the United States, where no structure has ever collapsed! Especially not any prefab construction.

I do have a question: Do you think additional hospital space, real estate devoted to clinical care, is needed?

Comment

Both you and shuny seem unwilling to address any of the posts that offer evidence that contradicts your narrative. Sure Trump tried to stem the panic that was sweeping the country being stoked by the MSM since panic never is productive and in fact exacerbates any situation making it much worse. His attempt failed. It was sort of like trying to use a broom to sweep back the sea.
                            You mean he lied, multiple times, blatantly, and didn't actually do the things that were needed. Yeah, we get it. He failed. Next.

But to say or imply that Trump didn't care or didn't understand the severity of the problem is not supported by the facts. He was warning us about this in January only to be mocked by folks just like you and shuny. Even earlier he signed Executive Order 13887.
                            Seeming a contradiction with your first paragraph, he was telling everyone about the risks while telling them there was no risk. Well done. An executive order that has nothing to do with the crisis, nothing. He failed. Next.

But the TDS crowd studious ignores things like that and instead continues to push terminally debunked myths like he hamstrung the CDC and criticizing him for rejecting test kits that provided a false negative rate of 30% which are worse than useless since nearly a third of those tested who are infected with the coronavirus will be told they don't have it (and it was actually the CDC that rejected them not Trump).
                            I actually read the opinion piece from the person he effectively fired, Beth Cameron as its Senior Director, when the White House's National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense, was dismantled in 2018. I don't know what everone else is talking about, however, this tool, which was set up to combat situations like this following the Ebola epidemic, was removed. I don't really see how that was a 'genius' move, do you?

Here is a nice quote: "Our team reported to a senior-level response coordinator on the National Security Council staff who could rally the government at the highest levels, as well as to the national security adviser and the homeland security adviser. This high-level domestic and global reporting structure wasn't an accident. It was a recognition that epidemics know no borders and that a serious, fast response is crucial. Our job was to be the smoke alarm — keeping watch to get ahead of emergencies, sounding a warning at the earliest sign of fire — all with the goal of avoiding a six-alarm blaze.

We partnered with federal departments and agencies as they monitored evolving outbreaks, triggering alarms for decision-makers when those outbreaks began to take on unusual or worrisome characteristics. Shortly before Trump took office, we were watching many health security threats, including a rising number of cases in China of H7N9 influenza, a deadly strain with high mortality but low transmissibility between people. Earlier, we had been tracking a large outbreak of yellow fever in Angola that threatened to sap the limited global supply of that vaccine, affecting the local population, international travelers, deployed citizens and troops. We were focused on naturally occurring diseases and potential bioterrorism — any and every biological threat that could cause a major global health and security emergency."

In other good news: https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...udget-n1155411

Sure, not everything he's done has been perfect. There have been missteps. But I seriously doubt that any of the Democrats would have done any better. In fact Biden's proposals appear to have been directly plagiarized (something he has a history of doing) from what Trump has already done and proposed. In fact the major difference between them is that Biden wouldn't support any travel bans. And his naming a guy to his team of experts who thinks we should die at 75 doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
                            Massive failure. Is what happened. Not 'missteps'. I'm not really interested in your whataboutism, what matters is the person in charge, their lack of leadership in the US, and frankly, on the global stage. Guess why.

And btw, you are the one suffering from TDS.
                            Last edited by Zara; 03-15-2020, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              Unlike the United States, where no structure has ever collapsed! Especially not any prefab construction.
                              Can't remember hearing of one collapsing roughly a month after being constructed and when it's full of people.

Pope Francis has told Catholics that they should quit being online trolls for Lent. Perhaps you should... oh, never mind. Considering how you constantly refer to Christians as being someone else it's pretty obvious that you're no longer Catholic.

Comment

You mean he lied, multiple times, blatantly, and didn't actually do the things that were needed. Yeah, we get it. He failed. Next.

Seeming a contradiction with your first paragraph, he was telling everyone about the risks while telling them there was no risk. Well done. An executive order that has nothing to do with the crisis, nothing. He failed. Next.

I actually read the opinion piece from the person he effectively fired, Beth Cameron as its Senior Director, when the White House's National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense, was dismantled in 2018. I don't know what everone else is talking about, however, this tool, which was set up to combat situations like this following the Ebola epidemic, was removed. I don't really see how that was a 'genius' move, do you?

Here is a nice quote: "Our team reported to a senior-level response coordinator on the National Security Council staff who could rally the government at the highest levels, as well as to the national security adviser and the homeland security adviser. This high-level domestic and global reporting structure wasn't an accident. It was a recognition that epidemics know no borders and that a serious, fast response is crucial. Our job was to be the smoke alarm — keeping watch to get ahead of emergencies, sounding a warning at the earliest sign of fire — all with the goal of avoiding a six-alarm blaze.

We partnered with federal departments and agencies as they monitored evolving outbreaks, triggering alarms for decision-makers when those outbreaks began to take on unusual or worrisome characteristics. Shortly before Trump took office, we were watching many health security threats, including a rising number of cases in China of H7N9 influenza, a deadly strain with high mortality but low transmissibility between people. Earlier, we had been tracking a large outbreak of yellow fever in Angola that threatened to sap the limited global supply of that vaccine, affecting the local population, international travelers, deployed citizens and troops. We were focused on naturally occurring diseases and potential bioterrorism — any and every biological threat that could cause a major global health and security emergency."

In other good news: https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...udget-n1155411

Massive failure. Is what happened. Not 'missteps'. I'm not really interested in your whataboutism, what matters is the person in charge, their lack of leadership in the US, and frankly, on the global stage. Guess why.

And btw, you are the one suffering from TDS.
                                I don't know what to make of this, and not because I disagree with the post.

How strong a response would have been a political possibility? Some have said we should have declared emergency much earlier, but the first community contracted case (as opposed contracting it overseas) occurred 30 Jan in the US. I saw a headline today that Limbaugh likened this virus to the common cold. I do not know what he said, my point is that there is no real political consensus.

If US health care meets the challenge and is effective (limited fatalities), then the political will to strengthen epidemic response will collapse; the argument will be that covid 19 was a nothing burger.

Edit to add: I should clarify my position: we need to strengthen, not weaken, our public health service capabilities. We should strengthen and realign the Public Health Service, ensure tighter cooperation between the multiple and complex interrelated agencies.
                                Last edited by simplicio; 03-15-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment