Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Fauci says the Trump administration acted "acted very, very early" to contain the spread of the Chinese coronavirus.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      For the claim you made, Pix. The one I responded to.

ETA: Never mind. I just realized that you phrased the claim so vaguely you can essentially adjust it to mean anything. Further discussion is pointless. Consider my request withdrawn.

AKA the Carp Hand wave.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Jimmy, who builds our medical PPE?
        Lilpix, why are you asking stupid questions? It's been 3 months, it shouldn't be that hard to have protective masks and gowns produced to protect health care providers at risk. Like testing kits, the U.S. still doesn't have enough to go around. There is something called the Defense Production Act, which the president can put into effect in order to see that companies adjust to produce the stuff needed in emergencies. Our healthcare workers are already at risk, they shouldn't have to go to work knowing they don't even have protective gear.
        Last edited by JimL; 04-01-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Dr. Fauci says the Trump administration acted "acted very, very early" to contain the spread of the Chinese coronavirus.
          What do you think, Fauci wants to be fired for being disloyal? The only thing Trump acted quickly on was his misinformation campaqign. He's not even acting quickly now, he doesn't even seem to recognize the seriousness of the problem yet. Now he's trying to point the finger at the governors, saying that it's the states that responded to slowly. What a putz!

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            The Asian Review reports close ties between Tedros of WHO and China

Title: Did WHO's China ties slow decision to declare emergency?
            Link: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...lare-emergency

Tedros is bought and paid for by China. It is hard to know what China wanted with the payments to Ethiopia but we can expect that Tedros was beholden to whatever message China wanted to say concerning viruses.
            That Tedros is beholden to the Chinese government for getting the position of Director-General at WHO has been brought up several times. What is telling is how at the behest of them he condemned efforts to restrict travel from China and even more so how he never admonished the Chicoms for deliberately lying to him and WHO about the virus not being transmitted human-to-human but instead keeps praising them for their "transparency" in handling the outbreak despite the multiple cover-ups and intentional lying

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              What do you think, Fauci wants to be fired for being disloyal? The only thing Trump acted quickly on was his misinformation campaqign. He's not even acting quickly now, he doesn't even seem to recognize the seriousness of the problem yet. Now he's trying to point the finger at the governors, saying that it's the states that responded to slowly. What a putz!
              And back to the claim that he's Trump's puppet if he doesn't condemn Trump at every turn. You are sooo predictable.

Meanwhile a number of experts have stepped forward to agree with Fauci's assessment. Here are just a few:

Dr. Marc Siegel, Professor of Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center: "I think [Trump] made a very robust response to travel. I definitely agree with Dr. Fauci that [the travel bans] decreased the number of cases that we’re seeing here in the United States right now."

Dr. Stephen Redd, Director of Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response at the Center of Disease Control (CDC): "Within weeks of identifying the outbreak ... the restriction of travel from China reduced travel by 90%. I think that was a very helpful move to prevent more cases from China coming into the United States."

Dr. Betsy McCaughey, Chairman of the Committee to Reduce Infection Deaths (RID) wrt to Trump's travel bans: "The President is doing exactly the right thing by attempting to keep this coronavirus from becoming endemic inside the United States."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Since it's actually from late November to 14th January, less than two.
                November, December, January, how many months is that, mr nitpick…
                Late November to 14th January is less than two months. 30th December (when the WHO were apparently informed) to 14th Jan is less than one month. You're including all of November and all of January in the time period just so you can pretend you weren't wrong when you said the WHO knew covid-19 was contagious among humans for months before Jan 14th. They hadn't known that for months, and they couldn't have known that for months.

You were clearly wrong, and as usual you are attempting to divert, distract, distort, dismiss, discount and disgust rather than admit your error.
                ... and this assumes that the CCP is telling the truth and didn’t hear about it in early November or even late October as some suggest.
                Late October? That's insane. The WHO could not possibly have known in late October about something that didn't happen until November. You're grasping at non-existent straws.
                The WHO reported an incorrect fact, in mid January, correct? How imbedded is the WHO, with China? Did they independently confirm this? Is it true that the head of the WHO, owes his position thanks to the support of China? How is it slander, if it’s true? Billions of people were purposely mislead by the Chinese and the WHO was at the very least, an unwitting partner in this deception. Is that not true either?
                I don't know whether any of those things are true, nor will I take your word for any of it. Nor are they relevant to whether the WHO knew about human transmission for months before Jan 14th. That's an error that you're now promoting to a lie.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I would also, and a response concerning his bogus accusations concerning WHO
                  'Her', not 'his'. Also you missed out a "not" earlier.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

What do you want evidence for?

China lying?
                    The WHO repeating those lies?
                    The Chinese engaging in cover ups?
                    The Chinese destroying lab samples?

Are any of those facts, false?
                    I'd like evidence for your claims that
                    - the WHO knew about human-to-human transmission of Covid-19 months before Jan 14th
                    - the WHO and/or the CCP knew about Covid-19 in October.

But none will be forthcoming, because you were spouting malignant nationalist ignorance as usual.
                    Last edited by Roy; 04-01-2020, 04:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Yes - they are - but those are more complex to make and it has only been days since the production orders were put in place. We have known we needed test kits for at LEAST a month now. Its one of the first things everyone was screaming for - because without them we are (as many governors have said) flying blind. We cannot even accurately predict the number of PPEs and ventilators needed without the data from the testing.

This is a major gaff on the part of the administration. If other countries are testing at rate X per capita, we should be able to test at at LEAST that rate. Otherwise, the U.S. has to acknowledge it is worse at planning and manufacturing than the countries that are cleaning our clock.

And please do not give me "China lied" or "the test kits had false negatives " or "we're not a disctatorship." China lied to everyone - not just us - and we have one of the better intelligence communities and they were already warning Trump about the lying in January. And the false negatives is a false story. AFAIK, the only test kits known to have 30-50% false negatives were the ones China was using. And the countries that are beating us on testing include such democracies as S. Korea, Germany, and Italy, Spain, and Switzerland.
                      They lied, and we knew they lied. Why, the Chinese were telling fibs for months on end! (Hmmmm, how many cases did they have to study throughout December?)

And that STILL does not excuse Trump for lying about "having the testing under control." We demonstrably don't. As a result, our data about the number of cases is probably WAY off. NY is the most aggressive and probably has the best numbers.
                      They did have testing under control. We were able to test the entire NBA, and the Vice President as well as the cabinet members. Ain't America Great? We were able to test the elites in America, so kwityerbellyachin.

For the first time since 2006 (when att'y gen of NYS) I have a high regard for Cuomo. Might even write in his name for president!

Comment

And Shuny, when did the doctors decide to sound the alarm? What did the CCP do, when they sounded the alarm? Why did the WHO repeat there was no person to person spread, when China likely knew that wasn’t true far earlier?
                        Sources please concerning your bogus claims concerning WHO.

The first reported case in the newspaper in November was not a big deal. By December it was reported as virus that was contagious and WHO was notified. I gave the documented source of how WHO was involved. There is no evidence that there is anything else to this.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          You're right, he's obviously lying. That's the only explanation.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                            They lied, and we knew they lied. Why, the Chinese were telling fibs for months on end! (Hmmmm, how many cases did they have to study throughout December?)
                            Yes, they lied - and are probably still lying. And yes, we knew they were lying. By January the Intel community was warning Trump about the deception of China. Brokers were selling holdings in anticipation of the pandemic. The WHO was declaring an emergency. Countries around the world were raising alarms. Trump organized a task force, closed some borders, and told everyone it would be alright and it would go to zero. Since then, his actions have been on and off again, and his messaging has been a horrific blend of fact and fiction. He's turned the daily briefings into a replacement for his campaign rallies.

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                            They did have testing under control. We were able to test the entire NBA, and the Vice President as well as the cabinet members. Ain't America Great? We were able to test the elites in America, so kwityerbellyachin.

For the first time since 2006 (when att'y gen of NYS) I have a high regard for Cuomo. Might even write in his name for president!
                            I too have found Cuomo impressive. Newsom in California is also impressive. The atmosphere in the Trump administration, where you have to praise the holder of the executive office before you can really do anything, and you are punished if you don't, is toxic. I cannot wait until he is gone.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Lilpix, why are you asking stupid questions? It's been 3 months, it shouldn't be that hard to have protective masks and gowns produced to protect health care providers at risk. Like testing kits, the U.S. still doesn't have enough to go around. There is something called the Defense Production Act, which the president can put into effect in order to see that companies adjust to produce the stuff needed in emergencies. Our healthcare workers are already at risk, they shouldn't have to go to work knowing they don't even have protective gear.
                              I can understand why you don’t want to answer, but China controls the medical supply industry and has been keeping much of it, in their own country since they have been using lots of it themselves. You’re also aware that factories are not retooled over night and it does take time to retool and adjust to building a new product, don’t you?
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Sources please concerning your bogus claims concerning WHO.

The first reported case in the newspaper in November was not a big deal. By December it was reported as virus that was contagious and WHO was notified. I gave the documented source of how WHO was involved. There is no evidence that there is anything else to this.
                                These are bogus? So what claim do you deny so I can slam you on it?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment