Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Evidence that the reaction would be different is...
    available on any news day for the last 3.5 years. But a good example would be his recent attempt to rewrite history and claim he 'always knew' it would be a pandemic and bad.

But I'll not argue with you beyond this post. It is absolute ignorance to pretend any other president has been as steeped in lies and denial as this one, especially as we have watched him evolve on the coronavirus issue. And absolute ignorance is not subject to the call of reason.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      available on any news day for the last 3.5 years. But a good example would be his recent attempt to rewrite history and claim he 'always knew' it would be a pandemic and bad.

But I'll not argue with you beyond this post. It is absolute ignorance to pretend any other president has been as steeped in lies and denial as this one, especially as we have watched him evolve on the coronavirus issue. And absolute ignorance is not subject to the call of reason.
      Don Lemon-trump is gaslighting you https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...us-ctn-vpx.cnn

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Avoidance noted, now answer the question:

What evidence do you have, to show other presidents would have done better?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Don lemon is gaslighting you not Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            My source is a well known doctor, which is an expert in immunology, that has worked with infectious diseases, for over 30 years. Yours is an opinion piece, by a journalist, that mostly writes about Country Music. Hummm... whom should I listen to...
            His source told him what he wants to hear, which is basically "orange man bad," so naturally that's who he will listen to.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your source for "Obama would have likely done the same thing" is a doctor and an expert in immunology! Does that doctor have access to google?

This from the clown who derides the idea of being careful about what you touch as 'The "cooties" theory of transmission. You touched it, you got it.'

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I do know that if Hillary was president and did everything exactly the same as Trump, the media would now be gushing about her resolve and confident leadership in a time of crisis.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I do know that if Hillary was president and did everything exactly the same as Trump, the media would now be gushing about her resolve and confident leadership in a time of crisis.
                  You know that, do you? Besides the fact that, no, you don't know that, it is also doubtful that Clinton would have done everything exactly the same as Trump to begin with. For one thing it's highly doubtful that she would have disbanded the very Pandemic Response Team that was established by the administration that she worked for. It's also unlikely that she would have rejected the testing kits offered by the W.H.O. and delayed the most important part of containing the spread of the virus, or that she would have lied to the public about the seriousness of the pandemic which misinformation was also detrimental to containment.
                  Last edited by JimL; 03-18-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    You know that, do you?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      It doesn't matter who was president - if they had said it was under control when it was not, or that it would just go away, or they had expressed their desire to avoid messing up the numbers by keeping people on a boat with infected patiesnts after a disaster doing just that in Japan, they would have been reamed up one side and down the other for the plain idiocy of saying things that are that stupid.

At the same time, Trump does seem to finally be engaging and listening. The past few days we are finally seeing him do good things and he seems to have begun to put the full weight of his good qualities (fearlessness, resolve, determination) into engaging this problem. And in the end, that is a good thing.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-18-2020, 07:56 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• I think any leader of a group, organisation, or country is going to have difficulty pleasing everyone in a situation like this. Whatever they do, someone is going to see is as an unnecessary over-reaction, and someone else as too little, too late.

What exactly is the correct thing for the leader of a country to do, and when exactly should they do it? There are no absolutely clear-cut answers on that is this situation, even more so since each country's circumstances vary. What might be the correct thing for country A right now might not be correct for country B until later.

Also, leaders have to balance factors that medical experts et al don't. They have to consider the effects on:

a country's economy (extreme measures taken too early could hurt the people they want to help, and make taking those measures later more difficult). Where I live there are a lot of people who are self-employed and live day-to-day, selling food, doing odd jobs, taxi drivers, labourers etc. Those people cannot support themselves on savings, or go for more than a few days without work - no work, no food, no rent.

people's morale (hence their public pronouncements may convey an optimism that is perhaps unwarranted). If a leader came out and said "Well, no matter what we do, about 15% of the people over 65 will die..." how would that go over? It might be true, but it might also be unhelpful to say it.

people's ability to maintain self-discipline under lock-down conditions - if they institute a lock-down too early, people may not be able or willing to keep it going when it's really needed.

I wish posters here would stop with the political partisanship in other threads that are about coronavirus and focus on facts, events and happenings rather than 'who is to blame.'
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          His source told him what he wants to hear, which is basically "orange man bad," so naturally that's who he will listen to.
                          The well known doctor (and I don't know which doctor) has shown what exactly? All across the country, doctors, who are not well known but are toiling in ERs are dealing with the reality.

The TDS is evident here, it is Trump supporters who have lost any anchor to reality, The Donald has declared testing for all, and the actual clinical doctors can be ignored.

What do you mean "likely"? We have historical record.

Obama at least listened to his science advisers, which is quite the opposite of Trump (who has a natural instinct for science).

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...al_taboolafeed

Trump has been in outright denial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUP95sw1IM

And while real life doctors are frustrated by the lack of testing ability, posters here believe the reality TV president who insists on the opposite.
                          Pixie's argument has morphed. Not really surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

This from the clown who derides the idea of being careful about what you touch as 'The "cooties" theory of transmission. You touched it, you got it.'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43341[/ATTACH]
                            Given the arguments made by Pixie, that summary was accurate. Your summary is dishonest trolling.

Wiping down carts needs mask and gloves? We have over a century of experience since the germ theory took hold. There is a difference between disinfecting, sanitizing, and cleaning.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              The well known doctor (and I don't know which doctor) has shown what exactly? All across the country, doctors, who are not well known but are toiling in ERs are dealing with the reality.

The TDS is evident here, it is Trump supporters who have lost any anchor to reality, The Donald has declared testing for all, and the actual clinical doctors can be ignored.

Pixie's argument has morphed. Not really surprising.
                              Not really, you’re just not smart enough to follow along. You keep asking “What doctor” when I produced the link, with the doctor’s name, title, and relevant words awhile ago. Troll away though, that’s all you’re good at.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                                Given the arguments made by Pixie, that summary was accurate. Your summary is dishonest trolling.

Wiping down carts needs mask and gloves? We have over a century of experience since the germ theory took hold. There is a difference between disinfecting, sanitizing, and cleaning.

That’s a great strawman, come back when you can understand the argument that was made. Let me make it easy for you to grasp:

If you wipe down an object with no PPE, but you yourself are infected. Has your work on wiping down equipment done anything?

What we know:

1. Asymptomatic people are believed to play a role in the spread of this virus.
                                2. A person, may spend as much as 14 days until showing signs.
                                3. Children and young adults may not show any signs, but may play a role in spreading the disease.
                                4. The disease can live on steel and plastic, for up to three days and cardboard up to 24 hours.

Now let’s combine these facts and see if you can grasp what I said. Can you?
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-19-2020, 10:17 AM.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment