Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I'd like evidence for your claims that
    - the WHO knew about human-to-human transmission of Covid-19 months before Jan 14th
    - the WHO and/or the CCP knew about Covid-19 in October.
    But none will be forthcoming, because you were spouting malignant nationalist ignorance as usual.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I can't believe you actually asked that question. The irony is
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Some are - some aren't. It depends on what the factory made previously and how much of a change it is to retool. Companies that were already making face masks of one type can generally retool quickly to make face masks of a different kind. Companies that make automobiles will take longer to retool to make ventilators. However, during WWII, in less than a year, Ford went from cars to 56,000 pound bombers in less than a year - and it wasn't a simple retooling: they built a complete plant from the ground up and applied assembly line techniques. They are looking now at possibly retooling to produce ventilators. That will indeed not happen instantly.

But cotton swabs for test kits? AFAICT, the only thing lacking for that problem to be solved is leadership and logistics.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

I can't believe you actually asked that question. The irony is
          Says the inventor of the Carp handwave, that merely hand waves away anything that goes against his narrative.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Some are - some aren't. It depends on what the factory made previously and how much of a change it is to retool. Companies that were already making face masks of one type can generally retool quickly to make face masks of a different kind. Companies that make automobiles will take longer to retool to make ventilators. However, during WWII, in less than a year, Ford went from cars to 56,000 pound bombers in less than a year - and it wasn't a simple retooling: they built a complete plant from the ground up and applied assembly line techniques. They are looking now at possibly retooling to produce ventilators. That will indeed not happen instantly.

But cotton swabs for test kits? AFAICT, the only thing lacking for that problem to be solved is leadership and logistics.
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-01-2020, 08:41 AM.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Ford was asked to start the shift in 1941 and achieved his goal of one plane per hour by early 1945, IIRC. However, your simplistic "it took a year" is just that: simplistic. As previously noted - complex things took longer, and simple things happened quickly. And even the complex things had a ramp. Ford didn't produce his first plane in 1945 - he achieved his goal of 1 per hour in 1945. By then thousands of planes had been produced by his plants.

If you don't count any actions until the U.S. was "fully switched," then it wasn't "fully switched" until close to the end of the war because retooling and shifting production happened throughout the war. As noted - some things switched overnight - some did not.

The same should be true for this situation. However, unlike the war, this is a pandemic that is moving amazingly fast. Time = additional deaths. Trump's stop/go beginning and mixed messaging lost our country precious weeks. The same is still happening in many states that are not taking the situation seriously. And the lack of action on many fronts is costly to all of us. A few things have been done well - but overall the response has been meh.

Yeah - I know - I know - "but the Chinese lied!" I've heard it before...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                What do you want evidence for?

China lying?
                The WHO repeating those lies?
                The Chinese engaging in cover ups?
                The Chinese destroying lab samples?

Are any of those facts, false?
                Your accusations concerning WHO. I documented the public records of WHO reporting the coronavirus progress.

The rest are true no problem as documented.

Comment

• First - I said nothing about "lab work." Second, we're talking about ramping production and redirecting supplies in the case of swabs - not necessarily retooling (although that can be part of it). Getting better? Yes. Solving the problem? Two months after we closed our borders to China - we STILL have a testing kit shortage. I realize you need to defend Mr. Trump at every turn, but that delay is inexcusable, and is costing lives. Testing is the primary source of knowledge about the spread of the disease, and the primary means of tracking. Without it, we are poorly informed about how to prioritize production, what to produce, when to produce it, and where to send it. Infected people are wandering around infecting other people. All in all - the infection lasts longer - causing greater harm to people and the economy that is so precious to so many on the right.

I lay that at the feet of our leadership.

Comment

• 'Might have!?!?!?!'

Still waiting for documentation and evidence concerning your accusations concerning WHO. The silence is over whelming.

Comment

Ford was asked to start the shift in 1941 and achieved his goal of one plane per hour by early 1945, IIRC. However, your simplistic "it took a year" is just that: simplistic. As previously noted - complex things took longer, and simple things happened quickly. And even the complex things had a ramp. Ford didn't produce his first plane in 1945 - he achieved his goal of 1 per hour in 1945. By then thousands of planes had been produced by his plants.
                      If you don't count any actions until the U.S. was "fully switched," then it wasn't "fully switched" until close to the end of the war because retooling and shifting production happened throughout the war. As noted - some things switched overnight - some did not.
                      The same should be true for this situation. However, unlike the war, this is a pandemic that is moving amazingly fast. Time = additional deaths. Trump's stop/go beginning and mixed messaging lost our country precious weeks. The same is still happening in many states that are not taking the situation seriously. And the lack of action on many fronts is costly to all of us. A few things have been done well - but overall the response has been meh.
                      Thank decades of moving factories overseas, actions that took place over Democrat and Republicans alike.

Yeah - I know - I know - "but the Chinese lied!" I've heard it before...
                      They did, and our politicians and business leaders sold us down the river by moving key manufacturing over to China. China is our enemy that has been working at destroying us from within, when will you wake up to this fact?
                      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-01-2020, 10:13 AM.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        'Might have!?!?!?!'

Still waiting for documentation and evidence concerning your accusations concerning WHO. The silence is over whelming.
                        What documents Shuny?

That the current head of the WHO owes his position to China?
                        That the WHO tweeted that human to human transmission was impossible in January, when China knew this was a lie?

What one of these, is false?
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I thought that China's lies and the WHO covering for them was common knowledge at this point.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'd like evidence for your claims that
                            - the WHO knew about human-to-human transmission of Covid-19 months before Jan 14th
                            You claimed that: "I noticed you flat ignored that

You have no evidence for that timeframe. None.
                            - the WHO and/or the CCP knew about Covid-19 in October.
                            I said some reports suggest they might have, but for sure knew something was up by mid November.
                            So again no evidence. "The lilpix shuffle".

You've now had several chances to either explain how the WHO knew about human-to-human transmission of Covid-19 months before Jan 14th or admit your mistake, but have chosen diversions and insults instead.

Adios.
                            Last edited by Roy; 04-01-2020, 11:22 AM.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

What documents Shuny?
                              I cited the references concerning WHO.

That the current head of the WHO owes his position to China?
                              Changing the subject, does not concern documentation of your claim.

That the WHO tweeted that human to human transmission was impossible in January, when China knew this was a lie?
                              References and documents please from who. You have referenced nothing so far.

Still waiting . . .

What one of these, is false?
                              Specifically that WHO made the statement that the coronavirus was not human to human transmission.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-01-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

And as I recall, WWII lasted from Dec 1941 to Sept 1945 and it took over a year for US production to fully switch to produce wartime material ...
                                LPOT apparently doesn't know about anything outside of America. She certainly doesn't know that the US were producing wartime material long before the Pearl Harbour attack, supplying Britain and Soviet Russia with tanks, aircraft, and weapons.
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment