Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I can. I did. You couldn't be bothered to read my earlier post, so I can't be bothered to do any more research which you will ignore.
    No you didn’t because you didn’t understand the argument made. The argument was not things can’t be produced fast, by a country, it was it takes time for a factory to retool, rebuild, and retrain to build whole new products. I’m sure Cessna, Boeing, Beechcraft, etc had no real issues building aircraft since they build aircraft. I doubt Ford was quite so fast.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Yes - it is likely to be more of a challenge - depending on the specific sector/location/product.

These generalized observations you are making do not appear to address the core issue: little is being done to act on the Defense Production Act and even begin getting what is needed moving. What is happening thus far is, AFAICT, largely the result of private action hampered by a lack of coordination and executive effort needing to deal with the logistics. Only recently have steps been taken to stop the price gouging, but there is still no coordination of resources between states to ensure precious resources are going to need rather than wealth. The fed has been handing out the stockpile, which Trump just admitted is almost depleted. When that happens - things are going to get ugly fast.
      Does the US government have the legal right to tell factories to build medical equipment, when a war has not been declared?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        If the first case showed up in mid November and it takes 3-14 days for symptoms to show up, how long would it had taken hospital workers to show signs of COVID19 infection? Not too long.
        Pix - we only knew the first case was mid-November as the result of studies and investigations completed in March. What we do know is that on December 30th, China reported to the WHO a "cluster of pneumonia cases." According to the WSJ

It was on Dec. 10 that Wei Guixian, a seafood merchant in this city’s Hua’nan market, first started to feel sick. Thinking she was getting a cold, she walked to a small local clinic to get some treatment and then went back to work.

Eight days later, the 57-year-old was barely conscious in a hospital bed, one of the first suspected cases ...

These are some of the things we know. You are projecting current knowledge on a past when that knowledge did not exist, and then making amazing assumptions about what was going on inside of China - and couching those assumptions with a level of certainty you cannot justify.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Pix - we only knew the first case was mid-November as the result of studies and investigations completed in March. What we do know is that on December 30th, China reported to the WHO a "cluster of pneumonia cases." According to the WSJ

It was on Dec. 10 that Wei Guixian, a seafood merchant in this city’s Hua’nan market, first started to feel sick. Thinking she was getting a cold, she walked to a small local clinic to get some treatment and then went back to work.

Eight days later, the 57-year-old was barely conscious in a hospital bed, one of the first suspected cases ...

These are some of the things we know. You are projecting current knowledge on a past when that knowledge did not exist, and then making amazing assumptions about what was going on inside of China - and couching those assumptions with a level of certainty you cannot justify.
          It’s amazing you’ll accept the mere word of a country that destroyed lab samples and silenced doctors, but the bad Orange man must be stopped, even if it takes the word of proven liars to do it.
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• http://cointelegraph.com/news/todays...erstand-crypto

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I've not seen this. Sources?
            http://www.knoxviews.com/last-week-280- million-mask-us-sold-foreign-buyers
            Last edited by JimL; 04-02-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

No, you should have said China had to have known for days or maybe weeks. Not months.
              November, December, January. How many months is that?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Dec. 10th the first patient came down with the virus, which wasn't understood at the time, Dec. 31st China informed the WHO. That's weeks, too long, but not months.

Comment

Do your own maths, troll.

Either you know that you shouldn't be including the whole of January, in which case you're lying, or you don't, in which case you're unbelievably stupid. Either way, I'm no longer interested.
                  Last edited by Roy; 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Does the US government have the legal right to tell factories to build medical equipment, when a war has not been declared?
                    Yes. The Defense Production Act allows for harnessing these businesses for anything that has to do with defending the nation, which includes against a pandemic. "Defense" is not just "military" and "war."
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

It’s amazing you’ll accept the mere word of a country that destroyed lab samples and silenced doctors, but the bad Orange man must be stopped, even if it takes the word of proven liars to do it.
                      OK - so you're back to turning an argument into what was not said - attacking it - and then attacking the messenger.

We're done, Pix. I no longer have time for your foolishness. When/if you ever become serious about exploring the issues and looking at the facts, let me know and I'll be happy to chat.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Dec. 10th the first patient came down with the virus, which wasn't understood at the time, Dec. 31st China informed the WHO. That's weeks, too long, but not months.
                        Let it go, Jim. She's trolling and we're all guilty of "feeding the trolls." I'm sure if we all stop responding to their foolishness, eventually they'll get bored and move on.

ETA: I will acknowledge, however, that it is sometimes difficult to watch people misrepresent your points and spread lies without feeling a desire to respond. We're all human. Fight the feeling!
                        Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Funny, even Chinese sources indicate that sick people begin showing up in mid November.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Do your own maths, troll.

Either you know that you shouldn't be including the whole of January, in which case you're lying, or you don't, in which case you're unbelievably stupid. Either way, I'm no longer interested.
                            Or I’m counting like lots of people do and not using precise wording, troll.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yes. The Defense Production Act allows for harnessing these businesses for anything that has to do with defending the nation, which includes against a pandemic. "Defense" is not just "military" and "war."
                              Now, how long will it take for industry to respond and begin production and meet the increased demand? Days? Weeks? Months?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Let it go, Jim. She's trolling and we're all guilty of "feeding the trolls." I'm sure if we all stop responding to their foolishness, eventually they'll get bored and move on.
                                I’m not trolling at all. I’m watch you believe the mere word of a government that is proven liars, that lied to us all about this virus. I’ve also watched you try to rewrite history, blame Trump for all your problems, and think industry can magically produce things, to massively increased demand, in a few weeks time. At least you’re getting the suffering you wished for, so the bad Orange man may lose to one of the people who has been busy selling our industry to China, for decades.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment