Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Your tin foil hat is showing. Got any evidence that someone involved in advising presidents in infectious disease, for roughly 35 years, is the least bit intimated?
    I think it was your link to the article from the federalist which gave the example of the NY Times posting the story of Dr Fauci's associates claiming he said that he was told to filter information. I did not say intimidated.

Trump has a track record going back decades on his views of disloyalty, if the last few years as president are not enough. To stay in the administration to influence policy, one must toe the partisan line. And fauci knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

I know, I know. The MSM just hates Trump so much, they manufacture such false claims out of thin air.
      They do hate Trump so much that some were trying to get folks to call the coronavirus the Trumpvirus and saying "if you're feeling awful, you know who to blame" (New York Times) and even got a hyper-partisan like Debbie Dingell (D-MI) to chastise them for taking "cheap shots" when they tried to get her to bash Trump (CNN).

"You know what? I don’t think this is a time to take shots... Taking cheap shots at people right now is not the thing to do."
      Last edited by rogue06; 03-18-2020, 02:27 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think it was your link to the article from the federalist which gave the example of the NY Times posting the story of Dr Fauci's associates claiming he said that he was told to filter information. I did not say intimidated.

Trump has a track record going back decades on his views of disloyalty, if the last few years as president are not enough. To stay in the administration to influence policy, one must toe the partisan line. And fauci knows that.
        Hate to tell you this, but Obama likely would have said the same thing.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Hate to tell you this, but Obama likely would have said the same thing.
          What do you mean "likely"? We have historical record.

Obama at least listened to his science advisers, which is quite the opposite of Trump (who has a natural instinct for science).

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...al_taboolafeed

Trump has been in outright denial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUP95sw1IM

And while real life doctors are frustrated by the lack of testing ability, posters here believe the reality TV president who insists on the opposite.

Comment

The following is the best source to follow the coronavirus on line: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Obama at least listened to his science advisers, which is quite the opposite of Trump (who has a natural instinct for science).

And while real life doctors are frustrated by the lack of testing ability, posters here believe the reality TV president who insists on the opposite.
              My source is a well known doctor, which is an expert in immunology, that has worked with infectious diseases, for over 30 years. Yours is an opinion piece, by a journalist, that mostly writes about Country Music. Hummm... whom should I listen to...
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-18-2020, 08:13 AM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My source is a well known doctor, which is an expert in immunology, that has worked with infectious diseases, for over 30 years. Yours is an opinion piece, by a journalist, that mostly writes about Country Music. Hummm... whom should I listen to...
                Your source for "Obama would have likely done the same thing" is a doctor and an expert in immunology! Does that doctor have access to google?

While the 2009 response was not without its problems (when are men ever perfect?), it was successful and science based. Trump has been at odds with science and his science advisers at each step of this epidemic.

Comment

Your source for "Obama would have likely done the same thing" is a doctor and an expert in immunology! Does that doctor have access to google?

While the 2009 response was not without its problems (when are men ever perfect?), it was successful and science based. Trump has been at odds with science and his science advisers at each step of this epidemic.
                  Doctor, who has advised presidents for 35 years on infectious diseases.
                  Country Music Journalist

It’s so hard picking who I should listen to on the presidents response to this latest crisis!

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Doctor, who has advised presidents for 35 years on infectious diseases.
                    Country Music Journalist

It’s so hard picking who I should listen to on the presidents response to this latest crisis!

Ahem, please post a link to support your assertion: "Obama would likely have done the same thing [as Trump]". Which is why I asked if your expert knows how to use a search engine.

There are oodles of articles comparing 2009 and 2020 responses. And those that do are debunked on the fact check sites.

Comment

The idea Obama, or Clinton, or Bush, or Reagan or (pick your favorite modern president prior to 2016) would have acted in denial as Trump did up to the last few days is pure fantasy.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-18-2020, 09:00 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        The idea Obama, or Clinton, or Bush, or Reagan or (pick your favorite modern president prior to 2016) would have acted in denial as Trump did up to the last few days is pure fantasy.
                        Indeed. We have bureaucracies in place, NIH, CDC, Homeland Security, with professionals who have at least planned for a response.

Comment

Ahem, please post a link to support your assertion: "Obama would likely have done the same thing [as Trump]". Which is why I asked if your expert knows how to use a search engine.

There are oodles of articles comparing 2009 and 2020 responses. And those that do are debunked on the fact check sites.
                          I already linked to it, but you’re welcome to explain how you think another president would have reacted, in a similar situation and explain how and why. I can wait.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Evidence that the reaction would be different is...

Can you think of any President that would have liked the idea of putting the brakes on the economy, to respond with mass isolation, massive school shutdowns, etc to stop a spread of a disease? I doubt many would have liked that idea either.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-18-2020, 09:17 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I already linked to it, but you’re welcome to explain how you think another president would have reacted, in a similar situation and explain how and why. I can wait.
                              Swine flu of 2009. We have the historical records of two presidents. Obama actually listened to his science types, he did not trust his "scientific instincts" as does The Donald.

Where did you link to your authoritative source (or are you 'making it up as you go along'?)

Comment

Swine flu of 2009. We have the historical records of two presidents. Obama actually listened to his science types, he did not trust his "scientific instincts" as does The Donald.

Where did you link to your authoritative source (or are you 'making it up as you go along'?)
                                And did Obama shut down much of the country?

You seem to keep forgetting this key detail. Why?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment